Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many keys do you have on your Burgman keyring?

I have run across a few scooter riders recently (none Burgmans) that have had issues with their ignition switch supposedly related to the weight of a full keyring and vibration. I can see where that could possibly pose a problem mechanically with the switch.

Has anyone here had issues with a heavy keyring causing ignition switch problems with their Burgman?

On my past and present motorcycles I have never had extra keys on a ring due to scratching of the paint on the tank but on scooters there is no tank to scratch. Of course keys can mar up the dash a bit but it's not like their scratching off the paint job. Since I heard about this I have noticed that scooter riders generally have more keys on their scooter keyring than motorcycle riders do on their keyrings with the exception of my Gold wing rider friend that has every key he owns on one ring. I usually don't separate Scooter and Motorcycle riders but for this observation it seems fitting.

For those of you that own and ride scooters and motorcycles do your have separate keyrings for each?

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
All I have on my key ring is my bike key and my top case key.

·
Registered
435 Posts
On my scooter keyring is a key for the cable lock that I sometimes carry. On my car keyring is my primary car key, a key for my mother's car (which we sometime use), my house key and a house key for my son's house. I also have a keyring for work that has the door key, locker key, and two different keys for the vehicles I drive.

I don't understand the guys and some "girls" who have a keyring with 10, 20, or more keys and they fumble and fumble trying to find the right one.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The number of keys a persons carries on the key ring indicates the feeling of responsibility that person has. The more the keys the more the burden. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm with Buffalo on this. If I may quote him.
"All I have on my key ring is my bike key and my top case key."

·
Registered
135 Posts
All I have on my Burgman key ring is the ignition key and a Blood Bank key fob. I intend to use only one of those, but I donate to the other hoping I'll never need it myself. :blackeye:

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
My Burgman key is not on a ring. It stays in the ignition - even when I go to work!

Only when on weekend trips or store runs will I take it out. Then it goes into my back pocket. But once the Burgman is back in the garage, the key stays in.

I always keep my spare on a bead chain around my neck when on long trips.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The ignition key and a trunk key and a plastic strip from the dealer in Bristol, VA.

How do you keep a big key in your back pocket? Don't you set down at work?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
As I stated, I leave it in the ignition when I go to work. :)

When it is in my back pocket, I don't find it annoying. On the contrary, I find it reassuring that it is there.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Quality-Pull-Apart-Key-Chain-w-2-Separate-Rings-/280718168623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415c1b522f. The rest of my keys stay on my belt loop. So easy to find the key as it hangs on the split-apart key ring by itself and hangs down the farther than the rest. A push of the button and it separates. I do hear a tiny jingling sound when I am riding. It's the key ring, as I recently discovered. I keep another key hidden on the Burg. The original keys are safe at home as I never use the ignition lock. I don't trust it.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Ignition key & soft plastic key fob....

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Buffalo said:
All I have on my key ring is my bike key and my top case key.
+1.............too.....!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
My key ring has the bike, trunk, and a house key. Each vehicle ring has a house key on it so that's all I need to take with me.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
only the ones you want your girlfriend to ask about ; one is about right , the burgman key, less is better

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
This is a common problem with many vehicles, dependent on the level of isolation between the lock and switch mechanisms. My wife went through two ignition switches in her '96 RAV 4 before I convinced her to lessen the burden. The only key on my Burgman "key ring" (actually just a braided elastic band) is the ignition key. On my Mustang I have only the ignition key and remote...

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
One time I got to work and had go back home because I had left the key on my desk at home, thereby opening the store late and causing fellow employees to be late for work. Another time I had to run home for the key at lunch because I was the closer. If that first instance happens again I will be fired. I think that in any economy, and especially this one it will be easier to replace the ignition switch than to find another job especially after being fired "for cause." Now all keys on one ring. If I forget it I can't get farther than the garage. I have a separate key ring for the car.

Please don't tell me I should just remember. YOU, maybe, should just remember. That doesn't work for me anymore. In any event, I've been riding with that key ring for 3+ years and no problems yet. Except for almost getting fired when I didn't.

So... Burgman key, work key, house key, security lock key, garage door fob.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
rif said:
Each vehicle ring has a house key on it so that's all I need to take with me.
+1 :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Separate key ring for each vehicle, each has a house key.

On my Burgie ring I have ignition key, top-box key, disc lock key, cable lock key, and house key.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also hate carrying more keys than necessary and am not comfortable having a bunch of keys dangling from the ignition while riding. I have three sets of keys, all with a house key on them; one for the bike, one for the car and one with just a house key.

On my bike key set I have the Burgy key on a separate spring loaded small “carabiner” style attachment. This allows me to easily remove the Burgy key to open the seat and I then have my topbox key on the key ring in my hand. I only ever ride with the Burgy key in the ignition and the other keys in my pocket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts