Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to know what made you get a scooter. i do not think it from all are freind have one. do not be a sham to tell.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I got tired of pushing 600 + lbs around.
I don't need to go 120 in a 70 mile an hour zone.
Did not like only getting 36 mpg.
Could not see my bike under the saddle bags / tank bag / travel trunk.
Did more shifting in town then riding
It became work getting the bike out of the garage & out to the street
Riding the bike stopped being fun.
That will do for starters with even getting into the medical reason. :roll:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
My first was a Wizzer motor put on my JCHiggins with the help of an older neighbor who I think, he was part motorcycle. My second scooter was a Vesper left behind at a Navy base. I put claim to after it sat in storage for several years. My third was by chance a dealer owed me money and couldn't pay me and he had a Rabbitt scooter valued at what he owed me and we settled for the scooter. My fourth was my Blue Burgman 650, I call that love at first site.

Happy Trails,
Poppy, #482

·
Registered
240 Posts
my friend made me

I began to ride bikes again last year because I found it help me exercise. However, my ninja 500r proved to be too much exercise for long trips. A friend of mine suggested Burgman for its simplicity (being stuck in Houston traffic with a motorcycle lately?) and storage capacity (doing grocery with a spacepack?).

It has been great. I am now using ninja for shorter trips because it is more fun. Will take Burgman to Austin and New Orleans in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I got my first scooter (a Honda Elite 125) 20 years ago because I wanted a motorbike of some sort for around town driving and "fun," but I wanted to be "different."

But once I had it I quickly realized that it didn't meet my needs (after basically blowing off the third muffler in six months). Under our state's "Lemon Law" I got reimbursed by the dealer and I added the extra cash to move up to an Elite 250.

That did most of what I wanted it to do, although it was a strain sometimes. When that got stolen after less than a year and a half I swore off scooters until I saw the Honda Silver Wing (the scooter, not the old motorcycle of the same name) at the mall one day. I started looking into how scooters had changed over the years, and after looking at everything out there and getting an opinion from a co-worker I took the Burgman 650 on a test ride.

I bought a new one a few weeks later (2 1/2 weeks ago), and now have 1450 very happy miles on it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Scooters I have known

My first scooter was a Lambretta when I was stationed in Newport, RI in the 60s. Back then it was because I couldn't afford a car or a motorcycle. It was a Lambretta because I didn't want the same Vespa as everyone else.

Since then I've owned a succession of Honda scooters because they're great for commuting in the rainy Northwest. The first time I had to clean my Harley at the end of a particularly nasty Puget Sound winter was when I decided to add a scooter to the garage.

Now that I'm retired, I don't have any "excuse" to own a scooter - I just happen to love the Burgman.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
793 Posts
My first scooter wasn't a scooter at all, but a HondaMatic 400cc motorcycle
that had 2 semi-automatic gears and awsome acceleration (Carrs Honda - Chicago)
back in 1978.

The Burgman AN400 has better acceleration, better mpg, higher cruise speeds
and better luggage capacity than the Honda could have ever had.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Scooters I have known

dancote said:
...Since then I've owned a succession of Honda scooters because they're great for commuting in the rainy Northwest. The first time I had to clean my Harley at the end of a particularly nasty Puget Sound winter was when I decided to add a scooter to the garage....
Dan,

Where are you based? If you're ever going to be near Everett on a sunny Tuesday or Wednesday, send me a PM and maybe we can go riding together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts