Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were discussing,(Mostly I was listening.) regurading the age of my sons before they step foot on my bike as a rider. My oldest will be 3 in May. I wasnt going to let him ride on the back of me for awhile yet. I wanted to let him sit in front of me and putt putt around the block. Just curious of the ages of other young child riders.
-Bryan

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Riders

My daughter was 3 in 1977 and sat in front of me. I had a Suzuki GS 750 (waterbuffalo) we rode around the back yard and she loved it. I think it's easer on a Regular motorcycle because of the fuel tank for them to hang on to and not feel like there falling off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
In Minnesota, the law is:

"No person may ride as a passenger on the motorcycle unless the footrests on each side of the motorcycle can be reached with both feet."

That keeps the very young from taking part. Obviously, you should check the laws in your state.

·
Registered
857 Posts
age of young riders

Ah, Brian, I've had the same discussion with my wife. I've got a son age 3 3/4 and a daughter 2. I've had both of them on the Burgman (at different times) for very short (one block) rides in broad daylight, at very slow speeds. Mostly in our little cul-de-sac. They both love it.

BUT, I don't i'll have either one of them ride til they are quite a bit older. I would feel more comfortable if I had the Givi top case and the armrests that you are planning (nice photos on the new site), but it still would worry me more than a little to have them on the bike.

I've yet to check Arizona law, but I think they have to be 16 or so to ride...supposedly. I've seen some very young kids on bikes though. Some probably as young as 10.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I've taken my son on the back for rides. He is 8 yrs old but stands 5 ft tall.I did put the OEM backrest on this winter though just for my own piece of mind. He has a tendency to let go of my waist and put his arms out to the side like he's flying :lol: I'm pretty sure he enjoys it......every time we stop at a light I turn around to talk (check on) to him and he always has a grin from ear to ear. My oldest son at 14 I don't worry about, he stands 6'2"........he's 2" taller than me already :? Pretty soon at his rate of growth he will be able to touch the ground with his feet from the passenger seat.

I think that small trips around a cul de sac are ok for younger kids. However for roads with general traffic I think it's a good idea that the child be able to touch the foot pads. The only time I would disregard the foot pad rule is if the child was older but vertically challenged.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Back in '82, I took my 4 year old nephew on my CB400A near 74th and Cactus (Phoenix) for a jaunt to the gas station.
Cactus Road was dirt then and he was all excited but he cried on the way back
and I regretted going that far with him holding onto the tank in front of me while cars kicked up dust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kid Rider

Hi Guys,

Well I just purchased my 400 and my son is six years old and he is a little taller than average but he loves it. He looks very cool too.

Its great fun riding with my son. He looks cute in his helmet and goggles. He holds onto the hand rails in the back and rest up against the back rest for security. He feels very brave holding on himself.

I really feel it is a builder of confidence in himself when he rides on the bike. Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Take care,

George

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kid Driver

Talk about fun...
I let my 8 year old son drive me around while I sit on the passenger seat. I removed the driver backrest so there is more room in front for both of us or I can move back to the passenger area easily. He extends his feet forward on the floor boards. I feel safer with him riding in front as I can see over his helmet and I can control the bike from the rear position. The Burgman is easier to drive than the Z-50 he had since he was 6 years old.
If you are on the back of a 650 burg with no passenger back rest you really have to hold on. I'm afraid if I excel too fast from a stop, he’ll fly off the back if he’s just holding the rails. So when he’s on the back I make him hold on to me like one of those little Kawalla bears.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
In Washington (the state, not the city) the law says all passengers must be able to touch the foot pegs or running boards, and no one under the age of six can ride regardless of height.

It's pretty restrictive, but considering how short the attention spans of under-sixers can be, things like "hold on" and "don't try to get off until I say so" might not "stick." It's bad enough with some adults!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Kid Driver

Scutour said:
So when he’s on the back I make him hold on to me like one of those little Kawalla bears.
I took my daughter touring on my '85 Goldwing when she was 10 years old. Of course that full dress bike had a trunk and backrest, but she would get so comfortable back there that she would tend to fall asleep. So I had her ride with her arms around my waist and her fingers locked. When she started to nod off, I could feel her hands start to slip and I would lightly slap her fingers. That would wake her back up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi up here in canada and i would guess in the usa to ,you can get a harness affair that the child slips into that has a cushion thing with two handgrips between you and them and then there is a wide belt that goes around your waist so that there is no way they can come off the bike unless you go with them . a friend used one on his daughter for years with not one prolbem . they a worth about 200 bucks up here and very easy to sell when they are old enough to go without them

·
Registered
857 Posts
Son as a passenger?

I'm dusting off this old topic for a good reason - my son may be entering all day kindergarten this coming July, and I'd like to take him to school on my burgman 650.

He's about 40 inches tall now and growing fast. I'll have to check to see if his feet touch the floorboards as I have no idea. I also have to check AZ law, but I don't recall seeing anything on minimum age of passengers the last time I looked.

Doug - i'm interested in the harness you mention below. I've thought about getting the Givi topcase and creating some armrests and/or belt to hold him tighly to the seat. Don't know though.

Obviously, he would wear all gear including a helmet -which I have to search for to see if an XXS helmet would fit him even. I have no idea.

My co-workers are appalled that I would even consider this, by the way. None of them ride bikes. The ride would be about 3 miles on mostly 45 mph two lane road with stop signs and lights. Couple bad intersections where i've seen major T-bone accidents. I'm always very careful entering those intersections myself.

Honestly, I would feel absolutely terrible if I did get in an accident (esp. one that was my fault) and my son got injured. I'd really feel absolutely horrendous.

So, is it worth it? I don't know. Anyone with an opinion out there? I'm probably leaning towards NOT having him ride with me til he's much older, but I just don't know.

I've not broached the concept with the wife yet. I'm still shocked she's so ok with me riding. I'm an RN by training and she's a physical therapist, so we've both seen our share of terrible accident victims.

Thanks for any replies everyone.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Son as a passenger?

flintbobbi said:
...So, is it worth it? I don't know. Anyone with an opinion out there?
I think that if he's big enough to ride safely, and if he's old enough to ride legally, then you should take him on rides -- if he wants to and your wife is okay with it.

It would be a great way to share one of your pastimes with him, and to start teaching him early about the importance of safe riding.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I took my kids for rides when they were in the 8 to 10 year old range. They were all fairly tall for their age and could reach the pegs fine, and they all had proper riding gear including helmets that fit properly. My daughter used to go on poker runs with me (Gold Wing Riders Association), and we went on a week long tour when she was 10 years old. We shared some good times.

It is not just age though, it is attitude and other things too. If the boy fits on the scooter OK, and is mature enough for his age to follow your instructions, then it's within the realm of possibility. A trunk or backrest so he can't slide off is wise as you mentioned, but I always had my kids put their arms around my waist and lock their fingers. That way I could feel their arms relax if they started to doze off - my daughter was notorious for that on the Goldwing. A quick slap on her fingers would bring her back to alertness. But I also felt more comfortable being able to monitor them that way. A properly fitting helmet is important - the local dealers did carry some child sized helmets.

I think I'd do it again. Fortunately, we always arrived back home safe and happy. But you have to weigh the risk, and make a decision that the family is comfortable with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When my son was younger he went to a school that felt strongly about where younger children should ride in a car. There were teachers around to assist as the kids were loaded/unloaded onto/from buses and cars. (The cars would line-up with the buses.) If you brought a small kid in the front seat, you were encouraged to have him/her ride in the back seat in the future. If you were picking-up a child, the staff would open the back door for him/her to get into the car. I can just picture them now if I'd ridden up with my son on the back of a Burgman or other motorcycle. :shock: (Would've been sorta fun. :twisted: ). Of course, now my son's 15 and no longer goes to that school so it's a moot point. Now I have bigger problems like "Can I ride it when I turn 16 next year?" :iroc:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Along the same topic... my older son (14) rides on the back of my Burgman. He started last year on the back of my 50cc scooter.

But my bigger problem now is my younger son (11) who will be 12 next month. He's scared to death to get on any motorized 2-wheel bike! Anyone else have a similar problem? Do they grow out of this fear or is it something that just sticks with them? I know I was always interested in motorized bikes when I was a kid.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
chuck807 said:
Along the same topic... my older son (14) rides on the back of my Burgman. He started last year on the back of my 50cc scooter.

But my bigger problem now is my younger son (11) who will be 12 next month. He's scared to death to get on any motorized 2-wheel bike! Anyone else have a similar problem? Do they grow out of this fear or is it something that just sticks with them? I know I was always interested in motorized bikes when I was a kid.
All three of my kids rode with me. My daughter (the oldest) seemed to enjoy it the most. She went on one Burgman ride with me this Summer, and also rode on the back of her boyfriend's motorcycle a few times. (I think he is an ex-boyfriend now, but I'm not kept very well up to date on that stuff.) My oldest son went on to take the MST course and get his license. He has owned a couple of motorcycles, but doesn't currently have one. My youngest son has no interest at all in them. As an adult, he only likes pickup trucks. Each child is different - and yes, they can change as they mature - but it is not always in a direction that you'd anticipate.

At this stage in my life, I'd just as soon that my kids and grandkids did not ride. I know the dangers - and increasing traffic, burgeoning deer population, higher percentage of truck class vehicles on the road, and most of all those **** cell phones - it isn't getting any safer. But they know how much I enjoy riding. I don't hide it from them. They each have to make up their own minds about riding, or not riding.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How old New born

Best way to get around it the way we did is still a sidecar on that baby!
We stuck one on our wing when our oldest was born and seatbelted in the
baby sit and away we went. They are now young adults but we had tons of fun.

Enjoy :lol:

Helix

1 - 20 of 32 Posts