Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a modular flip up face helmet and recently on a short day ride I was stopping for restroom breaks often due to over-hydrating, anyway...

After the third stop in as many hours I decided to go into the convenience store with everything on but gloves :) with the face just flipped up, the clerk stared but didn't say anything.

My question is, Anyone else do this? Regularly? Is there a riders protocol I need to know? I just get tired of the 2 minutes it takes to gear up if I take all the gear above the belt off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I always take the helmet fully off, and of course the gloves. Walking into a convenience store wearing a helmet is not a good idea... might look like a robbery.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a modular flip up face helmet and recently on a short day ride I was stopping for restroom breaks often due to over-hydrating, anyway...

After the third stop in as many hours I decided to go into the convenience store with everything on but gloves :) with the face just flipped up, the clerk stared but didn't say anything.

My question is, Anyone else do this? Regularly? Is there a riders protocol I need to know? I just get tired of the 2 minutes it takes to gear up if I take all the gear above the belt off.

Thanks.
Not sure what you're asking.....you're concerned about the people who work in the store?

They're not my concern....I will wear whatever I want when I go in there. If I am just going in to get a soda, I will likely take off my gloves and leave them on bike. I will wear my helmet and jacket in. If they tell me to take off my helmet, I will ignore them. If push comes to shove or they start getting nasty about it, I will just leave and take my business elsewhere.

But for MY purposes, I'm usually pretty happy to get out of my helmet and gloves when I stop for a rest break, esp. on a hot day, and doubly especially if I am going to take a leak. If I am with someone else and they can watch my bike, I will often take off my jacket too.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
If you keep your helmet on expect to be treated with suspicion and probably considered rude in most places, possibly aggressive

Remember that for anybody working behind a counter, the last time they saw somebody in a crash helmet they may have been trying to help themselves to the takings and brandishing unpleasant hardware. They probably don't know if you can hear them either.

Oh - and try not to make sudden gestures :)

I do often just flip my helmet but if someone looks anxious or frightened I take it off.
If they ask politely I will take it off
Some staff are instructed to ask customers to remove helmets and face coverings

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I should have mentioned, My trunk was full too. I just hate leaving the helmet on the ground or hanging from the handle bar. The under seat helmet holder is a pain. I had the face up and I'm fairly non-threatening and tired to immediately engage them in conversation to assure them I just needed the restroom and buy a drink and snack.

This was in a town of less than 300 people but it is on a popular motorcycle route in KS, so I was surprised to get a second look at all. I'm positive they've seen more oddly attired folks come through.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was also wearing a face bandanna but dropped it to my neck before entering. Thanks for the input glad to see others have done this. I'll be less self-conscious that usually helps too by looking less suspicious.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I never pump fuel, enter a store, etc, without taking off my helmet, jacket, etc. In my view, wearing a helmet into a store is poor manners, looks odd, etc.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Around Wi it's common because of snowmobiling, so I don't see it being a problem on a bike, especially with an open face or modular.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
About the only time I wear my helmet into a store is if the printer on the pump isn't working and I need to go in just to get a receipt. I also wear a modular helmet and I will have the face shield up when I am doing this. If I'm going to be in any longer than that the helmet comes off.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm wired to the ying yang and really don't care to wrestle a helmet off to satisify someone's anxiety.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
When paying for gas, I often leave the helmet on,
a 3/4 helmet with 1/2 face shield....they can see me
coming with wallet in hand, with bare hands...
the important is that they can see your hands.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'd have no problem with an open face or modular but I'd expect some negativity for a full helmet worn into a store or station.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Eh, in So Cal, people in helmets are a common occurrence. So I flip up my modular, so at least they can see my face. I shop all the time in full gear, save gloves.

Small tip, embarrassing as it may be... When I suit up for a full days ride with my Overpants, I leave my zipper down on my regular pants for, ahem, easier access on nature breaks. Lol. :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Fortunately I have a 15 hour bladder as proven by a recently flight toronto hong kong.
Does mean I'm edging on dehydration but I can usually balance it as you perspire in a plane or bike.
I do hydrate on both.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yep, in the summer I can regulate my hydration bordering on dehydration and not have to go almost all day. But on this day I was suffering from a severe cold (and shouldn't have even been riding really) and was trying to stay over hydrated to feel better.

I didn't get the feeling that they thought I was going to rob them or cause them harm, they just thought I might be a weirdo.

Here is a picture of me in my helmet with the face up, very intimidating. (wanna buy a cd kid?)

11174442_10206786730051375_6967508009861823685_o.jpg

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I always keep my modular helmet on. Bathroom or not. I had one store ask me to take it off and told them I can't. I'm Jewish and need a head covering. Lol. Always wear my Star of David so it actually flew. Lol. It becomes such a pain to take everything off to do some errand. Only thing I ever take off are the gloves for grip reasons. Can't get them in my pockets. I also hate hate hate coming out to my bike and putting on a hot helmet. Even for cool downs I tend not too. Just get ice water or Gatorade and I'm good. Anyone looking for on bike hydration should look at the geigerrig nano. Tube fits in my helmet and drips like an iv. Love it

1 - 20 of 43 Posts