Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little summary: after a trip on the highway my scooter start to vibrate. I don't mean "oscillate", but a "low", "deep" vibration coming from the frame, i feel it mostly from the feet and from my butt, and maybe from the handlebar. I describe that vibration using adjectives related to sound even if i can't hear it, but it really "goes up" on my body like if it was a sound. Like when you "feel" a subwoofer in a concert, rather than hearing it.

This vibration is regular and "precise": always the same frequency, his intensity is "linear". It does'nt change with speed, and it does'nt change with engine RPM, but i feel it mostly when i'm below 3000 rpm, so when accelerating or releasing the throttle. Each roundabout, each redlight, when i go below 3KRPM it comes out, when i go over it mostly disappear.

My mechanics says that his experiences says that it may be the belt going to break, i'm low on KM (near to 39000) but he think that, being the scoot abandoned for 3 years out in the weather, the belt could be degraded. He said that he isn't 100% sure: it could be an engine "gummy support" (sorry, i lack the name) or a bearing, but he think it is belt at 90%.

So i looked at the Pulley bolt, which I changed during quaranteen and it show small signs in the same positions of the older one, and looked inside the CVT air intake (removing the filter) searching for gummy/metal dust and found nothing.

There's some mechanics at Rome which do a CVT revision: they works with machines and put on 2 more "keys" making it "the same" as the newer CVTs (actually, the guy said that Suzuki copied his solution, being him a Suzuki mechanic at the time) and restore everything. The price is between 700 to 1200€ .

How can i even think to spend that money without being sure the problem is the Belt?
Which bring another question: how can i be sure?
I removed all the "internal" tupperware, exposing the engine and the frame, and hoping to see something clearly "moving", but nothing seems wrong. With the CVT air intake exposed i can listen to the CVT noises (as long as i'm stationary*), but i don't know how it should sound so i can't tell if it's wrong or not.
*Well, i could even mount a GoPRO over the intake and record the noises, if needed.

Here you go, guys: your experience helped me from 2014 when i bought the 400, so i'm hoping in your experience again:
what should i look for before taking the CVT revision as necessary?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Never had a belt go so cannot comment if it would vibrate in any way before it does. Generally belts either break or they don't. I doubt it would cause the vibration you refer to though as there is nothing to vibrate both pulley's are on bearings so unless a bearing goes bang or the stopper bolt or the pulley bolt I would say not the CVT. On the other hand things that will cause vibration are worn front tyre front wheel bearings front tyre not balanced. The mirrors. Missing fairing screws particularly the ones below the headlights set back into a recess they fall out and you never notice.

Out of balance throttle bodies but this is unlikely the vibration you are feeling. Burgmans do vibrate generally from pulling away to 3k RPM then it smooths out. I would suggest checking all of the above and a cursory check on the engine mounting bolts two are below the centre cover between the seat and the throttle bodies although the rear one would necessitate removing the other cover in front of the seat so you need to remove the seat. The other one is above the swing arm pivot. Even stuff in your glove boxes can give you vibration dependant what you keep in there. Voyage of discovery is required.
My 95,000km burgman is like a tuning fork at Low RPM but it always has been it has just got worse the higher miles I have done as all the fixing points particularly where the plastic pop fixings are are worn so no longer a tight fit.

Unfortunatly the only way to fully check the CVT is to take it off the bike and open it up

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks!

Never had a belt go so cannot comment if it would vibrate in any way before it does. Generally belts either break or they don't. I doubt it would cause the vibration you refer to though as there is nothing to vibrate both pulley's are on bearings so unless a bearing goes bang or the stopper bolt or the pulley bolt I would say not the CVT.
The explanation i got is somewhat like "The vibration is the belt breaking which it is no more symmetrical".

On the other hand things that will cause vibration are worn front tyre front wheel bearings front tyre not balanced.
I think these all would be "in function" of speed. I tried to run at <3k RPM with different gears (so different speed) and really the vibration depends on the RPM.

The mirrors. Missing fairing screws particularly the ones below the headlights set back into a recess they fall out and you never notice.
Checked the screws, i have them all. Mirrors seems solid.

Even stuff in your glove boxes can give you vibration dependant what you keep in there.
I've already removed all the "matt", internal plastics, and the trunk is empty, so i'm sure i have no stuffs rattling around.

Out of balance throttle bodies but this is unlikely the vibration you are feeling. Burgmans do vibrate generally from pulling away to 3k RPM then it smooths out.
Sorry for my poor english.... what are the "throttle bodies"?

I would suggest checking all of the above and a cursory check on the engine mounting bolts two are below the centre cover between the seat and the throttle bodies although the rear one would necessitate removing the other cover in front of the seat so you need to remove the seat. The other one is above the swing arm pivot.
How should i check this? looking if they're tight? or ... what? i really don't know what to look at to do the check.

Unfortunatly the only way to fully check the CVT is to take it off the bike and open it up
yup :/

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
i think the belt can be eyeballed a little by running a scope in thru the cooling filter area, do you know a good proctologist or gynecologist ?

Reactions: Parduz

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
i think the belt can be eyeballed a little by running a scope in thru the cooling filter area, do you know a good proctologist or gynecologist ?
I always use that line.....I’m not a gynecologist but I’ll take a look at it 🤓

You might look for something like this Parduz:

Reactions: Rusty J and Parduz

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
I always use that line.....I’m not a gynecologist but I’ll take a look at it 🤓
having a doctorate degree from a mail in university ($49.95 , $55.00 for the gold bordered certificate) in procrastination, I don't confuse them with details, I just say I'm a doctor and let it go at that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a GREAT idea, as my friend already has an USB endoscope like the one linked by @DarisPakar. Dunno why i did'nt think at this myself.

You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
having a doctorate degree from a mail in university ($49.95 , $55.00 for the gold bordered certificate) in procrastination, I don't confuse them with details, I just say I'm a doctor and let it go at that.
I keep meaning to get one of those.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Sounds like typical 3k RPM vibration all of my burgies have it, just steer clear of that spot when accelerating.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updates:
  • another mechanic confirmed that the vibrations are coming from the belt, but he said that this is normal and i should not worry until it becomes "rough" whatever the RPM are (the first one instead was much more alarming and told me "i'd avoid to do travels"). My guts feeling tends to agree with the second one, but i'm not a man that trusts gut feelings so i'm a bit on the fence
  • the endoscopic inspection is difficutl: the cam is too long to enter from the air intake, so i should remove the sensor (being it "directly" over the belt) or perhaps the motor, to find a larger entrance. I'm uncertain about messing with the sensor.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If it's 2013-> 650 they all vibrate at low rpm 2,800 @ 60kph, doesn't start to get smooth until 70/75k->

Greg

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Parduz, did ya use the endoscope?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parduz, did ya use the endoscope?
Nope.
After my post above i though that i have that spare engine lying in the basement, complete with broken CVT, so i tested the sensor hole there and i wasnt able to find a route to see the belt. Perhaps a very tiny cam can do it, but as mine is about a inch long it is impossible to make some "turns"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts