Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I though I had been around every road in my area in at least a 20km range,,,but I went down two roads that I never been down before just for a look and it was one of my best rides, both my self and my wife(she rides a tmax500)had a great ride. It got me thinking of a friend I had who decided to ride down every road in a 10ks radius of his home. He lived in a large rural town so after he did 10ks he moved it out to 20ks,thats when I asked him why are you doing this and he said. Some roads are short and boring ,,but some lead you to wonderful places. He had it out to 100km when he passed ,today I took a leaf out of his book :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice one. I have done the same and recently started using my helmet cam to capture them. This Winter, when the ice and snow have me home bound, I will relive the rides, should help be survive the chill.

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I spent between 20 and 30 years handling insurance claims in the far western end of Virginia I was on most of the roads in the 150 miles from the end of the state. This end of the state narrows down to a point at Cumberland Gap and borders NC, KY, TN and WV. I lead our weekly ride throughout the area without a map, including adjoining NC where I was born and TN where my daughter lives. We ride some of the best remote roads through the mountains one will ever see. The most frequent thing I hear from my fellow riders when we stop is "I have no idea where we are".

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I don't think there is a US, Texas State or FM road within a 140 mile radius that I have not been down at least once in the last 7 years. In that same radius there are thousands of county and city roads that I have not been down. But then many of the county roads are dirt or gravel roads that are not the best for riding on a scooter and I try to stay out of towns or cities when I ride.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Explanation...FM road.....in Texas, the 'lowest-level'
of paved road maintained by the State.
FM stands for Farm to Market......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh my God yes. It's usually a, "Hmmm, wonder where this road goes?" moment. I'll do that on trips I take too, you know, the 2000 mile type of trips. Sometimes the road ends up being gravel, or a dead end, or the best road I've ever been on, but I'll never know if I don't take it. I ride by myself and don't own a GPS. It's just so dang exciting when you get off the normal path and just let the bike guide you.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I love doing this. Have since I first got my driver's license. Got my motorcycle endorsement and Burgie when gas got just too expensive to indulge myself. Ride on!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Despite 40 years riding in the same are I'm always finding new stuff in even in a 20 km radius.

One of the coolest new things for this kind of venturing is TomTom's app for iphone and it's Winding Roads feature.

Put in a destination and hit Winding Roads maximum in Options and have fun.

It's in Options and can invoked or turned off at any point in a route - the wider apart the better so it has more routes to consider and there are three levels.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not gotten into putting gadgets on my bike YET,,,as I used to change my bikes quite often ,,BUT now since I have gotten the burgman I find my self looking at fitting at least a holder for my phone only for the navman app as I never answer my phone when on a ride, I did enjoy the cd player on a gold wing I had for 6 weeks though. I am more into the me and my bike only ride no distractions, though I wish I could leave my head at home as that never shuts up ..lol,but I do get my best ideas when out riding

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
We have moved 3 times in 5 years (business related) and the first thing I do is try to get lost checking out all the roads in the new area. Then hit the GPS for a route back home. I have found this the best way to get to know the area. My wife is always asking me - How did you find this place? :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yep - my annoyance is I'm too lazy to turn on the bread crumbs so I know where I've been. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am so easily lost any more I started carrying a GPS to help me get home:D
You're not lost if you don't care where you are. Also, if you keep going, you will eventually cross a main road where you can make your way home.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a RAM holder for my Garmin GPS. I usually just leave it on the map for an accurate speed and so I can see roads that are coming up that look like they may be long and interesting! I love having my Garmin with me. If I get really lost, I just hit "go home" and all is well! At my age, I can get lost very easy...and I don't even mind the lady's voice telling me where to go! LOL After two marriages, I'm kind of used to it! ;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You're not lost if you don't care where you are. Also, if you keep going, you will eventually cross a main road where you can make your way home.
waaaallll that ain't necessarily so given the rather short range of the fuel tank. If you don't top up in the boonies you may be a long time getting home.
GPS is a real useful tool out in the never never to find that main road.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
waaaallll that ain't necessarily so given the rather short range of the fuel tank. If you don't top up in the boonies you may be a long time getting home.
GPS is a real useful tool out in the never never to find that main road.
I have a GPS but using it would take the adventure out of riding though the boonies. There are boonies and there are boonies. I live near the county seat in a county that has around 32,000 residents. The county seat has 6,000 residents.

My fuel tank will last longer than my bladder. Whenever I stop to pee, I refuel. I've never ridden where I went through a tank of gas without passing several gas stations.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I can go and have 15-16 hours without a pee break so not an issue for me, but I do take fuel breaks in the boonies whenever presented.

Rider in PA boonies did not follow my advice to top up at every chance and drifted into an open station near dusk on fumes. He was really plotting in his head how to stay warm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts