Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you really saving that much more money by riding your scooter then driving a car? How much money on average do you save compared to a car, like a Prius? that gets 50 mpg? You will have to calculate accessories like motorcycle jacket, gloves, helmet, a GPS (if viable), Insurance costs compared to a car, etc

Obviously the advantages are more maneuverability and ease of parking but some people would argue that you're not really saving that much money by riding a scooter. Discuss.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The 650 is a gas hog and eats up rear M/C tires in less than 4000 miles. No savings whatsoever, unless the alternative is a truck, but who would want to commute in a truck, besides millions of Americans?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
One reason I started riding was to save some money. I think there are 3 areas to look at in comparing price, purchase cost, fuel and general maintenance cost{incl. gear and insurance} and repair costs.

I paid $2000 for my 2006 Burgman last June with under 600 miles on it and well kept in a garage - practically new. A used car for $2000 would be quite old and well worn. In fact I have owned a few like that. The last one was a 1992 Toyota Paseo, which needed a few repairs to get it running properly and it lasted for about 9 months before it blew a main bearing. It cost me $1800 plus another $100 in parts so almost the same as my Burg. After that I had a 1995 Blazer which cost me even more. Purchase price is a big winner, for me at least.

My old Blazer got 17mpg{city} and my Paseo got 25{city}. My Burgman was getting 50mpg this winter but got almost 60mpg last summer. At it's worst that is twice what my Paseo got. The Burgman needs oil more often but uses less of it so that evens out and I think the same goes for tires, needs them more often but they cost less. I would say my gear costs are $100 or so a year. I try to not buy a jacket and helmet in the same year. These two items are my biggest gear purchases and I limit my budget on them to $200 or less. I have full coverage on my Burgman but it is still cheaper then the liability I had on my cages. I would say I save about $100 a year on insurance but I have better coverage.

So far I have not had to do any repairs to my Burg so I can't answer anything there. However my last ride, a 2008 Yamaha Zuma cost me about $120 a year in parts, I did all the work myself. I do know that parts will be higher for the Burg but I doubt it will be higher than it was with my cages. At the worst it will be even. Of coarse I junked the Paseo because the parts to fix it would cost more then the car was worth and the Blazer was a nightmare due to an electrical problem. I did not cry a bit when the Blazer got totalled in an accident.

All in all I would say I save $500 a year. But there is the fun factor! I enjoy riding much more than any car I owned. Note I say owned not driven - I have tested or borrowed some very fun cars most notably a Toyota MR2 turbo and a Mazda Miata turbo. Both were a total blast and I would say were on par with my Burgman in the fun level.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If I could keep tires on it maybe, but the big thing is the miles I put on it aren't "needed miles" for the most part, they're just fun miles, so it's fairly cheap fun miles and that's ok with me.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Are you really saving that much more money by riding your scooter then driving a car? How much money on average do you save compared to a car, like a Prius? that gets 50 mpg? You will have to calculate accessories like motorcycle jacket, gloves, helmet, a GPS (if viable), Insurance costs compared to a car, etc

Obviously the advantages are more maneuverability and ease of parking but some people would argue that you're not really saving that much money by riding a scooter. Discuss.

It was a good excuse to justify to my wife why I wanted to buy it in the first place...."But honey, we'll save lots of money!!" lol

I initially paid $2400 for the bike itself. A very good deal btw. Most will pay more. I also paid for many accessories...Helmet, Jacket, gloves, boots..etc. I even bought a trailer to go get the bike. At that time I wasn't able to ride it back. I had convinced myself at the time, in the long run that was a smarter investment to buy a trailer, than to rent one. The trailer which I have used a few times for other things cost me $350 and $50+ a year to keep registered. The Bike also cost me about $150 a year to keep it registered, getting it inspected and for insurance…maintenance adds even more. ..that cost varies.

In all, I'd say it's cost me about $3500-$3800 for everything to keep the bike going, and that's conservative estimate.
It's going to take me years and years, if ever to recoup that money with the savings in gas when I use the bike vs my car, which is only half the cost at the pump..

I don't think it will ever happen.

But it is a good excuse to buy one. ;-)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Are you really saving that much more money by riding your scooter then driving a car?
I'll limit my analysis to ONLY riding back and forth to work, which is 30 miles round trip.

Jeep: 5 days/week @ 30 miles/day is 150 miles. At 14 MPG (on a good day), that's 150/14, or 11g of gas. At $2.50/gallon, that's $28/week for gas PLUS $9/day to park, which adds another $45/week, for a total of $73/week.

Scooter: 5 days/week @ 30 miles/day is 150 miles. At 50 MPG, that's 150/50, or 3g of gas. At $2.75/gallon (premium), that's $8/week for gas and parking is FREE. That's a total of $8/week.

If I ride the scooter to work every day, 40 weeks out of the year, that's a scooter cost of $320. The same cost to take the Jeep those 40 weeks out of the year (6,000 miles) is $2,920. That's results in a gross savings of $2600. I can pay for a lot of scooter maintenance out of that $2600 (which isn't much, considering it's only 6000 miles) and STILL come out ahead. FWIW, full coverage on my scooter is around $240/year. Not much.

I can also get to work faster on the scooter, due to its agility and the ability to drive it "differently" than the Jeep. Sometimes this can lop 10-20 minutes of what is generally a 30 minute drive - depending on traffic. On days when it would take 60 minutes in the Jeep, I can do it in 30-40 on the scooter due to the ability to get around traffic.

So yeah, I'm saving money - and having more fun in the process. Every day I take the scooter instead of the Jeep saves me $9 in parking PLUS gas. And that's ONLY figuring in going to work. If you add in all the OTHER times I take the scooter instead of the Jeep, I'm saving even more (roughly 75% of the gas cost of the Jeep). PLUS, the more gas prices go up, the more I am saving!

If you're going to compare against the Prius, you have to go with a TCO model and figure in the cost of a Prius, which STARTS at $25,000 miles. My scooter was $6000 miles. There is simply NO WAY the Prius will ever make up that initial $19,000. Also, you OP seems to be assuming that I would even buy a Prius in the first place - and that it is either a scooter OR a car, and the reality is that almost all people who have a scooter will ALSO have a car, which changes the dynamics quite a bit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I live 25 miles outside of Roswell NM, so I'm looking at a minimum of a 50 mile roundtrip no matter what I drive. My Expedition averages around 18mpg my Burger averages around 54mpg ( this is at 55mph). Insurance and registration are cheaper for the bike and overall maintenance is about the same. So the questions is am I saving money, my answer is who cares! I bought the bike to ride, to me its a tool to get around it just also happens to be a riot to drive.

Greg

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
2006 Burgman 650 A Cost of Operation this year
$100 Insurance/year full coverage $500 deductible
$176 Maintenance
$300 Gas
~51 MPG
2500 miles driven

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Are you really saving that much more money by riding your scooter then driving a car?
If your premise is that it's either one or the other, than for sure you'd be saving by having a scooter only. If however, like most people, you're adding a scooter to your collection of vehicles, than your total cost will go up for sure.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'll avoid all the analysis and figures and just keep this to general obsevations.

It is possible to save money on a bike, but many, if not most, don't. People get it in their head they wanna ride (usually in Spring) and the money train starts pulling out of the station; a new bike, MSF course, insurance, gear, farkels, etc. there's a lot of up front investment in the money saving scheme. Then they ride for maybe a season and it gets cold. So the bike goes in storage (and yes this even happens in sunny Los Angeles). Next year, eh, maybe they ride, maybe they don't. Less riding the year after that, no riding the year after that, two years later, someone like me comes and buys the bike for a third of sticker price. Sound familiar?

But if you buy a used, economical bike and gear, hold off on the farkels, and ride it consistently, then yes, you can save money. But it's gotta be something like the 400 that is inexpensive up front, doesn't chew through tires, gets good mileage and easy enough to work on yourself.

The real savings, if you can call it that, would be when riding becomes your entertainment. As a hobby, it's remarkably cheap. I take my grandaughter to the movies, $35 for a couple of discount tickets, popcorn and soda for two hours of entertainment. But that's a tank of gas, lunch and a full day of fun riding. If you throw some of the household entertainment budget into the equation, you really can save a lot of money.

So yes, you can save money with riding, but Ya gotta do it smart.

(FYI, those Prious have a hidden cost, their battery packs wear down after 10 years, to the tune of $5k for replacement. So it becomes a real question of whether or not the car is worth it. Owners never seem to factor in that cost when they proudly tell you about their 50 mpg)

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
In a commuting situation I might be able to make a case for the bike cutting down on my overall cost because I would save money on the days I could ride it. I say might because there are still times when the bike will not work as my mode of transportation so I would still have to maintain another vehicle. So the fixed vehicle cost are higher maintaining two forms. Fixed cost are things like the cost of the vehicle, insurance, license etc. Anything that you have to pay no matter how much you use it. So I would have to be able to make up enough on the cheaper variable cost of operating the bike to offset the higher fixed cost of two vehicles.

I'm retired and don't commute. That makes it hard for me to make the numbers work to save money with a bike. There are still things that I do where the bike just does not work. I do sometimes use the bikes to run errands instead of the pickup so I save a little there. But mostly I use the bikes for entertainment. That means I run up more miles because I own the bikes. If I didn't have them I would likely spent less on transportation because I would spend less time on the road. But then I would have to find something else to do for entertainment and I would likely spend as much on that as I do on the bikes.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Being retired with no place I really have to be I did not buy it to save money, nonetheless my car gets 16 mpg (and requires 93 octane) around town, the Burgman delivers a consistent 55+.

I drove the car 5,000 miles last year, the 'scoot 11,000 so assuming average 2104 prices of $3.25/gal for 93 and $2.50 for 87, and that I did not have the scooter, I likely saved $1750 or so on gas--maintenance on the scooter was just oil changes ($28; 3 changes * $4.00/qt * 2 qts + 2 filters) and a rear tire ($60 with shipping)--so a net of $1660 or so...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I live 25 miles outside of Roswell NM, so I'm looking at a minimum of a 50 mile roundtrip no matter what I drive. My Expedition averages around 18mpg my Burger averages around 54mpg ( this is at 55mph). Insurance and registration are cheaper for the bike and overall maintenance is about the same. So the questions is am I saving money, my answer is who cares! I bought the bike to ride, to me its a tool to get around it just also happens to be a riot to drive.

Greg
I'm with you, I drive it mostly for the 'fun factor' rather than saving money though I do feel I save money every day I ride rather than drive. Though my companies health insurance is higher because I ride a 'motorcycle' and risk greater injuries in an accident.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
On a related note - in the 2 years I've had this scooter, I've put 10,000 miles on it. That's 10,000 miles that would have otherwise gone on my Jeep, which I drive less than 5000 miles/year. What do you suppose the cost of adding those miles to my Jeep would be?

10,000 / 50 mpg * 2.75/gal = $550 (scooter)
10,000 / 14 mpg * 2.50/gal = $1785 (Jeep) PLUS the depreciation due to mileage.

Now that I have to get myself to work instead of driving with wife, mileage this year will be a lot more than previously. There is a good chance of getting 10,000 + miles/year on scooter - all of which would normally go on the Jeep.

In short, having the scooter makes my expensive Jeep last a lot longer. The Jeep is already paid for, and gets less than 5000 miles/year. If you use the IRS-allowed 50 cents/mile for operating costs - the Jeep costs me $2500/year. As pointed out in previous post, I am saving a lot MORE than that by riding the scooter to work (see previous post).

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
On a related note - in the 2 years I've had this scooter, I've put 10,000 miles on it. That's 10,000 miles that would have otherwise gone on my Jeep, which I drive less than 5000 miles/year.

In short, having the scooter makes my expensive Jeep last a lot longer.
I look at it like Alaska Guy. I look at it as helping my truck last longer.

Another big plus for me is having it as a 3rd vehicle, If my truck or my wife's car goes down for repairs, no worries. If it's not the dead of winter I can take the scoot. Having it as 3rd vehicle is priceless for me.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
2006 Burgman 650 A Cost of Operation this year
$100 Insurance/year full coverage $500 deductible
$176 Maintenance
$300 Gas
~51 MPG
2500 miles driven
Insurance is $84/year full coverage not $100 as originally posted. A car roughly cost $1.50/mile my 650 cost about $0.50/mile. I ride about 12k-20k miles per year. The total cost to maintain an automobile is about $8k-10k/year My Scooter Cost me about $4k/year. When I owned an 07 Burgman 400 it cost me about $0.24/mile or $2500/year total operating cost. I don't own a car and commute by scooter only. My cost are dealer provided service, tires, insurance, gas...etc. For the savings I can buy a lot of gear or eat out, or invest the money.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The way you guys calculate fuel savings by comparing scooter gas mileage with jeeps and full size trucks, which use fuel like an Accord and a Camry combined, if both have pin holes in the fuel tank, I think I should start smoking two or three packs of cigarettes per day, just to save a lot of money by quitting again.
A comfortable (Maybe not by 90's Buick standard) sedan like the Camry or Accord should quite easily get 35 MPG on longer trips, will go 200.000 miles without major repairs and the tires should last 30.000 miles.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>One reason I started riding was to save some money<<

I guess that never entered my mind. I've been riding for 56 years and never gave saving money a thought. Oh well......

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The way you guys calculate fuel savings by comparing scooter gas mileage with jeeps and full size trucks, which use fuel like an Accord and a Camry combined, if both have pin holes in the fuel tank, I think I should start smoking two or three packs of cigarettes per day, just to save a lot of money by quitting again.
A comfortable (Maybe not by 90's Buick standard) sedan like the Camry or Accord should quite easily get 35 MPG on longer trips, will go 200.000 miles without major repairs and the tires should last 30.000 miles.
No doubt true, however you would have to be willing to own one and be seen driving it :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts