Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me set the stage. It was a nice spring day, temp 72F and the sky was clear. I was at hour three of a nice five hour ride, having already had my lunch stop and hydrated.
Scooter: I was riding my JCL 257cc scooter, giving the Burgman a well-deserved rest. 26,500 miles, plenty of experience with this ride, it is no Hayabusa, and I know it. Nice tires all around, Sport Pilot on the front, new (2000 mile old) SC 2C in the rear.
Road: Highway 135 at mile marker 79, and well-traveled but technical road in Indiana, well known in the riding fraternity. This was only my second time on this stretch, and the first with this bike.
Speed 45 to 50 MPH estimated, about the pace I had been riding all day.
Here are some photos to help support my poor writing skills. These are re-enactment photos ?
This scene shows the incline, which I wish I had paid more attention to. The grade is quit steep.
[attachment=0:12xcemdp]SteepIndlineSigh.jpg[/attachment:12xcemdp]
Next photo, I start to realize an adjustment is needed. Note the first curve warning chevron. That is where I started my skid. There is a hard point on the left of the scooter for the side stand. It is a known issue and I have filed it down over 1.5 cm before this incident.
[attachment=1:12xcemdp]StartofCurvemorelean.jpg[/attachment:12xcemdp]
Photo three, just right of the yellow are two long scrape marks. These were caused by my side stand mount point; they are over 2 meters long and deep. What happens next is my line into the corner is altered due to the metal contact with the road. The bike loses rear wheel traction and I shift my weight upright slightly as a natural reaction. Now is when the stinking thinking that kills most riders kicks in. “Dang this is going to hurt”. “Will they every find me?” Luckily I had time to kick in my plan.
[attachment=2:12xcemdp]MarksinRoad.jpg[/attachment:12xcemdp]
I recently taught my teen age daughter to ride. Gear up, know your ride, and practice for the worst to get the best outcome. My key phrase, which took over for me in this event was “Never give up”. I thought of her and my teaching and acted on it.

This is my, it is going to hurt photo. My weight distribution on the bike is wrong, and if feels like the corner is sucking me in. We all know that feeling eh.
[attachment=3:12xcemdp]DoSomthing.jpg[/attachment:12xcemdp]

This is my, never give up, full counter steer photo. I was right of the white line when doing my recovery. Notice the nice patch of extra pavement, thank you DOT.

[attachment=4:12xcemdp]FullCounterSteerRecovery.jpg[/attachment:12xcemdp]
I have long since quit riding to the limits of my abilities, but I know what a bike can do, and have seen plenty of riders, just ride off the road to pain. “Never give up”.

I have since filed down the remainder of the side stand mount, about 3mm more, and will make further riding adjustment for this bike. I have had a total of one low side in over 30+ years of street riding (rain). But numerous slides, skids, and whoops, in the dirt. Dirt riding skills have saved my bacon more than once. Be safe all and ride on.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Final photo, there is a 5 photo limit.

My next thoughts were to thank Jesus, and do some massive fist pumps.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm familiar with that empty feeling as the white line comes closer. My experience told me that counter steering is intuitive because I also squeeked through that turn disaster free but it was a close call. What got me in my experience was a turn that got tighter halfway through it combined with unfamiliarity with that particular stretch. Since I hope to always ride on new roads this taught me further and again to be hyper attentive when riding. Gawking at the scenery is for days in the car. If the fall leaves are in full color and I want to take pictures I try to drive the car with the roof down but if I want to feel one with the road I ride my scoot.

Cars are forgiving, bikes are not so much....

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Your so right never give up!
The best recovery I ever had was from tranny oil on a curve and happened so fast I have no clue how I saved it.
I just kept my hands on the bars and instinct took over. I just knew I was high siding for sure.
I think the seat pucker helped. :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tim, I'm glad you shared your experience so others may benefit.

I think we've met at JCP in Plainsfield. I had a JCL 250. It was my first scooter but it is sold and since then I've had several different scooters.

Keep riding safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts