Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this has been asked before, and I just searched what I think was every instruction/suggestion on various threads and FAQ's.

I just changed the oil on my 2011 650 Exec., and I can't get the cursed dash oil light to disappear.

I've got the scoot on the centerstand, and I'd like to start putting the Tupperware back on before I fall asleep in the oil drain pan.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Didn't lose the manual...just my mind. I got it reset. Thanks.

I think I know now that I shouldn't start repairing/maintaining stuff after 5pm. At the moment that I pushed the button on the garage door opener to CLOSE the door on a half-full plastic container of used motor oil (that I forgot to move out of the way), that's when I should have put the tools aside till tomorrow.

Ya see, I was using the right procedure to reset the oil change timer, but I was staring at the oil light to the left of the instrument cluster, waiting for it to blink and go out...which of course it wouldn't until I started the engine. While transfixed on that light, I didn't notice the alpha "change oil" blinking and going out in the RIGHT side of the cluster. So basically I successfully reset the oil change mileage counter a gazillion times (well, almost), and endured yet another 4 hour oil change.

At least I learned from last year's transmission oil change fiasco...that was when I poured about 3 quarts of oil into the clutch housing?, instead of the transmission. This time, I measured and poured the correct amount of oil directly into the trans oil check opening, bypassing the crazy location of the oil fill hole.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my indicator light is not lit, but as I have no idea when the last change was done I intend to do a full fluid change this weekend as I am close to the 5000 km mark.

can I reset everything even tho its not lit up?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread but since were on the subject of oil changes does anyone know what would be the exact equivalent of the manuals recommendation on the amount of oil to add w/filter based on the measurements that are on the quart bottles of oil. I know it's more than 3 quarts but it's that **** last quart of oil that always has me confused. What exactly is the equivalent of the .1 on a quart of oil?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread but since were on the subject of oil changes does anyone know what would be the exact equivalent of the manuals recommendation on the amount of oil to add w/filter based on the measurements that are on the quart bottles of oil. I know it's more than 3 quarts but it's that **** last quart of oil that always has me confused. What exactly is the equivalent of the .1 on a quart of oil?
1/10th quart. It's not like your gonna measure it or that it will always be the same depending on usage/how it's changed. Put in 3 quarts start the bike, shut it off, and fill to the sight glass. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
MJR thank you for that response. That's exactly what I did. I put in 3 quarts and then followed the manuals suggestion to start the bike and let it run for 3 mins and then shut if off and let it stand for 3 mins before checking the site glass. I then refilled the bike using the site glass and filled until is was between the lower and upper line. Everything looked okay. (By the way I ended up using half of the bottle to top it off)
What concerns me now is everytime I park the scoot after a ride and go back to check the site glass it is full of oil and now seems to always show the site glass as full above the top line. Did I overfill it since you stated 1/10th of the quart and I ended up using half of the quart to topp it off?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
MJR thank you for that response. That's exactly what I did. I put in 3 quarts and then followed the manuals suggestion to start the bike and let it run for 3 mins and then shut if off and let it stand for 3 mins before checking the site glass. I then refilled the bike using the site glass and filled until is was between the lower and upper line. Everything looked okay. (By the way I ended up using half of the bottle to top it off)
What concerns me now is everytime I park the scoot after a ride and go back to check the site glass it is full of oil and now seems to always show the site glass as full above the top line. Did I overfill it since you stated 1/10th of the quart and I ended up using half of the quart to topp it off?
On all mine I fill it to the top line since they usually use some oil between changes. As long as you add a little and wait each time looking at the sight glass on level ground on the centerstand it shouldn't change much as oil doesn't expand greatly between cold/hot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks MJR appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I put 3 quarts in mine and forget it. When I check it later, it is fine. Mine doesn't use any oil between changes. There are oil change "kits" that only have 3 quarts in them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts