• Full Body Armor, Head to Toe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the choice when buying my Burgy to add an armored jacket, and I never ride without it, as well as heavy gloves and a full HJC helmet. I ended up with an Astrostar mesh jacket, fully plated and double padded down the spine. I didn't get armored pants, cuz that's a little much of a pain in the butt for a daily commuter, but the jacket seems reasonable to me, as smearing the pavement with my juices will be just as painful at 75 whether I fall off a scooter or a motorcycle. What is everyone else wearing?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wear Joe Rocket leather jacket with armour, full face helmet, leather motorcycle gloves with armour, Teknic leather street boots that come up to mid calf.

On the shopping list are riding pants with protection as well.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Currently I wear a full-face helmet and riding gloves. I wear a jacket in all but the hottest weather, but it's not an armored motorcycle jacket, just a thick Navy issue black work jacket.

I do plan to get an armored jacket, maybe two (one three-season and one summer), but haven't done so yet because I haven't seen any in my size and price-range that I liked.

I also go against conventional wisdom in that I don't wear boots. Boots would be the safe way to go, but I've never liked them. I was required to wear boots in the Air Force (highly polished, ladder-laced with white laces, and bloused trousers :wink: ), but no one is telling me I have to anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I have to suit up completely 5 days a week to get on and off base (except they don't require armor). On weekends I wear a full face, gloves, jeans, and use SPF 30 "body armor" for the exposed parts. :wink: Sometimes, just sometimes, I'll put the helmet in the trunk for a few miles.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I wear it all because if you go down with your bike you are more likely to get road rash on your lower extremities than your upper.
Last weekend I took a friends cruiser out for a spin he offered me his skull cap and jean jacket. I just walked over to my car and got all my gear out and put it on. I was waiting for the negative comments when I got back but was very surprized to learn that he dressed in the cruiser cool fashion to please his significant other. He's now looking for a full face helmet and armoured jacket. Later, we looked at Burgmans on the net, it might take a while but....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I never ever ride without helmet and gloves. To me that would just feel wrong, like stepping out of the house naked, or driving my car without the seat belt buckled.

I have three sets of gloves to cover all temperature ranges. Electrically heated Winter gloves, deerskin gloves for moderate temps, and perforated leather gloves for hot weather.

I always wear a full face helmet lately. Usually it is one of my two Shoei helmets. The Z-II ventilates better (at the sacrifice of a tad more wind noise) so it is my hot weather helmet. The older RF-800 is my pick for cooler weather. I only wore my 3/4 helmet once last year, and didn't like it any more, and my HJC full face is just too noisy.

Boots are also on my "always wear" list. I have a set of Corbins, very comfortable, and quick to get in & out of due to the side zipper.

Jackets vary. In the hot weather I wear a perforated leather jacket which is not armored. In moderate to cold temps I wear an HJC fabric riding jacket which does have body armor. Once in a while, I wear my older leather jacket which is not armored.

I wear regular blue jeans for riding. That is where I fall short in protection, and I know it. One of these days they'll be picking gravel out of my butt I guess.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Helmet always, gloves (most of the time) and a couple of jackets I switch around depending on temp.
However the warm temp. jackets have the armor removed, but still carries double fabric at all the right places.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Randy said:
Helmet always, gloves (most of the time) and a couple of jackets I switch around depending on temp.
However the warm temp. jackets have the armor removed, but still carries double fabric at all the right places.
Same here, but periodically I remove gloves and wrist watch and wear tanktop to improve the tan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot about shoes. I have to say, since I'm often on my way to or from work, I just wear whatever goes with the clothes I'm wearing under stuff for work. Slacks and dress shoes probably aren't going to help me much if I lay it down, I suppose, but fully suiting and changing two or three times a day just seems like too much.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Winter Riding - chaps, boots, leather (think quilted insided) jacket, gloves, neck gator and full face helmet.

Summer Riding- Joe Rocket Phoenix III jacket w/ liner or w/o- depends on it rain is expected. The liner is brought along just incase. Boots, gloves, jeans. Half helmet if it's above 90 degrees and Full face during the love bug season.

Armor overpants are on the wish list with new riding boot as well. Draggin jeans on there too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Unfortunately, I could never find a pair of protective pants that would fit me, so I wear jeans. I always wear armored jacket or my heavy HD jacket in winter (which is an absolute Godsend and worth every stinking penny) gloves, boots and a full faced helmet winter or summer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I subscribe to the idea that while I might suffer from road burn and severe abrasion as a result of no protective clothing, but go without a helmet and death could be the result.

So I don't really do too much fo the "body armor" stuff, but the only time I am on my bike without my "Snell" approved open faced helmet is when I push it out of the garage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi everybody!!!

HJC 3/4 helmet with clear face shield and (depending on what time of day) either dark racquetball shades, amber or clear. Also wear a Yamaha star perforated jacket for the warm weather (don't have a cold weather jacket yet). The jacket is fully armored and is very comfortable. I also wear Jelled all weather gloves, ankle high combat style boots and either jeans or warm up pants.

_Willly

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehehhe, if you lined us all up, we're probably a rough looking crowd.. :headbang:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is my two cents worth. I like the full face helmet. Mine is the hinged variety though. I have an armored, ventilated jacket for the summer which I brought last fall and an armored winter coat which I just brought. Both at 1/2 price. I always were jeans. I always wear gloves, and I either wear boots or high top leather tennis shoes. I am an advocate of ankle support. I broke my ankle on 10 speed that slid down in the dirt. I don't ride to be free, I ride because I enjoy it. If my bike ever put me down, my goal in life is get back up. I can always replace my bike, but I can't replace me. Finally, I have no plans for a motorcycle accident being the last thing I do in life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Full body armour!!!

Up untill 10 days ago when I low sided Burgy I always wore my bright yellow Shoei RF900 a JR Phoenix jacket and gloves. 90% of the time when not driving to work I wore shorts and running shoes. After the low side I immediately bought a pair of JR phoenix pants and some BMW riding boots that I love. The JR pants go on and off very quickly even over boots because they have zippers on the sides. The boots have a zipper also. No place getter hotter than Phoenix but I won't ride without full armor anymore.
I was lucky in that I did not suffer even a scratch in the accident. I am not stupid however. I learn from my mistakes even though I may not learn from yours. My new motto is "Wear your gear or don't ride, period!"

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hey Jas, another Phoenician here.

I wear Joe Rocket jacket and pants 100% of the time, with light "windbreaker" pants underneath but over my dress pants during the winter. I wear a heavier jacket in the winter with body armor in a few places in the jacket. Leather gloves and HJC CL14 full size helmet year round.

My only fault is in the shoes - wear my rockports for work and love them. I've looked at the size zipper boots, but have not had the chance to buy any....yet.

Flint

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You two are so lucky. I lived in Phoenix for 12+ years, and I miss the place. Especially since I have a machine now that is ideal for a place that is almost never wet, and is sunny 330+ days a year. Here's a flash from the past for you. I worked at Beeloe's Cafe and underground bar at the corner of 4th and Mill in Tempe for almost 3 years. Anyone remember the place? I've heard it's out of business now, but it was the first jazz club on Mill Ave. Never found anyplace quite like it. Also used to work at Olives Italian Restaurant in Fountain Hills. Do youselves a favor, and try it if you've never been there. The owner imports all the ingrediants from wherever he can get the best stuff. Beef is imported vacuum sealed from the Chicago meat packing companies, the chicken comes from indiana, the tomatoes are imported from Italy, and he used to work for an Italian wine distributor before he went into business for himself, and his wine list is exemplary. Have fun cruising the city this summer. I'll be thinking about it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I WEAR A FULL FACED HELMET, TEXTILE JACKET WITH ARMOUR,ANKLE HIGH BOOTS AND GLOVES.LAST YEAR I WENT OFF MY 400 WHILE MAKING A TURN TOO FAST ON GRAPPLE. I WAS WEARING THE GEAR MENTIONED EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A HOT DAY IN APRIL. THE BIKE SUSTAINED OVER 2500 DOLLARS IN DAMAGE. THE JACKET ENDED UP WITH SOME HOLES IN IT AND THE HELMET AND FACE SHIELD WERE SCRATCHED BADLY. EVEN THOUGH I ROLLED ABOUT 15 FEET, THE ONLY BODILY INJURIES I RECIEVED WERE CUTS TO MY KNEES( I WAS WEARING DUNGAREES) and cuts on my wrists from wearing gloves that didnt cover my wrists completely. i restored the bike and wear all my gear . I HAVE ADDED A PERFORATED JACKET AND LONGER GLOVES TO MY GEAR.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts