Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing a ride from Sydney to Coffs Harbor in Australia.

Distance is 340 miles or 550 kms.

I'm on a Suzuki Burgman 650, 2005 model, riding one up, with only a small amount of luggage under the seat.

I'm on the highway (the Pacific Highway) all the way - not city/urban riding.

Can anyone estimate the gas I'll need? I believe the AN 650 has a 13 liter tank capacity, and I'm bringing a 10 litre jerry can too if necessary.

I can stop for gas along the way - no problem there - but I'm trying to estimate the costs. I'm just not a long distance rider most days!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd figure 40 mpg to be on the safe side so you'll need maybe a total of a little under 9 gallons-US.

Before someone says it, I know that all of your B650's get terrific, 50+ mpg fuel mileage but mine doesn't, I get about 45+-.

Better to be safe than to be sorry. It's a long walk.

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would say closer to 8 but I would always err on the high side and assume you are getting 40 mpg and that would be closer to 9 gallons. I am only getting 42-45 mpg on my bike.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Bloody Yanks and imperial ;)

Your bike will reliably get 20 km per litre if set up correctly - you can test that by switching the dash setting to km per L...it will show you current on the trip meter you set before leaving - go to the next setting and it will show km per liter and long term on the odometer.

The only caveat is high head winds or speeds over 120 kph will knock that down to 17 or less.

You have 15 litre tank.
My 2005 always got slightly better fuel economy than my 2009 for unknown reasons

enjoy
hydrate
skip the jerry can - you aren't on The Wheelbarrow Way. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am doing a ride from Sydney to Coffs Harbor in Australia.

Distance is 340 miles or 550 kms.

I'm on a Suzuki Burgman 650, 2005 model, riding one up, with only a small amount of luggage under the seat.

I'm on the highway (the Pacific Highway) all the way - not city/urban riding.

Can anyone estimate the gas I'll need? I believe the AN 650 has a 13 liter tank capacity, and I'm bringing a 10 litre jerry can too if necessary.

I can stop for gas along the way - no problem there - but I'm trying to estimate the costs. I'm just not a long distance rider most days!
For this run I would be looking at 7 UKGalls.

Enjoy;)

·
Registered
438 Posts

Your bike will reliably get 20 km per litre if set up correctly - you can test that by switching the dash setting to km per L...it will show you current on the trip meter you set before leaving - go to the next setting and it will show km per liter and long term on the odometer.

The only caveat is high head winds or speeds over 120 kph will knock that down to 17 or less.

You have 15 litre tank.
My 2005 always got slightly better fuel economy than my 2009 for unknown reasons

enjoy
hydrate
I get 20 - 22 km per liter, fully loaded, @ 100 kph. You're looking at 25 to 28 liters for 550 km -- two full tanks.

All calculations are based on Canadian liters.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Canada

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
So this is a 340 mile trip with no gas station in between :confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think there are gas stations. He wanted to estimate how much $$ to budget for gas.

Simba
That's right. Thanks for the answers. If I'm lucky it'll be a journey requiring less than two full tanks each way. Not bad. The Pacific Highway along the coast is safer than inland Australian highways where stray wildlife wander onto the road.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is your budget that tight? What if you have a flat or the CVT goes out?

Since the website is American we get the prerogative of using American measurements!

Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

You have 15 litre tank.

enjoy
hydrate
Have you ever actually put 15 liters in the tank?

I once ran out of gas on purpose, with a 5-liter can in the trunk, and I couldn't put 10 liters in the tank after riding the 5 km or so to the gas station. The exact number escapes me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts