Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am not a current Burgman owner but will likely be as soon as I sell my 1979 GS850 (current bike) to get funds and room for a Burgman 400.

I have noticed Burgman's seem to be rare (Only saw 1 at the dealership, occasionally see some on craigslist or ebay) and prices appear to be all over the map.

I would be looking for a 400 model, preferably 2007 and up but if the right earlier one came up I wouldn't reject the idea of buying one.

what is an HONEST street price used for the various years of Burgman 400's - for the Cincinnati OH USA area ? (I know the Kelley Blue Books have different prices for trade in vs purchasing so dealerships can screw the customer over.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
It all depends on where you live. Since your profile tells us nothing there is no way we can tell you what a Burgman sells for there.

• Haha
Reactions: Wolfgangpcx

·
Registered
985 Posts
I am in Newport, KY, just across the river from Cincinnati, and agree that there aren't a lot of Burgmans around here. However, I find that I am welcome in both scooter and motorcycle groups with mine, although I enjoy the longer, more challenging rides with the motorcycles more often. A Burgman is a perfect bike for riding the hills and dales of SW Ohio and Northern Kentucky, and I never feel at a disadvantage to the bigger bikes.

Try Nada Guides for rough pricing ranges on motorcycles in the area. This is not a great time of year to find bikes being offered on Craigslist, but during the riding season I typically see a few AN400s being offered most of the time. I see a 2008 being listed in Campbell County right now with only 11k miles on it for $2,200 OBO. My "Ingrid" has about 10,000 miles on her and I still feel as though I'm breaking her in (except for the rear tire, which ran wore out right on schedule.) If it's in good shape, that seems like a pretty good price. If I were looking, I'd certainly check that one out.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Id hold out for an 08+ 400. Lots of upgrades and kinks worked out on the newer models. Price? Well lots of variables there. I think the sweet spot for 400s is between $2-$4k. Obviously the newer lower mileage units will command the higher prices. But tell us the deals you're contemplating, and we'll tell you if it's a good bike or not.

The 400 is very much dependent on maintenance performed. So make sure to get a run down on what's been replaced. Belt, rollers, tires, air filter and clutch being chief among them. For older bikes, coolant, brake fluid, and brakes too (front and back). If regular oil changes & filter haven't been performed, BIG red flag; it means the prior owner didn't even care to do the minimum. Consistent riding is a big plus, you don't want a garage queen.

Good luck on the search. Seriously, use BUSA as a crutch. We know these bikes in side and out, too much to be written in a post. Get ALL the details and report them back. Pictures help. This is a brethren of riders and owners, we will help you out as best we can.

• Helpful

·
May have gone but will be missed
1,682 Posts
^Ditto on what Liamjs said. Definitely hold out for an 08 or newer 400. The clutch is upgraded in the 08. In 07, the low beam headlights only uses one headlight not two. In 08, the headlights and clutch are all worked out.
Avoid the early models, while they are OK, there were many improvements in 07+, like Dual Front Disk Brakes, Dual Overhead Camshafts, etc. Check all the records and ride it for a good distance (many miles) and under different conditions to be sure it runs good. If cared for, these can last over 75,000 miles. You can spend as little as $2K for an 08 with high miles (over 30,000), or get as new as you can with as low miles as you can within your budget. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Agree, look for an 08+
As an example, I'm going to guess my 2012 with 17,000 miles on it is worth $3000 to $3500 ? Like you said, they're all over the map, I wouldn't know what to ask if I were selling.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Depends on how much you are wiling to do to get it. There's a newish 400 a little north of Tamps for $3700 in the classifieds on this website. I think that's a pretty god deal and would pick it up in a minute if I were not already committed to a longitudinal study on Burgman life expectancy. I'm 86K into it and I can't imagine starting over now.

I once bought a car off ebay, made my way to NJ and drive it back to Tampa. Tampa to Cinci is only about 13 hrs plus stops. I'd do it. Then again I'm old and senile.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dunno, I have a 2004 AN400 and it's a pretty nice bike. The 2003-2006 AN400 with low miles is also an option, and they come at a pretty steep discount- around $1500-$1700 for 15-20K miles seems about the price folks will pay in Austin. And if you keep an eye on the oil and maintenance, it will last for 50,000 miles at a minimum.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I dunno, I have a 2004 AN400 and it's a pretty nice bike. The 2003-2006 AN400 with low miles is also an option, and they come at a pretty steep discount- around $1500-$1700 for 15-20K miles seems about the price folks will pay in Austin. And if you keep an eye on the oil and maintenance, it will last for 50,000 miles at a minimum.
I agree. If more money can be spent, then by all means get an 08+. But do not rule out pre 07's. My 46,000 mile 2004 is going strong. I've put 18-19,000 miles on it in last 2 years and I'm in it very cheap. Still great bikes!

My rule would be 2 grand or more shoot for an 08. Less than 2 grand pick up a pre 07 and ride it like ya stole it:) especially if it's low miles.

You might get a hankering for a 650 down the road, if you're in the 400 cheap, then you can keep it as a second bike, or for your significant other.

·
Registered
985 Posts
This guy comes to BurgmanUSA looking for advice, and eight of us get back to him with suggestions and guidance within two days. Then he responds not at all. He does not acknowledge the help, much less thank anyone. I suspect the dude doesn't know what he wants to do and probably didn't even bother reading what anybody wrote.

·
1,682 Posts
This guy comes to BurgmanUSA looking for advice, and eight of us get back to him with suggestions and guidance within two days. Then he responds not at all. He does not acknowledge the help, much less thank anyone. I suspect the dude doesn't know what he wants to do and probably didn't even bother reading what anybody wrote.
How about giving the guy a break, he is new, that was his first post. Maybe he doesn't even know how to find his way back to this website. He might come around, or he might not. It's no skin off our nose. Still, this information is permanently posted here, so it may be of help to others who visit here. I am sure there lots of visitors and lurkers here that constantly glean information off this site.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How about giving the guy a break, he is new, that was his first post. Maybe he doesn't even know how to find his way back to this website. He might come around, or he might not. It's no skin off our nose. Still, this information is permanently posted here, so it may be of help to others who visit here. I am sure there lots of visitors and lurkers here that constantly glean information off this site.
You are right, of course. Thank you for the much-needed calibration. :angel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I've been reading and following, no worries about that.

I did not know I needed to pipe up and thank everyone for responding to a post; I never require that when I post a reply anywhere, and I haven't seen too many other forums that require it either.

Probably because I'm not out to get my ego (or anything else) stroked for trying to help someone out with something I happen to know about.

Tell you what, here is what you seem to want:

TO EVERYONE EXCEPT THIS "DOGBOY" CHARACTER:

"Thank you people for your replies! I appreciate the info. Thanks a lot, it has provided me with some ballpark figures/guidance on what to expect to pay."

TO "DOGBOY":

Please FORGIVE ME FOR MY LACK OF WORSHIP FOR YOUR TYPING UP A PARAGRAPH !!!

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS MY SELF LOATHING AND DISGUST AT MY ACTIONS FOR NOT DROPPING TO MY KNEES AND BANGING MY HEAD ON THE FLOOR IN A LOW BOW IN RESPECT AT YOUR SACRIFICE AND HARD WORK OF A REPLY!

I should have profusely thanked you, offered cash, valuables, a night with my wife, and my first born son as tribute.

By the way, not that you care, and not that I care if you care, or even if you exist at all....but I do know what I want. I went to the local dealership, took a test ride for 20 mins or so on a burgman 400 (2014) and the 400 is the one I want for my next bike. The dealership wants more than I think it is worth, so come Spring I sell the old GS, clear space out and get a Burgman 400 in its place.

• Haha

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey newbie......

You should ask an administrator to delete the above post. It's not something you want to remain here when you cool down.

• Haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey newbie......

You should ask an administrator to delete the above post. It's not something you want to remain here when you cool down.
I agree completely.

I apologize to everyone for my ill-tempered reaction.

·
1,682 Posts
Dear seanarthurmahado,
It's no sweat, there is no "required" reply. A simple thank you is enough. It is just common courtesy. If somebody does you a favor, you say thanks, but you don't have to kiss their a$$! That's all. We all help each other out here.

We are glad you like the 400. I love mine. I've had an 08 for over 3 years, its got 34,000 miles on it now, and she still runs and rides as sweet as when I first got it. I do a lot of 2 up riding, both city and freeway, and the 400 is more than capable up to 80 mph and above. The maintenance is fairly easy on these if you know how to turn a wrench. The dealers make a killing off the maintenance work, so you can save a lot of money in the long run if you can do it yourself after the warranty wears off. You can find out everything you need to know about the maintenance right here on Burgmanusa.com.

·
Registered
244 Posts
E.D. makes a good point about maintenance here. He makes it clear that if you are unwilling or unable to DIY, a new scooter is best.

Buying used means more maintenance than a new one does. I can still ride OK but in recent years I don't keep a new scooter more than 10K miles because I am no longer able to turn a wrench without breaking something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts