Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondering how often you all check the coolant levels on your Burgman. Does extended highway riding (say 3 hours) evaporate the coolant, and therefore you need to add more?

Just to be safe, should we check the coolant levels before every ride?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I check mine every couple of months...
I've had my scooter long enough to
have learned what is normal, & what
is not. I usually don't have to add
any coolant between the recommended
services.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I religiously check my coolant every seven years. :)

Seriously, I've never done anything until recently. It always ran fine and didnt seem to lose any coolant. And i live and ride in one of the hottest places around. But Quantum Mechanic got me feeling guilty about it, so I just had the coolant changed in both bikes for the first time.

So, as seems to be my case, I've once again pushed the limits of my Burgman as research for the rest of the group. You CAN go a long time without checking coolant. It is just not recommended. I think the recommendation is replacement every 2-4 years? But what would I know.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the coolant level out of paranoia, and it was fine :)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
coolant levels Never Seem To Change or Drop, Always stay the Same!! Fluids
Just Gets Old and needs to be Replaced!!

+1

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Hi guys,

Does extended highway riding (say 3 hours) evaporate the coolant, and therefore you need to add more?

Thanks.
Coolant wouldn't evaporate & only way to loose it is from a leak. I think in 46k+ miles on my 07 400 I might of checked it 3 or 4 times with no problems ever.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's a closed system. You should not have to check it -but, that wouldn't stop me.
As said, changing it every couple of years is a good idea.
There's stuff in it that keeps your seals plyable. That's why.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Every time I smell the unmistakable sickly-sweet aroma of glycol-based coolant burning, I check my 650. Of course it's never the 650, it's always some cager with a coolant leak or a blown head gasket.

After changing the 650's coolant I usually pay more attention to it, but after the system purges the air out, the level is very stable (as are all the other fluid levels in this wonderful little machine).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts