Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 AN400
I'm chasing an electrical prob- partly melted ignition relay- I'd like to test starter for amps.
I have a VOM, can someone tell me how to connect it from relay to starter? Such as, in series, or parallel.
Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Paging Dave_J major electrical question on isle one !

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You won't be able to use a VOM for that. To measure current you have to connect the meter in series with the circuit and all the current flowing in the circuit will flow through the meter. The max for most meters is usually 10 amps and a starter will draw much more than that.

Typically a meter for measuring high currents will use a heavy shunt to carry most of the current and the meter will measure a smaller current in a parallel circuit. There are also non-invasive DC clamp meters available but they are fairly expensive. Best thing would be to find someone (electrician, mechanic, etc.) who has one you could borrow, or take it to an auto mechanic or a shop that specializes in auto electrics.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. My VOM does have an amp function, but the lead wires are thin. I wonder if Auto Zone can test. Thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you tried it with a standard meter you would either fry the meter\leads, or pop the internal fuse if it has one. AutoZone might be able to do it if they have a garage.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes.
I forgot the obvious question, how many amps should the starter draw.........
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Maybe Dave would know. Don't think I've ever seen current listed. Most times the only concern is does it spin or not.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I have not found any official current draw figures for any Burgmans.
On some of the Triumph and Kawasaki forums over the years I have found that they figure the battery is rated 4 times the starter draw, the battery on my 650 is a YTX14-BS, 12V 12AH 200 Cold Cranking Amps so figure the starter draws no more than 50 amps. Weighs 10 pounds.

The Burgman 400 uses a YTX9-BS, 12V 8AH 135 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) so a quick figure, no more than 34 Amps starter draw. Weighs 6.70 pounds.

The Kawasaki off road KLR650 groups are concerned with weight reduction so they always want to replace the heavy lead acid battery with a lighter lithium LiFePO4 18650 cells in the minimum amount of cells to do the job. Each 18650 is 3.7 Nominal so 4 will give you 14.8 volts at a 80% charge. A single 18650 is 2.6 amp hours. 2.6 amps can be drawn for one hour.
My guess is that for street riding you would need 16 cells wired in 4 sets of 4 each for a shorter discharge time. Weight without the required Battery Maintence System is 1.70 pounds. That would be 14.8 V at 10.4 Amp hour, close to the YTX14-BS above. 8 pounds lighter.
For a Burgman 400 you may get away with 3 sets of 4 each 18650 for a 7.8 Amp hour. Weight is 1.3 pounds, saving 5.4 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts