Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Austin, Texas and its the height of summer. Daily temps are 100-105 for highs. That's just too high for me to ride. Sweat rolls down in my eyes while I'm riding and my clothes just stick to me after awhile.

So what are the limits for the rest of you guys/girls out there. I'd love to ride to work everyday but I'd hate to have to work in stinky sweaty clothes.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
When I lived in the Waco area, I rode home
2 or 3 times when it was 105/106....only
remember 107 one time....I was already hot
& sweaty....it was much cooler when I went
to work at 5:30 in the morning.
The lousy A/C in that '92 Mack dumptruck
only helped some. Mostly bare metal
inside that cab...no insulation.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When it is really hot, like over 90 degrees or so, I like to have my wet vest with me. Helps a lot for a while. As long as it is wet that is. Way better than nothing for sure.

But after hem-hawing around for a while several months ago I broke down and bought me a Veskimo vest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwbtrV7RGA and now I can ride for hours in cool comfort.

Riding from Phoenix Az to Hobbs NM several weeks ago in 105 degree temps was nothing. Nothing! I stayed so cool that I was giggling to myself at how comfortable that I was. Really nice when something actually works better than you hoped that it would.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So what are the limits for the rest of you guys/girls out there. I'd love to ride to work everyday but I'd hate to have to work in stinky sweaty clothes.
I have no temperature limits, either high or low. I've ridden when it was as hot as 110˚F (with no "cooling" gear) and when it was as low as 16˚F (with no "heated" gear).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, yes, YES - I KNOW it is wrong, but here where it is generally high 30s I find shorts, a vest and flip flops keeps me nice and cool.

When I was living and biking in the UK that would have been a total no-no, But over here it never rains; we have no diesel spills; most of the population ride mopeds, scooters or bikes, but the biggest bonus is that (with all the tourists visiting during the summer) I can park right where I want to, when I want to! Even on the pavement!

Standing by for incoming.............

·
Registered
38 Posts
For more than a short 5 or 10 minute ride, about 100 is as hot as I will ride. Once the temperature gets much above body temperature, it gets too miserable. But then in Arkansas, I have to deal with high humidity on top of the heat.

I have found that a white open face helmet really helps.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
It depends on where I am riding. If I am in the city with stop and go traffic I don't like to ride much above 95 degrees. If I am out in the country where I am moving all the time then I ride in 100+. Hottest I can remember riding in is 112.

However as I get older I find I am more and more reluctant to ride in the really hot stuff. Same with winter riding. I once would ride all day in sub freezing temps. Don't do that any more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've ridden in 25F and 110F. Yes, it's a dry heat.:) When it's 100+ and I'm on city streets stopping and going I will lift my chin piece for more air, the front of my jacket is zipped part way down and the jacket cuffs are open.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Over 120 and still riding.
Ding ding ding... I think we have a winner!

I'm good to about 115, but I didn't like it at all. 105 is acceptable, much above that and it's kinda miserable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I once saw a guy riding a Harley while wearing nothing but a pair of cutoffs and flip-flops. And a helmet. He was an older guy, too, not a kid, judging from the grey in his hair and beard---old enough to know better!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
As I get older & wiser the high temperature I will ride in has dropped. Have ridden in 117 but sure wasn't fun. 110 is my limit now. Was 90 at 5:15 this morning heading to 113.
I drove the car with A/C this morning to work. ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have yet to know my limit. Hottest day I've ridden was last week at 95 degrees and I was comfortable. Interestingly enough I have found that wearing my mesh jacket seems to enable me to deal with the heat better, than no jacket at all. I credit this to the sun not hitting my skin directly. It's been a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Summer in lower Alabama is pretty much a No Ride Zone. :( It's not fun. Not even on B400.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I was riding the scooter last summer coming back from Calgary through the Rockies and at one point it was 41 degrees Celsius. No wind and it was quite unbearable. I had no option but to keep going though and I am positive that it was pretty much to blame for my getting a bad dose of flu the next day. I had to spend 2 days in Osoyoos instead of 1 and both of those days in bed sick as could be. When I get over heated I don't deal with it well. Leftover effect from being in the heat in Singapore and Malaysia during my teens when my Dad was stationed over there in the Royal Navy. Much prefer a mild temperature setting, neither too hot nor too cold.
Sally.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have yet to know my limit. Hottest day I've ridden was last week at 95 degrees and I was comfortable. Interestingly enough I have found that wearing my mesh jacket seems to enable me to deal with the heat better, than no jacket at all. I credit this to the sun not hitting my skin directly. It's been a pleasant surprise.

I have a mesh jacket that I sometimes wear. Usually I'll wear a baggy white shirt with long sleeves to keep the sun off. Seems to help...

·
Registered
735 Posts
So far, I've ridden my Lardy in temps from 6F to 103F. I think 55F is the perfect riding temp for me. Looking forward to autumn.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts