Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people, on seeing my new Burgman for the first time, have asked me how fast it can go.

"Someone" I know (name withheld to protect the guilty) recently returned from a long road trip. Out in the middle of Eastern Washington's wheat fields, on a clear warm day with nothing visible for miles and miles but more miles and miles, he just had to see what his new AN650K3 could do. He's normally a law abiding citizen and has a perfect driving record. He only had 700 miles on the bike, so really shouldn't have pushed it to the limit, but he couldn't help himself.

From an easy 60MPH and 3800 RPM he rolled on the throttle until the engine reached 6000RPM and held it there. The engine came to life, and the bike surged forward like a panther released from a cage. Faster and faster it went. The CVT kept the RPMs at exactly 6000 indicated, even as the speed crept higher and higher.

Finally, at an indicated 112MPH, the long straightaway (and the rider's resolve) ran out, and he rolled off the throttle and returned to sanity.

Even with the 10% error known to exist in Burgman 650 speedometers, that was a good 101 - 102 MPH. And the rider thinks that maybe it could have gone a little faster still.

He had the stock windshield, a full tank of gas, and a small duffle with a change of clothes and a rain suit in the trunk. He's a bit over 6' tall and weighs a bit over 230 pounds.

He now has no doubts about the ability of his Burgman to carry him on a cross-country trip this fall.

[Edit: See an update by me further down this thread, on August 2, 2004]

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
What this unknown person did was just preventitive maintenance by cleaning out the carbon build up. I would'nt hold this reckless action against them :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Since this was purely in the interest of science I think we can let it slide.
I hope you .I mean your friend, was wearing the right protective gear :roll:

·
Registered
220 Posts
A close friend rode my Burgman at a steady 100mph for ten minutes and said it would obviously go faster, but he just wanted to see what it was like at a steady cruise. I couldn't ride it as my back has gone bad. He said it was fairly steady at that pace, a compliment seeing as he rides a Ducati.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
burgermeister said:
Brian,
Perhaps you should consider going with him. ......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I work 40 miles north of Las Vegas. Speedlimit is posted at 70mph. Slow people do 78MPH and most do 85, and select groups run 90 and higher on a regular basis. Once in awhile I will run for 5-10 miles at a 90-105 indicated MPH. On occasions where I push it to its limits. I always bump up against 111mph-115mph. I have the Xl Clearview screen and I weigh 220lbs. So I tell people its 110 MPH with my fat butt on it.
-

·
Registered
67 Posts
How Fasst???

111 indicated is the fastest I've seen. That is about 100 actual mph. Front end gets a little twitchy but not too bad. I'm glad it only goes that fast. Sometimes I feel the "need for speed" and if it went faster I would go faster which I shouldn't do. It's kinda like an alchoholic who wants another beer but knows he shouldn't have one but does anyway but also wishes there were no beer around to temp him. Does that make any sense? Awwhhh hell, I'm too drunk to care..........just kidding. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I got to 115 indicated with the stock windscreen and the Givi trunk removed. 108 with the stock screen and the Givi Trunk on. I sometimes couldn't hit 100 indicated with the XXL Clearview screen on.

I don't really do this often - just when I change accessory configurations. I want to know where performance is going to tank for evaluating passes on the 2 lane highways. The more critical point is where acceleration drops off though. With the stock screen and Givi trunk (current configuration) that is about 98 mph. So if I think a pass would entail a terminal speed of greater than 95 mph I wait for a better shot at it. Terminal speed being at the point where I am past the vehicle(s) and pulling back into my lane. Of course passing while going uphill or against a stiff headwind calls for even more discretion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but regarding windscreens: Mine definitely needs to be 2" taller so of the after market ones (or did I read that Suzuki has one too) which is the pick of the bunch and where do I get it?

Givi looks pretty good but I would ahve to import it from US. Even then, some of the suppliers won't send overseas and some want to charge a fortune to do it.

Would one of you kind Burgmen mind having things delivered then re-shipping to us poor people in the rest of the world? This would give us access to such a larger range of products.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've taken the 650 to an indicated 116 mph with standardscreen, 50kg passenger on the back, and 15kg of camping gear under the seat. Flat ground. I went up to a similar speed solo on the highway, and sensed a slight twitchiness at the front that didn't encourage me to accelerate further. Perhaps this is due to the front end aerodynamics being designed more for wind protection as opposed to downforce, and the slightly rear biased weight positioning. My Reflex has a similar feeling from 80mph to it's max of around 87mph - it does weigh considerably less, and due to locating the engine on the swingarm it has nothing but fuel weighing the front down.

Interestingly, the 650 feels considerably more stable at an indicated 116mph with a passenger. On that run it was still accelerating, if very slowly, but I rolled off due to boredom (the Bullet train does high speed better) and the fact that the screen provides no wind protection for the passenger, and I very much wanted my girlfriend to remain on the bike as opposed being in the path of following traffic...

I'd say that it's probably good for an indicated 120mph in ideal conditions, although the published reports of GPS verified 115mph max speeds leads one to half suspect that an indicated 125mph or so should be possible with a 5ft6ins 60kg rider (typical Japanese test rider) wearing wind cheating leather, zero luggage and very little fuel.

Nice to know, but how many members of this forum are of those bodily dimensions, ride in a racing 1-piece suit, carry no luggage whatsoever, and ride with 2 litres of fuel in the tank?

·
Registered
308 Posts
lycheed said:
Nice to know, but how many members of this forum are of those bodily dimensions, ride in a racing 1-piece suit, carry no luggage whatsoever, and ride with 2 litres of fuel in the tank?
I had the appliance on flat raod to 119 indicated for over 35 minutes. It did not feel unstable, but rather light on its feet. Im thinking maybe a 1/4 turn on the steering head might help.

Did you read my post on the front axel pinch bolt?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Abm,

Interesting. An indicated 120mph is potentially within this appliance's performance envelope. What were you wearing? How big are you? Where you carrying any luggage? How were the wind conditions?

I suppose by twitchiness I didn't mean instability, just one of those feelings that you take note of at first, and very quickly get used to. I'm comparing it to an 1100 sports tourer in terms of front end feel, which will lead to odd comparisons being drawn at higher speeds.
Sadly, I've not read the other post yet. I'll track it down and have a look.

Lycheed

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
abm said:
I had the appliance on flat raod to 119 indicated for over 35 minutes.
119 indicated is about 107 true. Where were you able to cruise at over 100MPH for 35 minutes without getting a ticket?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Interesting. They started a "How fast does it go?" thread over on the V-Strom forum for the Suzuki 650cc V-Strom motorcycle.

It would appear that our 650 Burgmans are quite close to the motorcycle. I was honestly surprised.

Some of the reports:

115 mph indicated (with luggage mounted). Held it at that speed for 10 miles - no more left.

117 mph indicated, 240 lb rider, slight upgrade.

120 mph indicated with Givi top case on, but a slight wobble had set in.

These were the 3 highest top speeds reported so far. Considering that the Burgman 650 is at least 100 lbs heavier than the V-Strom 650 - it does quite well. I did see 115 indicated on mine with the stock windscreen and the Givi trunk removed. I did NOT however, hold it at that speed for 10 miles looking for more....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just thought I would chime in here. There hasn't been much said about the 400's top speed. Yesterday, purely in the name of science mind you, I pushed my baby a lil bit.

Facts: I am 5'11" 210ish lbs. Full tank of gas. Spare helmet in storage area nothing else. No passenger.

I was travelling at a steady 70MPHs and then maxed the throttle. I cruised to up to 95MPHs. I only kept it there for a short while, but the ride was smooth, the engine wasn't screaming, and I think if I had more room to try, I could have pinned it! I will have to try again later. :lol:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dan,

Wow! :thumbup: Were you on 95? The Tpike?

Bryna

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nope, 309 between Montgomeryville and Quakertown. But Shh! Don't tell the cops! And don't tell Laura! LOL! :shock:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Pauljo,

Interesting comparison - the 650 AV-storm. You can also compare the An650 to some smaller engined motorcycles, such as the RVF400. The 1994-2000 RVF400 is a 400c V4 replica of the RC45 RVF750, and was sold only in Japan.

It weighs 165kg, has 60bhp, 26ftlbs torque

Top speed: 142mph (GPS verified)

How can it run to this speed on only 60bhp when the 1994 VFR750 ran to a similar 147mph top speed on 100bhp. Well, aerodynamics - being fitted with the 1992 RVF endurance racers faring, it had the lowest drag Cd of any production motorcycle ever built, and is still amongst the lowest ten years later.

There are a few of significant speeds with motorcycle aerodynamics: 110mph, 160mph and 190mph. Road speeds of up to 110mph can be achieved by most machines, but it requires either power or slippery aerodynamics to get above that. Power and reasonable aerodynamics or extremely slippery aerodynamics will get you somewhere up to 160mph-ish, but won`t get you much further. That`s why the x11 (naked Blackbird) can only manage 165mph on 160bhp, whereas the Blackbird can manage 187mph. However, power and aerodynamics won't get you beyond 190mph (Blackbird, Hayabusa, ZX12R) you need a huge amount of power and really slippery aerodynamics to do that (Hayabusa Turbo).

For that reason, the V-storm 650, AN650, Monster 750 and other 50-60bhp or so machines that weren't designed for the high-speed bowl or race circuit so consequently don't have slippery aerodynamics usually top out somewhere around 100-115mph. The fact that the AN650 does this on 55bhp (and significant power degradation through the transmission to the rear wheel) with it's weather and wind protection orinetated front end fairing design is a pleasent surprise, and testomony to the the depth of thought that went into Suzuki's design.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lycheed said:
...The fact that the AN650 does this on 55bhp (and significant power degradation through the transmission to the rear wheel) with it's weather and wind protection orinetated front end fairing design is a pleasent surprise, and testomony to the the depth of thought that went into Suzuki's design.
Dynamometer testing by MCN shows actual horsepower at the rear wheel to peak at 37.4 (@ ~7500RPM), and a hefty 58.6 lb. ft. of torque (@ ~2500RPM).

The horsepower curve is quite flat above 2800RPM -- between 30 & 37.4.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts