Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I had a total right hip replacement about 2.5 weeks ago.

I'm bugging my home PT guy to make sure I can get on/off the scoot ok (I can drive he wife's van ok - my car may be a bit tricker - it's a bit lower to the ground but the steering wheel can be moved up). The test will be when we pop the scoot off the center stand on to the side stand. I've been able to put full pressure on the right leg since day one (at first with pain but now I can walk (ok, waddle some) without the cane for short distances (I won't go far without the cane).

What I need help with is figuring out how to get down on the ground and then up again to I can check/adjust the air pressure, not just on the Burg but on all the vehicles. I know I can crawl on my knees (I get in to bed that way) and I know which way NOT to twist the leg right now and why. Knowing "why" makes it a lot easier to make sure I don't violate that rule. :D

So, for any of you all who belong to the "fake hip" club, what SAFE suggestions can you make to me? I've thought about putting a ladder or step stool there and pulling myself up a rung at a time but that just doesn't sound overly workable.

I hate to "phone a friend" and have him phone a friend (he can't get down low either, but one of his Goldwing buddies could). I'm a bit of an independent cuss when I can be, but not a fool if it's going to cause problems. Oh yes, the beloved wife would be on deck when I try this just in case she's needed. She's such a blessing!

Thanks,

Bruce

PS: BTW, an answer such as don't try it isn't what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Bruce,

I know this isn't the whole answer you need but I've taken the grief out of tire pressure checking by installing those valve stem caps that show a green band if the pressure is holding or a red band if the pressure has dropped. At least I don't have to crawl down there unnecessarily. Good luck to you. Sonbo

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, but while I'm "down there" I'd like to also check the tires on the van and my car, along with the spares.

I did a small test tonight and at least I can get in and somewhat comfortably drive both vehicles - so at least I'm not totally homebound anymore. WOO-HOO!!!!!

I failed to mention that I've got 90 degree metal angled valve stems. If my air compressor had a straight fitting it would be great but it doesn't. However, it has served me faithfully now for I'm guess fifteen years. It has that old clip on lock and I just wish there was a way to make it to a straight type of connector - sure would make life easier.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanks, but while I'm "down there" I'd like to also check the tires on the van and my car, along with the spares.

I did a small test tonight and at least I can get in and somewhat comfortably drive both vehicles - so at least I'm not totally homebound anymore. WOO-HOO!!!!!

I failed to mention that I've got 90 degree metal angled valve stems. If my air compressor had a straight fitting it would be great but it doesn't. However, it has served me faithfully now for I'm guess fifteen years. It has that old clip on lock and I just wish there was a way to make it to a straight type of connector - sure would make life easier.
What is your rush....???????? This is a great time to get all that sympathy you have been craving for..... And also find out who your REAL friends are.....!!!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Friends? Seriously? I worked at one elementary school for eight years - got one card from the social committee. I worked at another school for one year - not a peep. I'm on my third school and the social committee sent a plant and a gift card. Teachers in my district are so overwhelmed with all the crap that admin puts on them they hardly have time to breath. I remember a former first grade teacher that would stay until 9p many times - a first grade teacher - that's crazy.

My beloved has babied me when I've asked for it, but good grief, I'm still a bit of an independent old cuss and she respects that. It's better than one of these whiney kiddie husbands who thinks they're going to die when they get a paper cut.

I drove to church yesterday in the van - no problem. I got in and out of my Buick last night with no problem. I "insisted" that the home PT guy get me a way to check my tire pressure* so next week it's off to outpatient. I could have done it this week if I had told the home PT guy I was driving.

Riding is one of my three stress relievers - lifting heavy in the gym is another (one I may never be able to go back to**) and the other one, let's just say that time has dealt a cruel blow to it.

Anyway, I'd like to find a way to put a different end on my air pump. It's been a good pump for about 15 years but it's got that blasted thumb lock on it and that's a royal pain, esp. on these metal angled valve stems.

Last of the age of steel, chrome and iron - not of the age of plastic, fiberglass and excuses.

* Will try it when the wife gets home later today. Have a backup idea handy just it case - let's be prepared!

** It just felt so good when a big 30 something year old would come up and admire the weight I was pushing around (eg: 110 pound dumbbell bench press - yes, that's 110# in each arm). I don't look like a body builder or power lifter - just someone who needs to loose a bit of weight - I'm 55 yo btw.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Hips are still OK here, but 2 bad knees to deal with.
For checking tire air pressure, I get myself down on the floor
in a sitting position, & scoot myself around, so that I
get 1 leg on either side of the wheel, then scoot myself
around to the other wheel, keeping the air hose within reach.
Getting up ???? That's another story...............

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting up ???? That's another story...............
OK Paul Harvey, what's the rest of the story?

I may buy a new air pump that will supposedly shut off when the desired pressure is reached. Sure makes it easier than having to undo that confounded lever snap each time. If I could modify my air hose to be more like a gas station one, then I'd be tickled. Just hold it on until it's time to put the gauge on it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike tires aired up!

Bike off center stand on to side stand.

Now all that's left is to put the battery cover back on, fire it up and take off.

WOO-HOO - guess what I've got planned for this week? It's supposed to be in the low-mid 30s and rainy in the next week or so.

Now, let's see how long it takes the wife to realize that all this stuff has been done. :laughing4:

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
OK Paul Harvey, what's the rest of the story?
I have a small metal stool on 4 wheels....was used by office workers
when spending time in the long rows of file cabinets.....
kinda looks like a 'milking-stool'.
I keep it close by also, & use it to lean on, to help myself get up.
I sorta roll over on it, so I look like I'm doing a push-up, then stand
up from that position. Keeps me off my knees. The rest of the story.

·
Administrator
21,765 Posts
<<<SNIP>>>Now, let's see how long it takes the wife to realize that all this stuff has been done. :laughing4:
Bruce, ya going ta need surgery to remove that KNOT in the back of your head she puts there when she finds out. :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

Now, before bad weather starts coming in later this week, I wonder how long I should ride and if I should just stay on local streets, etc.?

BTW, wifey doesn't know that I've got the bike prepped and ready to go - all I need to do is just pop the battery case cover back on and fire it up.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Hey Bruce, I had my left hip swapped out for a fake one just over 7 years ago. For putting air in tires I have a stool on wheels I got before the hip surgery from Griot's Garage. It has a parts tray at the bottom and a small drawer that pulls out under the seat. I would say as long as the hip feels strong try riding, but don't push your luck. It takes a while for the muscles and connective tissue to toughen up. I drove my truck about a week and a half after surgery, I just did the entry and exit slowly. Good luck!
Wes

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave_J, there will be no knot in the back of my head unless some moron in a vehicle hits me, in which all bets are off and the lawyers are called in.

It's still a bit "tight" to get on and off, but then, it's a bit tight to get in and out of the van, even more so in my Buick (sits lower to the ground).

I basically got down on one knee, did each tire and then stood up. I had a ladder there to give me something to grab hold to if needed, but I guess all those years of hack squats, etc. may have actually done some good. To be honest, I was up and down on a ladder reattaching smoke and CO detectors in to the ceilings (some as high as 15' to 18' tall) just before surgery. Hey, someone had to do it.

I'll see about reporting back tomorrow. I'll probably just hang around town. It will be hard - Cloud Runner and I both like the open highway (think Bob Seger here).

·
Registered
280 Posts
It sounds like America has done away with driveway service at the local petrol station.
An idea would be to let it known that you will show for free local lads, girls the way to service and maintain a scooter on Saturday mornings and use your scooter as the guinea pig then they can do their own LOL you get them to do tyre pressures, oil changes etc while you just flap your gums with no bending down.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I believe the real trick is to be a lovely young lady. I'll bet that if that were true you could eventually talk them into bringing the petrol and filling it up for you in your garage!
:tongue3:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'd buy a TPMS and forget about it.

·
Administrator
21,765 Posts
Ropes, Pulleys, a sling and hoist to lift it up to eye level. (Where is that old evil smilly when ya need it) (found it) :twisted:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts