Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in how many miles a Burgman 400 rider can expect before engine overhaul. I know of one that has over 12,000 - in 5 months. I have just over 2000.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
TimNC said:
I'm interested in how many miles a Burgman 400 rider can expect before engine overhaul. I know of one that has over 12,000 - in 5 months. I have just over 2000.
Realistically, if you follow the maintenance schedule (especially oil changes), you will end up selling or trading the machine long before the engine needs an overhaul. Modern bike engines are really good. I'd guess with proper care the engine would go about 100,000 miles before needing any major work.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thats a really good question,

Firstly, I think you'll have to do the transmision before anything else (belts, clutch and variator parts) well before the engine needs any work. Apparently these is a 400 in the UK that has over 70,0000 miles (over 100,000 kms) and has only transmission re-builds. If you have ever looked at the design of this engine, you'll notice that is has many roller bearings and needle bearings in the crank, piston and transmission. Historically, when Suzuki built their first or second generation four stroke engines they were all constructed similiarily. The "GS" series that were build in the late 70's and middle 80's were very reliable and it was because of the their use of roller bearings in the bottom end and throughout the engine.

I would venture to guess that they also use special treated cylinder bores but don't advertise this (such as BMW with their Nicksil and other with advanced cylinder bore materials) that would be very durable. So how long should the engine last. It will never suffer a failure if you keep good oil in it but again it may not suffer too much damage if you extended your oil changes. Roller bearing engines (low pressure) should be able to tolerate more abuse as opposed to plain bearing. These latter type engines require the oil be clean and have high shear strength. I can't wait when all of us will be racking up the mileage and discovering how really reliable and durable this 400 engine really is.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Well like they say "time flies when your having fun" today is 5 months to the day and I just turned over
11,540 miles. So far I have done
3 oil changes / 2 oil filters
cleaned the air filter 6 times / trans. fan filter 2 times
new set of tires
change rear end oil 1 time
1 spark plug
I think that about covers it, and the 400 is running like a top so far. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Randy said:
Well like they say "time flies when your having fun" today is 5 months to the day and I just turned over
11,540 miles. [snipped] I think that about covers it, and the 400 is running like a top so far. :D
Randy - You should seek Suzuki sponsorship - you are endurance testing for them! :D

How have the valve clearances been each time you have been in there?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
NormanB wrote
How have the valve clearances been each time you have been in there?
Checked it at 600 miles - spot on, have not looked again. :!:
I was thinking about looking at it again this week -maybe - :)

To me checking the valves is like testing your battery to see if it's good, you can do it if you want .
But you will know when it's not working right anyway.
The valves have a sound all there own and you hear it long before there is a problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey NormanB,

I just checked my valves at 6,800 kms and they were spot on. None of them needed adjustment and thats with lots of city commuting and the odd hyway ride.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Tim

Good news! :)

Lets have the low down on gaskets and seals and sealant for the valve cover please.

Did you do pics?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts