Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Riding history?

Bought a 1984 Vespa PX150 Elestart from a little bicycle shop in Nazareth, PA, in 1985. Got very little support from them, but did get the scoot at a good price (for the time). It was my primary and sole means of transportation through the last few months of high school, the following year, and a full year-plus while I was stationed at the Presidio of SF with the US Army. (I had it shipped out to SF at the Army's expense, heh.)

Sold it when I got my permanent assignment to Ft Hood. Should've kept it.

Hadn't ridden any motorcycles or scooters since 1988, until 2003, when I bought a Kymco People 150. Kept that for all of six months, and bought the Burgman 650. And here we are.

PWB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since the 50's with Cushman, Mustangs and Lambretta's. Had some 250cc Honda scooters in the early 80's. Plus wife added up over $150K in assorted motocycles for street use PLUS used to race flat track. But NOTHIN like this 650 Burgman! Mike
What was the Mustang like compared to the Cushman?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What was the Mustang like compared to the Cushman?
My Man Jerry, you realize you're asking a question regarding a 16 year old post? Doubt you'll get an answer but you never know ...

Reactions: John Holbrook

·
Registered
16 Posts
Might be the odd man out here but new to scooters and only a few years on 2 wheels. Started on a CBR500R, then bought a Royal Enfield Himalayan. Recently became the proud owner of an ‘09 Burgman 650 and so far I’m surprised by how much I love it. Since I don’t need two toys in the garage the Himalayan will probably go on the chopping block soon. It’s been a bit of a transition but I have definitely learned the appeal of scooters vs motorcycles. Very glad to be in the club!

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts
Himalayan.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Himalayan fat women with chains on.🤣

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would like to get a Himalayan to do some light adv riding.
That was my thoughts when I got it, but now that I’ve had for a little while, I find my adventures keeping me on the paved roads more often than not so I think something like the Burgman is more suited to my type of traveling.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Royal Enfield was possibly the best all-round bike of the 50s. It didn't have the handling of the Norton nor the flash and marketing of the Triumph/BSA, but it was more reliable and much easier to service. And, just as today, the BMW was overrated although in the 50s they were also very good.

Today's Enfield hasn't changed much; minor improvements. But the price and classic look are tempting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Royal Enfield was possibly the best all-round bike of the 50s. It didn't have the handling of the Norton nor the flash and marketing of the Triumph/BSA, but it was more reliable and much easier to service. And, just as today, the BMW was overrated although in the 50s they were also very good.

Today's Enfield hasn't changed much; minor improvements. But the price and classic look are tempting.
I’ve been very happy with it for what it is. For the money I think it’s hard to find a more capable bike than the Himalayan. But if I just want to do long distance touring...not so sure. I was definitely drawn to the history of the brand.

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts
I will not ever go single thumpers again or else a Himalayan would have been in my stable too.
The Royal E Continental GT 650 is on my short list. It has all the early 1960's look but is fuel injected, 4 valves per cylinder, Electronic ignition. It is air and oil cooled but if you are not in 115F days every ride its fine.

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Registered
681 Posts
That was my thoughts when I got it, but now that I’ve had for a little while, I find my adventures keeping me on the paved roads more often than not so I think something like the Burgman is more suited to my type of traveling.
I wouldn't get rid of both of my Burgmans, most likely keep the 400.
I will not ever go single thumpers again or else a Himalayan would have been in my stable too.
The Royal E Continental GT 650 is on my short list. It has all the early 1960's look but is fuel injected, 4 valves per cylinder, Electronic ignition. It is air and oil cooled but if you are not in 115F days every ride its fine.
Curious Dave, why no thumpers? NVH?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
Agreed.
As much as I have wanted a KLR type of bike for a long time (don't hate me for saying that) the idea of a thumper doesn't do it for me. I really like the RE Continental 650 for the history, style and cheap price. I would still like to have one someday but for now my short list has the Guzzi V85TT on it. I'll probably trade the Triumph if I do a trade but not sure about that. Multiple bikes are something that just happens on occasion.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts