Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was a newbie when I bought an Allstate scooter in 1963.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought my first motorbike of any kind just 2 months ago-a Burgman 650. It's been in the shop for the last month and I can't wait to get back on it!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I bought my first bike, an 08 Burgman 400 at the age of 54....I've now made it to 55...;-)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had a small electric scooter for about 5 months and got the burgman 400. Instead of the classic first car at 16, I got the motorcycle. I prefer it this way. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
congratulations to you all welcome to the motorcycling bug
The symptoms are
1. uncontrollable urges to ride 100ks plus to get a coffee and paper
2 realizing that your bike is lonely by it self and needs a another bike or five to keep it company (this coincides also with building a larger shed for them to live in )
3 . you wardrobe now consists of motorcycle t shirts (mainly black ) jeans and bike jackets .Which are totally acceptable as church attire
4. Family (if you still have some )are a constant source of reminding you why you ride(refer to rule one )
5. Uncontrollable urges to giggly to one's self when riding

These as just some of the symptoms that you will experience in you bike riding journey :p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Very good bikersmurff! Let's not forget...

1. Daydreaming at work about your next ride, which may only be to home that evening.
2. Hoarding Small stockpiles of extra gear, gps units, parts, tires, MC oil, filters and such.. Just because they were on sale.
3. Waiting anxiously for Amazon to deliver said stockpiles... Even though you don't need them right then.
4. Strange suntan lines that appear on your face and wrists (where the gloves don't quite meet the jacket sleeve).
5. Facial lines imbedding themselves from the constant burgman grin.
6. About 10 lbs of weight gain from the bad food you're eating at all the local MC hangouts.
7. Volunteering to run ANY errand to pick up ANYTHING, just because it'll fit in the trunk..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had all this stuff at the age of 16 when I first started riding motorcycles. I'm 60 now and still feel and do the same. Love motorcycles and scoots of all kinds. Can't stop smiling.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got my first ever scoot at 60.. a Piaggio MP3 500 (that was 5 years ag0).. I traded 3 years ago for my Burgie 650.. and love it.. I now have about 14,000+ miles between the two.. and love my 650.. more every time I ride it..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't quite fit your criteria, but I had been away from motorcycle ownership for about 30 yrs. Back then (pre-kids) I was die-hard Harley. I never expected to buy anything other than a Harley.

Then I started going to Greece every summer and rented an Aprilia Atlantic which is very similar in size to our Burgmans. Every summer I scheduled a couple days for myself just to go riding. I became hooked on scooters and bought a 2008 Burgman 400 a couple of months ago. Since then, I've done everything on bikersmurff's and Liamjs's lists ('cept I'm retired so I don't daydream at work! And gaining weight -- hard to eat while riding and I've lost 25 lbs. these last two months.)

In two months, 3,000 miles of bliss!

John

·
Registered
80 Posts
I mostly fit that criteria. Started riding in March of 213 on a Chinese 250 scooter. Dreamed of getting a "real" bike at some point. Graduated to my Burgman 650 in September of 2013. No more dreaming. Unfortunately it's in the shop at the moment. I cannot wait until I can get back on him and ride to work properly instead of using the bus or a cage.

ShuadChaun

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I bought my first bike, an 08 Burgman 400 at the age of 54....I've now made it to 55...;-)
Ignoring the two months I rode a Honda Elite 80, I bought a brand new Burgman 400 in Aug. '05 - at age 53.

At 62, I'm on my second 400 and my second 650. (And my wife, who inherited the Elite, is on her third Vespa [don't ask :rolleyes:]).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a newbie to just about anything on two wheel
first and only bike I have ever owned or rode
Aug 12 - to today only 6500 miles but getting better all the time
how did the 4 wheelers get so stupid...?

I got one as soon as my 67yrs could get me there ..Noregrates

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Burgman is my 1st bike, acquired at the young age of 62, 3 years ago, I love it! Now, if the attrition rate of my joints will slow down so I can get more riding time!:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Purchased and rode (still do from time to time) a Yamaha Vino 49cc a year ago May (over 4000 mile the first year) and then bought my Burgman 400 in May this year (coming up on 2000 miles rode this year). May is looking like a really good month.:D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ssylvester, so will you be riding a 650 next May? :p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've never had kids, so I was always the "Crazy Uncle" with the motorcycles to my 22 nieces & nephews. Gave a good portion of them rides at one time or another.

I always say I think I did it right... Went straight to being a grandparent with my wife's grandkids. So now I'm "Crazy Nono" with the scooters. You should see the look on their friends faces when I show up to give them rides home from school.

In any case I'm a proud rider most of my life. Except for a couple college years when I couldn't afford a car and a bike, I've ridden pretty consistently. I've always had at least one bike for the past 25+ years. But my riding time has really gone up since I got the Burgmans. I just enjoy them so much more than the MCs and I got into group riding several years ago. I'm throughly enjoying myself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bikersmurf & Liamjs, funny but very good and true lists...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ssylvester, so will you be riding a 650 next May? :p
Very likely, if I can find a nice 2007 in red (matching set with my 2008 ). However, my wife thinks she wants an UltraGlide. :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts