Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new helmet. I know it's going to be white and I know it's not going to be cheap. I would like to get a modular helmet since I live here in Florida and I like the idea of opening it up when at lights and such to cool down some. I also have another reason for wanting to wear a modular as I will sometimes use my bike as a delivery vehicle (http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/ ... t-two.html).

My question is how many of you wear modular's. I've heard that they actually make road noise worse. That the snaps don't always work correctly, etc. I would rather here it from riders I trust than reviews in some magazine some where.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I've worn a couple modulars, and borrowed my daughter's full-face helmet. webBikeWorld makes the same comment you've mentioned about the noise, and I've found the same with my daughter's full-face when I've borrowed it. Her full-face is definitely quieter. Enough so that I've thought about buying one of those next. Ear plugs help tremendously though.

If you go for the modulars, be sure to check out the mechanism that locks the jaw piece in place.

Chris

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I wear hjc bt-max I can't say noisier or quieter, as I have only worn this helmet, I've tried full face in the store though

You do need to check that the face is locked for sure

But all that aside I wear it because I wear glasses and this helmet is more comfortable and it's easier to get on and off

I looked at the shoei neotec and muli-tec. But too expensive for me

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use a Scorpion Transformer, comfortable but LOUD and heavy, noise isn't too bad though with our windscreens just keep the top vent closed.

My dad has a Schuberth C3 which is way lighter, quieter and more comfortable but I am not sure if it is worth the price, mine was just under 300 and his was close to 700.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would echo every one of Gbjbany's comments. I wear earplugs running outside the city and can still hear the speakers okay from my ScalaRider. At city speeds, I don't find the sound level obtrusive. Also, I am riding behind a GIVI windshield.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I have a Scorpion Exo 900 modular and I find it to be fine. Cannot compare on noise since only full face/modualr I have owned. Not any noisier than my Scorpion EXO 200. It is heavy and if worn for long periods can be a little uncomfortable, but great for keeping warm in lower temperatures.
FWIW

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have worn a modular since the late 90s. I wear them because I wear glasses and that makes a full face helmet a real challenge. I wore an open face helmet until I talked to a lady who was recovering from an accident. She slid down the highway on her face and it destroyed her full face helmet but saved her face. They are louder but that is not a problem behind a windshield or fairing. I generally ride with the face shield open since I am behind a shield.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
LaZer has the lightest modular Helmet and is very quiet although pricey. Their liner is not very plush but comfortable. I think RevZilla.com is their only North American Distributor.
I wear a Zox Genesis and very happy with it. It isn't the quietest but better than most modulars I've tried and about in the middle of the weight range. It has metal latches, flip down sun visor, and plush liner and is comfortable on all day rides and reasonably priced at $180 list. They have a new Ebeko Economy Modular that replaced their Nevado model that looks nice too for $120 list. Check them out here: http://www.zoxhelmets.com/modular_en.html
Then find one on sale somewhere :wink:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a Shoei Multi tec that I like a lot....

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wear a $150 Modular I got on sale and I love it. There is a little bit of noise in it, but I don't notice it being even a thought unless I am 70-90 MPH. I don't wear ear plugs because I never thought the noise was bad enough to warrant that. It is reasonably cool in the dead heat of summer as long as I am moving. At red lights I do open the shield so I can talk to people, but I don't think that helps too cool off much. The bike moving is the only thing that seems to do that. I am talking about riding in heat in excess of 100 though, and some don't ride that hot.

Alot of it comes down to individual preference and if you buy into the thought that the non-modular buy you much more protection or not. In theory if you were shooting for max safety you would have a huge 3000LB steel cage wrapped around your entire body if you were looking for safety over functionality and form, but we call those cars.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I wear either a Scorpion EXO700 full-face for long distance rides where I won't be needing to talk to other riders often, or an AVG modular for shorter rides with a group. The modular is definitely louder than the full-face, and heavier, as well, neither of which is a problem as I never ride without ear plugs. The interior of the AVG isn't nearly as plush as the Scorpion, but not bad at all. The weight of the modular has never been a problem for me and I only notice the difference until I put the helmet on.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I wear a Shark Evoline series 2 modular. It is very quiet.
A bit on the heavy side but versatility is why i got it. You can have
full face, half with shield, or open, no shield. Go to revzilla.com
and watch the video. To me, it is the perfect Florida helmet.
Also has a built in pull down sun shade. Good luck.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have been wearing modular helmets for many years now and because i wear glasses all the time that's about the only reason i still do. Even though i must remove my glasses to put on or take off the Shoei I currently wear.

I have owned HJC, Schuberth ( twice), Nolan & Shoei.
The best so far has been my Shoei multi tech .

All the brands fit different types of head shapes, they are all a bit heavier than a full faced model by the same maker, and consequently are noisier than a full faced by virtue of the flip front disturbing the air flow at the joint or pivot point.
As far as I can tell the noise difference between one brand of modular and another is not much, although my Multi Tech seems to be the quietest. But that could be because it fits my head shape better.
The thing that helps with the noise level the most IMHO is the small chin guard under the lower front edge of the flip front.

On my Burgman i can ride without ear plugs wearing the multi tech at in town speeds, but on the highway I put the ear plugs in. It also helps to put the windscreen all the way up , but then i am looking through it not over the top.

The better ( read, more expensive) brands have a metal locking setup at the closure point, this is supposedly better according to what I read but I have not tested it and hope I never have the need to. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have The Hawk Modular. I think I spent $125 on it. It is a bit heavy but I really don't notice it until I take it off. I only wear glasses to see the GPS which is not that often, but with this helmet, I can wear them. I can control the noise by tilting my head. I found that if I tilt my head back just a little, I can minimize the sound. Tilting down and the sound gets too loud. I like the retractable sun shield, I always keep the clear shield down because I don't like the wind in my eyes. I like it.

Richard L.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've worn modulars for most of my riding career, even after switching from glasses (which made a modular helmet almost required) to contacts. I like the ability to raise the front for conversations, when I stop for gas, etc. Since i wear earplugs 100% of the time, noise isn't an issue for me.

I have found that Nolan has the best balance of price to performance of helmets I can afford. I have an N90, along with an N43 for summer use. Since they are older models, prices (in the 200-250 range) should be OK if you can find one; you can't go wrong with either.

Happy riding! -- Mark

·
Registered
368 Posts
All of my helmets for the past 20 yrs plus have been white. Cooler in Summer and more visible than most other colors.

Full face helmets are quieter than modulars, at least the Shoei FF's that I've owned. But my current modular, Shoei Multi tec is very quiet too and I love it.

My first modular was an HJC Sym something or other. It fell off my motorcycle's seat once and the plastic latches broke apart - very disappointing. I had thought that they were metal as is recommended. So no more HJC's for me.

I had a Nolan modular and it was very good also but the visor would not stay up when I went faster than city streets speeds. And it was quite noisy too. So last year I replaced it with a Nolan N43 Trilogy. While it's a good helmet, I don't like the Trilogy helmet. I would have preferred another real modular like the Nolan 104.

My next helmet will be a Shoei Neo tec or the Nolan 104. In the meantime I am only wearing the Multi tec while the Nolan Trilogy sits on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I've gone through a number of modular helmets. The last two have been Nolans. My current helmet is a Nolan S90 and I like it a lot. As other have commented, modulars are a little nosier than a regular FF helmet. The noise comes from the wind going past the joints where the chin bar and the helmet come together. In my experience it's not air leaking through the joint, just noise from the air moving over the joint.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Open face 3/4 Mag8 in North America and modular something in Australia ( they have their own standards and industry - clever bunch ).
Mag9 looks even sweeter.

The Mag 8 is the quieter of the two and as a number of reviewers discovered one of the quietest helmets tested. Far quieter than my Shoei mid-price lid which I never use.

I tend to ride with the lid up on the convertible - nice sunshade and cooler.
I flip it down at speed and in rain.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts