Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often I look at the ads on Craigslist to see what kind of bikes that people have for sale and what they want for them. Most of the time I am not really looking to buy anything just doing a bit of cruising.

But it just astounds me how many people will post absolutely horrible pictures of their machines and expect someone to be interested in them! You know what I am talking about, right? Filthy dirty bikes that don't look like they have been washed in months, out of focus shots (how does that even happen with todays cameras anyway?) the bikes parked in driveways or yards that look like something out of Sanford and Son. I mean, seriously??

When I post a bike or that matter anything for sale where I have pictures posted you can bet that it will be fresh washed, have Armor All on the vinyl and plastics and possibly even a fresh wax job. I mean, you want people that come look at your bike to at least think that you take care of it, don't you?

I dunno. Just a gripe I guess. I can tell you this much- when I see something for sale that looks like it has not be taken care of in the pictures you can pretty much assume that is the way it really has been taken care of.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lol I agree 100% with you

·
Registered
585 Posts
I dunno. Just a gripe I guess. I can tell you this much- when I see something for sale that looks like it has not be taken care of in the pictures you can pretty much assume that is the way it really has been taken care of.
It doesn't bother one whit - and in fact I appreciate it. I consider it a public service. I'm not wasting my time or their's when I see how poor the condition really is. I move on to the next ad.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't bother one whit - and in fact I appreciate it. I consider it a public service. I'm not wasting my time or their's when I see how poor the condition really is. I move on to the next ad.
You know, that's true too. Because if I do see something for sale that looks like a POS then it probably is a POS and not to even bother calling about it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sometimes it is good to cruise the bottom. You can get some screaming deals that way if you know what you are looking at. My best friend uses the poor appearance of bikes we are looking at to help lower the asking price. We like to find bikes that have a small (or several small) mechanical problems that will resolve without us spending a great deal of money on the bike. If the bike is dirty that is a plus. Appearance is the easiest way to lower the asking price of a bike. After the purchase, we address any mechanical problems and clean the bike up. We then make the decision about what the bike is really worth and resell. He uses this method to supplement his income.

I did this myself most of my life with bikes and cars to supplement my income but my back is now so bad that I can't do it anymore. Now I help him assess bikes and such. If you are running a Craigslist ad, I am the guy you hope doesn't show up. I will buy but I only buy low.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sometimes it is good to cruise the bottom. You can get some screaming deals that way if you know what you are looking at. My best friend uses the poor appearance of bikes we are looking at to help lower the asking price. We like to find bikes that have a small (or several small) mechanical problems that will resolve without us spending a great deal of money on the bike. If the bike is dirty that is a plus. Appearance is the easiest way to lower the asking price of a bike. After the purchase, we address any mechanical problems and clean the bike up. We then make the decision about what the bike is really worth and resell. He uses this method to supplement his income.

I did this myself most of my life with bikes and cars to supplement my income but my back is now so bad that I can't do it anymore. Now I help him assess bikes and such. If you are running a Craigslist ad, I am the guy you hope doesn't show up. I will buy but I only buy low.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
I've done the same for years , if I see some thing that I know is under priced I'll buy it and flip it . I made 3K profit this winter selling parts , then I blew it all on new winter gear :D . It's hard now to make money on flipping bikes , but the parts biz on the right bikes is always good .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I bought a used car once, all polished up and really looked great inside and out. It was only after I put 100miles or so on it that I found out what POS it was. It leaked oil out of both valve covers, oil pan, and head gasket. I'd rather have just enough dust on it that I know it wasn't polished and shined to hide the problems. An acquaintance bought a Hardly last spring and same happened to him. The chrome and black paint really looked nice but after a couple hundred miles, not so much. If it is shined to a mirror finish someone is hiding something.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I too am a bottom feeder - that doesn't really sound good, but it's good for a laugh!

Back to ranting- I get pi$$'d at people that us a free site (Craigsist) and don't even put a picture in the ad.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As some one who makes a living flipping bike of all shape and size ,it is critical to have a good photo .I have a white wall were I live I put the bikes up against which then only has the bike in the pic not any distracting back ground. The down side is most of the time the bike looks better than it is ,and since developing a conscience years ago, I tend to stress the point that they need to call me to get all the info before buying or bidding on it .BUT..as we all know 60% of any bike purchase is in how it looks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Whenever I sold either bike or car, I put every imperfection I know of in the ad. When I sold the E.G, a container with my dad's cremains, hanging on my golf bag, caused fine scratches on the top of a saddlebag. Made the spot look cloudy. That was in the ad. Then I set what I think is a very fair price. You can pay it, or see ya.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Things in ads that really turn me off, dirty bikes; dirt bikes that are flying through the air in the pics; the seller in the ad says, it's fast and can go 100mph all day long; it has a performance muffler on it and it's really loud; I don't have the title, but you can get one at the motor vehicle dept., it's easy to do; must have cash in hand for a test ride; but my biggest turn off is pics of the bike with all kinds of junk all around it, I figure if you live that way then that's the way you take care of your bike. I have passed on may bikes just because of the ad content, some can really screw up the ad just by the way it is written and the pics that they post.

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
Years ago, a guy I knew was selling a Sportster. A potential buyer took it for a test ride and dumped it turning a corner. Did he buy it? No! So now the guy had to sell a bike with a damage history. Enough said.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My favorite ads are the ones with an old picture of the bike from years ago.:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Iv'e seen bad pictures for cars, trucks, RVs & horse trailers for sale. It's not limited to just motorcycles.;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you think the pics on motorcycle ad's are out of date, wait til you go to a dating sight! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts