Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since June I've been the proud owner of a silver 650. Purchased it with 1,100 miles and now have over 4,000. I'm a high school teacher at not one of your better high schools in the state of Mississippi. I ride my scoot to work on a daily basis, some 25 miles one way.

The thing is I don't park at school but just down the street, indoors, where the district keeps school vehicles. It's a really great set up for me. But anyway, to my point. One of my students is a Harley owner believe it or not, and he says the Burgman is for kids. He said it was for beginners and too easy to ride. I tried to explain to him, that it shouldn't be difficult to ride. Many of my other students picture an old fashioned Moped also when I tell them I'd ride a scooter.

I guess my point in all this is, we've still got a ways to go before we impress the younger generation. Of course when I was 17 (I'm now 35), the big, flashly Harley would have appealed more to me, too. At least if I didn't have to ride it more than 25 miles.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
jkrerol15 wrote

I guess my point in all this is, we've still got a ways to go before we impress the younger generation. Of course when I was 17 (I'm now 35), the big, flashly Harley would have appealed more to me, too. At least if I didn't have to ride it more than 25 miles.
The thing is by some standards your still a kid also. :)
When I hit 60 I realized I did not have to impress anyone but myself. :wink:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh to be 35 again-He## I would settle for 50 :(

·
Registered
605 Posts
let me tell you a true story....

Just last weekend we had the 26th Vancouver toy run and there was a charity for raffle for a 1200 Harley. There were over 5,000 bikes in attendance and let me tell you lots of Harley and big cc japanese wana be's. After a person approached me, asking if I wanted to buy a ticket I said, " Sorry I don't even like Harleys....all those tatoos and facial shrapnel are not my style...you can't get me to fork over $10 to join this motely crowd". Eveyone trying to be different but in the process of trying they all seem to be looking all the same...that describes the person who rides a Harley.

BTW I went to the event on my Burgman 400....

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
One of my students is a Harley owner believe it or not, and he says the Burgman is for kids. He said it was for beginners and too easy to ride. I tried to explain to him, that it shouldn't be difficult to ride.
By his logic, only new drivers should have automatics in cars. While we're at it, as a driver progresses in skill, take away the cruise control, power steering, and power brakes. :roll:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Young Harley riders

In my observations, your young Harley rider is the exception. Most Harley riders are older because of the cost and cruising style of the Harley. My son, 19, and all his friends are into the sport bikes. I don't think that we would ever "win" them over.

If we took a poll of our forum riders, at least here in the States, our mean age is probably over 45. I think the main difference between ourselves and the Harley riders is we choose comfort over style. We have riders that have just come into the sport, and those with lots of two wheel experience on various bikes migrating to the new maxi-scooters.

Until the G-Strider comes out, or something comparable, I think that we greybeards will be riding alone.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yah. I've seen what these young kids drive for cars. Little Toyota's or Dodge Colts, with no engine, loud exhaust, and ridiculous sub-woofer's. Doesn't impress me in the least. They'll grow up someday. (Probably won't be able to hear anymore though...) Meanwhile, live and let live. Being older has some drawbacks of course, but it is great being able to enjoy what you really want to ride without being scared to death of what your "friends" will think. I'm 57, and I'm having a ball!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I AM JUST 18 AND I OWN A HONDA REFLEX. I SEE NO DIFFERENT OTHER THAN THE Automatic it is the same as motorcycle it just have a scooter outercase and Automatic. if it look like a sport bike they would problemly think it big and bad. I am sure the burgman 650 can beat some of them Harley. and it lot cheaper it problemley got more storage than his costly Harley. People would as not steal as much because THEY think a slow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
... I guess my point in all this is, we've still got a ways to go before we impress the younger generation. ...
The boys need to learn that scooters are great for picking up girls. And the girls need to learn that they don't need stupid boys to pick them up because they can ride these things too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I can easily picture the Harley kid at the school you teach at looking down on scooters, I've even seen kids harrass others cause they wear the wrong sneakers... I LIKE THE WAY MY "BIG DOG" BURGMAN 650 LOOKS! I Love the way it feels on the highway and in the twisties. I bought the bike for function, not as a "Status Symbol"

It is just a matter of preference. Most of my friends were amazed when I bought the Burg instead of a big cruiser. They were surprised a "big bad tatooed dude" would go with a scooter. Then again some of these same folks also wonder why I do not have any piercings.

To me the big scoot is just another motorcycle. There are cruisers, sport bikes, off road bikes and scooters or "open frame bikes". I felt that with some back problems the sitting posture was better for me on the big scoot bike, and the storage ... well the storage can not be beat. I ride to work whenever it is dry and my powerbook and briefcase fit nicely in the trunk. I can also out manuver the big cruisers.

I've noticed most of the Harley riders around here (NJ) wave and will even ask questions once the catch up with me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I tell people that if you have any vanity at all, don't buy a scooter. However, if you are NOT vane and are not concerned about how others perceive you, then buy a scooter and if that's not enough performance, buy a sportbike. I mean, the only real reason to buy a cruiser is for looks as they simply don't measure up functionally to anything other two wheelers.

I work with a guy that bought a Honda Sabre 1100, almost killed himself, then sold it and decided against motorcycles. I had him take my Honda Helix around the parking lot at work. He came back with a look that was worth a thousand words. It's the same look that all folks like him have after they ride a superscoot.

The look is caused by thoughts of "why in the ^*&(^*&)& would anyone want to hold up, push, pull, shift, and battle wind and rain when you can just buy one of these?" Now they may not ever say this out loud, but at a minimum, they will respect you after their time on a scooter.

Most Harley folks that try to put me down, I ask if they ever rode a superscoot. If the answer is no, or usually "I wouldn't be caught dead....", then I know that they are vane, and to be sure, a vane American won't be caught dead on a scooter as they simply aren't cool in the US, whether it be young or old. They are getting there, but they are not there yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool dudes

Ask those Cool Dudes where they get those ball caps with the bills on the side or back, I can only find the ones with the bill on the front! Still riding at 73 and ride for comfort not vanity. 650 Burgman.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I find it interesting the number of bikers who say "it's not right that you drive with your feet forward" Take a look at their bikes. 99% of them will have equipped their bikes with highway pegs. This allows them to ride with their feet forward for comfort. The main difference is, I don't have to keep constantly moving my feet back to operate the gear shift lever and rear brake control. I keep my feet in a comfortable position at all times. For a change I can still move my feet back into the 'standard' riding position - but not for long!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the idea of "open frame bikes" Johnny Death. Good terminology.

Yeah, if only the doubters took a spin on a Burgman, 400 or 650, but especially the 650 because that's all I know, they probably would be thinking why the heck they bought what they did.

But I'm like many of you all, I think it looks awesome, especially up front. The only slight beef I have is with the size of the back tire and if all that were larger this would not be a scooter, and would cost twice as much, be harder to handle and so on.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't care much about looks. Heck, I rode a Helix for years....

;)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
It's not unusual for someone to ask about my 650 whenever I pull into a parking lot, gas pump, etc. At first I wouldn't tell them it was a scooter unless they asked. Now, after a few months and almost 3,000 miles, I find myself proudly telling them right off, "It's a scooter!".
I've had a lot of bikes over the years but my Burgman draws more interest and questions than any bike I've owned. Once I've explained how it operates and it's features and let them sit on it, most (including a lot of H-D riders) say how neat it is. These little "bike shows" are almost as much fun as riding. :D

Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want to pay for noise and vibration buy a Harley..

and if you want to have fun and enjoy buy a scooter.
Scooters are very popular in European cities.
But the fact is that many people buy scooters as a daily commuter.
It will never be a sport "toy" like sport bikes.
What I belive is that in the future we will see more touring bikes "convert" to big touring scooters (Automatic,Clean, room for Luggege etc.)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: Young Harley riders

drspencer48 said:
Until the G-Strider comes out, or something comparable, I think that we greybeards will be riding alone.
Ok, that's where I draw the line!! While I have no vanity about driving a maxiscooter, no way I'm growing a beard that's gray!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Young Harley riders

chuck807 said:
... no way I'm growing a beard that's gray!!
That's right! Skip the gray beard and go straight to white. Whilst in my early 30s my wife commented on "the amount of non-red" that was appearing in my beard. Yup, my beard was changing from red to white. Now, the red's totally gone and I'm a white beard.

There were two other events that happened at roughly the same time as my beard started turning. First, I became a father at 29. Second, I became a manager where I work. Correlation? Definitely! Causal relationship? Hmm, I wonder.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I take it back... there is one instance I can think of where I'd grow a gray beard. If ZZ-Top took me into their band!! They're motorcycle-riding, long gray bearded rockers! Actually here's a tidbit for you: the name of the only member of the band who doesn't have a beard (the drummer) is John Beard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts