Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a 2009 650 Executive with 13,000 miles on it. The running temperature shows 3 bars, is this normal? Reason I ask is because I don't think the coolant has ever been changed, planning on doing that soon.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
1st, welcome.

there are 5 bars (I think), mine have never gone over 3 bars.

11 years and 47K later, the same, I changed my coolant Once.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
As Jim says, 3 bars is normal.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, three bars and definitely time to change the coolant.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine is three bars too, but I was wondering when it comes to changing the coolant is it alright to use bottled water instead of distilled to flush it? There has been a run on distilled water in Hawaii and I can't find it anywhere! HELP : )

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Two 650s , 85000 km - never seen it move past 3 bars.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mochi, it's fine to flush with fresh water of any kind from a tap or bottled water. But, make sure you refill with either; pre-mixed engine coolant designed for your bike; or a 50/50 mix of the proper anti-freeze and distilled water. Suzuki used two types of engine coolant. A two year life (green colour); and a four year life (blue colour). It should be changed roughly near the time period it's required. The engine coolant not only prevents freezing, but it lubricates your water pump seals and lengthens the pump life. It also prevents corrosion and raises the boiling point of the engine coolant so in heavy traffic you don't overheat and mess up the engine. As coolant ages, it loses many of the above benefits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Drinking water has minerals and stuff added to it to make the water taste better.

Minerals and stuff you do not want inside your engine.

Your bike is expensive. Distilled water is not. And if you cannot obtain enough distilled water, then I would wait to change the coolant until you can.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I agree with Quantum Mechanic. Flush with tab water then refill with 50/50 premix. The minerals in tab water will not hurt your engine unless you leave it in there for a long time. The amount of time it will be in there to do a flush is immaterial.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I rode my 650K4 for a year and 10,000 miles until the gauge went above 3 bars. Let me tell you what one's rectum does when you see the gauge go to 5 bars and the overtemp idiot light illuminate. OK maybe I won't.

After the engine was already up to temp, it took 15 or 20 more minutes stuck in a despicable Seattle traffic jam moving less than 10mph for the problem to occur. Evidently, the radiator fan has never worked since I owned the machine. I was surprised it took so long to overheat, given how hot the 650 runs, and that it only carries about 1.3 liter of coolant, including the overflow tank.

Many people seem to have had problems with the OEM fan, and I was very unimpressed with Denso's design (usually they do a really good job, not this time). So I installed an aftermarket fan. If you're interested, read here:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/87458-aftermarket-radiator-cooling-fan.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts