Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2001 AN400 and was told to top up the oil each week. I know the manual says every ride which seems excessive. How often and how much In ml or a measure of a Motol bottle of oil 1 litre do I put in?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The early model 400s are known for consuming oil if run at high speeds for extended periods. If you do a lot of high speed riding then it would behoove you to check the oil before each ride. If you are doing mainly city stop and go type riding then once a week would probably be OK. These bikes don't hold a lot of oil so you can run them dry fairly quickly. That can result in a ruined engine.

As for how much to put in, enough to bring it back up to the full mark. Exactly how much that will be depends on how low it is. It will be a small amount relative to the amount in a 1 liter bottle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its mainly low speed city riding in Central London certainly nothing higher than 50 mph once you get out of town but even that wont be for long as everywhere bulit up is 30 or 40 zones. thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Be sure to let the bike sit for awhile before checking the engine oil. This allows the oil to drain into the pan.

If you check the oil just after stopping the engine, you might end up overfilling.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The engine oil capacity (refill) for early 400's 2.0 US qt (1900 ml) if the oil filter was not changed, 2.1 US qt (2000 ml) with the filter changed, and 2.4 US qt (2300 ml) for the initial fill after an overhaul.

I find on my '03 that when the oil level shows about 3/16" (4.8 mm) on the dipstick, this after 400-500 miles of normal riding (which is 80% at 55 to 65 mph here as we live 12 miles from anything) it takes 5 US oz (150 ml) to top it off--meaning it still had 1850 ml (92.5% of full capacity) in it. I check the oil before nearly every ride, and when stopped for refueling on extended higher speed runs.

I carry a 5.25 oz bottle (that once held injector cleaner) of oil with me, the long thin neck makes it easy to pour in...

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Wonder if I am doing it all wrong, as I have not topped up any oil at all. I had the 600km service done then a check before my 1st trip to Calgary June 2009 through the Canadian Rockies. Oil seemed fine on the way there and the same on the way back. Never measured it, just eyeballed it.
Same with this newer version, went to Calgary July of last year and didn't do a thing as it was still just ran in. Eyeballed the oil before departure and eyeballed it on the way home. Some of the pre 2007 400s had an oil leak problem but my first one did not and the second one is a 2012 400 and so far touch wood (touching my desk) does not have a problem either that I have found. Of course can't say the same about the owner operator (me) but I can say my life is not boring at all. Never seem to have 1 year the same as the previous one. Cheers Sally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts