Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a AN650AK8 from a friend. That Burgman was more or less abandoned in a backyard for about 3 years. It have 25000km and it goes very well, but obviously it needs a fair amount of maintenance.

My current doubs are about the rear wheel: i don't know what should i "protect" before start brushing and degrasing the rims (i hope i have not to sand and buff them), what should i disassemble and what i should not, if there's part i should'nt touch, what to degrase and what to grease after... i'd like a bit of a guide and tips to do it safe and well.

The ball bearings seems smooth and good, so i will like to avoid any "mechanical" work: just make it look good again.

So, how should i proceed to clean my rear wheel?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
after 3 years the tire will have to be replaced, the bearings should also be re greased,( so, remove the tire, bearings, wait till wifey goes shopping, put all the parts in the dishwasher and give it a run, be sure to have an alibi when swmbo comes home and sees the greasy black interior of the washer. Might even be a good idea to have a shiney new bauble to give her hidden nearby just in case she won't let you back in the house.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after 3 years the tire will have to be replaced, the bearings should also be re greased,( so, remove the tire, bearings, wait till wifey goes shopping, put all the parts in the dishwasher and give it a run, be sure to have an alibi when swmbo comes home and sees the greasy black interior of the washer. Might even be a good idea to have a shiney new bauble to give her hidden nearby just in case she won't let you back in the house.)
LOL, ok :laugh

What worries me is that .... thing on top of the left side (where the ABS wheel is):

can i wash/degrease it? there's rubber parts inside the rim, should i avoid to wet, clean, or even touch that?
Or can i go without fears with Fulcron and soap?

·
Registered
921 Posts
first clean the bearing area. use brake cleaner and then use hi temp bearing grease. then wrap it it all up to the edge of the assembly.
for the rim and abs disc/brake rotors, use over cleaner and dish brush/bristles scrubber.. dont use a metal scrubber. just a plastic bristled brush.
rinse it first, then spray some over cleaner. wear gloves and a mask. youll have to work it with elbow grease. dont let it sit for more then 5 minutes or so.
scrub an area, if its not cooperating, leave it and go to another area, then go back, rinse it down. ill use some wd40 on the rim afterwards.
maybe consider covering the air valve as well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
For cleaning the wheel, I would cover up the bearings and seals with plastic and tape, and then soak the wheels with a commercial automobile wheel cleaner/degreaser. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then scrub it with a soft brush or rag. Spray it with a hose, then repeat if needed.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just be aware, the rims are clear coated. If you clean too vigorously as to go through to bare aluminum then you will have quite a job on your hands fixed best by painting the rims at that point. I have stripped and polished a set of rims off of a 400 to a chrome like shine and it's almost impossible to keep them looking great even with the proper coatings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all.

Sadly, my rims are stained and the coating sometime is chipped: i could'nt get them much better.
I think i'll plastidip them for this year, and powder-paint them black the next winter, when i'll have (hopefully) to change the tires. The painters want them without the bearings, and i don't want to remove (and then change) them now, 'cause the allowed budget is near to finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts