Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I slow to a crawl & "step" over them? Or should I try to sail over them quickly? Or should I just forget trying to negotiate them altogether & avoid them like the plague?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd go for #1. :(

My .02

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Chuck - speed bumps and burgers. Nasty combo. I have a friend that lives in an apartment complex with those nasty lil boogers - and they aint that big either. I have to slow to a crawl or duck walk to get over them without scraping something (I wonder what scraped the first few times...? :roll: ) Oh well - since we are driving the Jag XKE equivalent of a motorcycle we'll just have to know our ground clearance ain't that great! :wink:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'd say go straight at them and slowly.

Sometimes, they don't stretch all the way to the curb... If you're the daring sort and believe the instructors when they told us "look where you want to go and the bike will go there", then you could try to squeeze between the curb and the speed bump. :shock:

Personally... I go slow. Like crawling speed.

Joe

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Like the Daddy Porcupine told his son about lovemaking. "Very carefully"

8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
346 Posts
If there's room to go around them, I do. Most of the ones here, though, I go over at the posted limit.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
My Burgman reminds me of a silver stallion, so I post over the bumps!
Patti

·
Registered
235 Posts
In the MSF course, we're taught to raise up off the seat slightly -- the bump won't jar you as much as you're likely to stay in better control. After you get over the speedbump, you can sit back down completely.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Happened to be riding my Reflex the other day and 1) Forgot I wasn't on the Burgman and 2) Didn't pay enough attention to the speedbump on a road near my house.

I hit the speedbump so hard my wife came completely off the seat and had to grab my jacket to hold on! :blob3:

After a second or two she started laughing but when I offered to hit the next one hard, she quickly shouted "NO!"

She's a great wife and friend. I know I'd never get on the back of a bike that I was driving! :lol:

So, to answer your question, I think you should go slow over the bumps.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
My experience, on many types of bikes, is that "posting" is the way to go over any significant bump.

On the 650 you can bring your feet back to the rear edge of the floorboard and rise up on the balls of your feet - almost like standing on the pegs of a dirt bike.

If you keep your legs flexed and your arms loose, keep your weight back for the front wheel and lean forward on the bars for the rear wheel - you can float over them at moderate speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts