Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long many of you have been riding scooters, what kind have you owned, and how many? I have been riding scoots for 15 years or so. My previous rides are as follows:

1986 Honda Spree-50cc
1990 Yamaha Zuma-50cc
1992 Honda Elite-250cc
1995 Honda Helix-250 cc
2004 Vento Triton R4-50cc

I know most people here either switched from motorcycles to scoots, or currently ride both. I just thought it would be nice to know if anyone has ridden them for several years, or own several now.

Thanks, JD 8)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
JD, about like you, I've owned scooters for 15 years or so. Started with a used 86 Helix, later replaced that one with another newer Helix, and then traded that for a new 2001 Reflex. Recently traded the Reflex for the Burg 400.

During this time I've owned a bike or two but find I ride the scooter much more. Back when I first got the 86 Helix I had a BMW R80 as my principle ride, but after riding the scooter on a 800 mile round trip and finding it more comfortable, for me anyway, I sold the Beemer.

Am lovin the the 400 as it provides the extra power I want, and capability for longish day rides which is about the extent of my physical capacity.

Have located two other retirees with 400's and we try to get in a breakfast and ride each week. Any other scooterists in the N.C. Triad area are welcome to join us.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I rode a friend's Honda Trail 50 a lot back in the late '60s. That and home-built "minibikes."

Rode a different friend's Honda (a 450 if I recall) during the '70s.

Bought my first bike, a Honda CH125 Elite, in '84 and never wanted a "regular" motorcycle after that.

Traded up for a CH250 Elite in '85. Got stolen a year and a half or so later.

Almost bought a Helix in '95 or so, but didn't. Rode a friend's Vespa a lot. (I have very understanding friends.)

Almost bought a Silverwing last month, but saw the Burgman 650 and it was love at first sight.

Now living hapilly ever after.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Since the 50's with Cushman, Mustangs and Lambretta's. Had some 250cc Honda scooters in the early 80's. Plus wife added up over $150K in assorted motocycles for street use PLUS used to race flat track. But NOTHIN like this 650 Burgman! Mike

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I owned a nondescript scooter back in the last 50's but somehow never owned another one till I bought my 400 a few months ago.
Over the years I have owned many bikes .My last bike a BMW cruisers was not as much fun as my scooter and not near as ease to get around with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Riding scooters

When I lived in Arcata, California I wrote a 50 CC Yamaha Zuma. We moved about 10 miles away to a fabulous parklike property. Still miss Arcata so I purchased a Burgman 400, and am in the process of becoming comfortable with it. Taking a safety class next week. Frankly, I was shocked at the ease and smoothness of the Burgman compared to a 50 CC.

Bob

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've owned more motorcycles than scooters. My first legally registered road machine was a scooter though - a used 1958 Cushman Eagle. I did buy a used Honda 90 in the 70's - it was a step through with a centrifugal clutch - kind of a cross between a small motorcycle and a scooter. Then around 1985 I sold my Goldwing and bought a new Honda Elite 250. Had it for a couple of years and enjoyed it, but went back to motorcycles. Last year I bought the new '03 AN650.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My scooter history

Started with a Lambretta 150 in '64, followed up by a Vespa in the late 60s, then went strictly motorcycles until '84 when I got an Elite 250. Since then I've had 2 Helixes (or is that Helii?) and am now the proud owner of a 650 Burgman. I also had 2 '99 Honda Pacific Coasts - got more questions like "What is that? - a scooter or a motorcyle".

Of course I've always had a "real" motorcycle to go with these until now. Sold the Harley but still have my Roadhawk trike.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Rod said:
Traded those in for 2 x 2003 Silver Burgman 650
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/1st-Ontar ... 683?full=1
Wow. That picture brought back memories.

I didn't have the top box, but other than that that's what mine looked like. I'd forgotten that the dash/windshield turned with the handlebars. In my mind it was more like my Burgman.

It looks kinda funny now, with that big "snout" sticking out, but I loved it at the time. It was the first new vehicle I'd ever owned. Lot's of freeway riding to work every day, even in the rain (and with snow on the ground, as long as it was mostly melted off the roads). I was poor, and it was the only transportation I had. But when it got stolen I used the insurance money to buy a used car, and didn't get another bike of my own until last month. No more riding in the rain -- or snow -- now. I've got a pick-up for that, and I keep my "baby" well covered when I'm not riding.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
I'd forgotten that the dash/windshield turned with the handlebars.
Me too. But as I recall, it worked pretty good. I don't remember ever looking into replacing it. Mine was also a twin of the ones in the pictures - same color, trunk, etc.. Good little machine. Of course it was the AN650 of its era - there weren't any bigger or better scooters at the time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Had a Honda Elite in '84, I think it was 50cc. The max speed was about 45. Only had it for a summer before I somehow dumped it at a light. Still don't know what happened. :? Big mistake: Not getting back on it and then selling it. :sad11:
Finally overcame my fears 5 years ago when I rode a moped (yeah, you can laugh! :lol: ) in Key West. Then I knew I wanted something more!
Was looking for a motorcycle and then, lo & behold, found the Burgies on the Suzuki site. And fell in love all over again. :love10:
Now I fall in love every "day that ends in Y," as someone said about riding.
Bryna

·
Registered
11 Posts
how long have you ridden scooters

Started riding motorcycles just over 22 years ago, but I saw the light about 13 years ago and switched to scooters when I found my Goldwing just a little big for my type of riding. Sold the Goldwing and purchased a used 1985 Honda Elite 250 with 1500 km. In 1992 I purchased new 1986 Honda Helix that I kept until 2003 when I got a chance to sell it. I still had the Elite 250 which I rode until I traded it for my Burgman 400 this past winter. The Honda scooters were great and I never had any problems with them but the Burgman 400 is a much better machine, really no comparison. Scooterrider

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been riding for almost 20 years.

86" Honda Elite 150cc (scooter)
85" Honda Interceptor 500cc (sportbike)
89" Kawasaki Ninja 600cc (sportbike)
89" Honda Hurricane 600cc (sportbike)
00" Kawasaki Ninja ZZR-250cc (sportbike)
02" Honda CBR600F4i 600cc (sportbike)
04"Suzuki Burgman 400cc (Super scooter)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I started my 2-wheel career on a scooter. Other than two days with a 250cc Honda Rebel for the MSF course, I've only rode scooters. I got my first one, a 150cc Malaguti F-18 Warrior in 2002 and picked up my Burgman a little less than a month ago. Already 800+ miles, and I've been away on business two weeks of those two months!

·
Registered
84 Posts
4 scooters in 5 years

MZ Moskito - 50
Aprilia SR50 Ditech - 50
(Considered switching to motorcycles ... decided to stick with scooters)
Piaggio BV200 - 200
Suzuki Burgman 650 - 650

Got the 650 so that I wouldn't have anything to lust after, since it's the biggest and the best.

NO regrets so far with my excellent ultimate choice.

David

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: 4 scooters in 5 years

Darex said:
Got the 650 so that I wouldn't have anything to lust after, since it's the biggest and the best.
Yes, it is always fun to own the best.

I'm just wondering how long it will take before someone produces a machine that truly betters the AN650 - and who the manufacturer will be. From a sales standpoint, more displacement & horsepower would be a major objective (at least in the USA) - but from my perspective, an improved ride for touring (without compromising handling) would be even more important. It will be interesting to watch - and I think it will happen within the next couple of years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Paul, I agree. I'm intrigued by the photos/mock-ups of the G-strider. It looks like the rider straddles it. That's one thing I miss about the scooter--I really like the idea of straddling the bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How Long?

Believe it or not, I have ridden exactly 19 days. I started my riders course on May 15th (Saturday) finished on the 16th and took delivery of my 650 on the 17. :D

On the 30th of May a learner driver made a left in front of me wrecking my bike and me :cry: . Just got the bike back on Thursday July 15th and have ridden every day since. :)

After every ride, it takes hours to get the grin off my face. :D

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
How long have you ridden scooters

JD, I have only been riding scooters for about three years. Have owned motorcycles all my life. Last one was a goldwing 1500. Loved it. But, it got to the point that with my bad hips it hurt to much to swing my leg up and piviot to get on a motorcycle. So, I sold it. Didn't ride anything for about a year then got a yamaha zuma. The step through design didn't hurt my hips and the leg forward position was different than on a bike and I found it more comfortable. So, I traded it in on a 2001 reflex. Really enjoyed it but wanted more power, So, I got the Burgman 650. Great riding position and it doesn't hurt my hips. when I roll the power on it reminds me of my goldwing. Even the fairing protection is similar. Now I can ride and really enjoy it. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts