Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've read many times how members have gone out for something and wound up riding WAY out of their way to get there.

On one of the recent posts, a member wrote he rode 100 miles for pizza. I myself once rode 80 miles for an enchilada.

So what's the furthest you've ever ridden for something inconsequential? And what was it? NOT something you picked up along the way on a bigger ride or part of a week-long planned route. But something you either hadn't planned and the urge just hit you to go and get. Your favorite meal, the produce they only have at that one farm out of town, the romantic view your significant other wanted to see on a lark. Whatever. It's just got to be extemporaneous and unplanned.

Looking forward to reading who went the furthest for the least.

·
Registered
34 Posts
162 miles from Lancaster Pa to Lock Haven Pa for a Texas Growler. It was good!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
52 Posts
From VA to South Dakota,1,642 miles for ribs and steak. I have ridden 452 miles round trip for pizza and a chocolate eclair too many times to count. I have a friend that will get up in the morning decide he wants a cup of coffee and ride from VA to South Carolina just for a cup of coffee or to Texas for a steak, turn around and come home! I am not exaggerating, he is retired and loves it. I want to do that when I retire!!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just rode 230 miles roundtrip to eat lunch at the Rusty Fork restaurant in Elkhorn City, KY only to find out it closed in January.

Last year we rode 380 miles round trip just to look at the new Indian Motorcycles.

When the new BMW scooters came out, we rode 200 miles round trip to look at them.

Rode 1,200 miles round trip to see the Barber Motorsports Vintage Museum in Birmingham, AL.

The really bad thing we do is we ride 150-300 miles one day a week for absolutely nothing.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Rode 125 miles Round trip in the snow on Jan 1st just to see the Sunrise on a new year.

270 miles round trip just for the Pulled Pork Sammie at Country Boys in Cashmere, WA. While there I spent $100 on Aplet & Cotlets fresh from the Liberty Orchards store.

240 miles for a Wiener Schnitzel Sammie and a couple of Imp pints of Oatmeal Stout at Boundary Bay Brewery in Bellingham, WA. Two Growlers to go too.

Rode 320 miles thru the German Schwarzwald and Austrian Alps for a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Black Forest Cake) and a special Cuckoo Clock.

I went over 75 miles to get a 1/2 gallon of Ice Cream. The store is 5 miles away. Made the mistake of getting the Ice Cream first.:geek:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
1600 KM in 36 hours in May to find spring. I did :D.

9 degrees C when I left Toronto 31 C when I hit Renovo PA 5 hours later ( seems I found mid summer ).

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
1600 KM in 36 hours in May to find spring. I did :D.

9 degrees C when I left Toronto 31 C when I hit Renovo PA 5 hours later ( seems I found mid summer ).

This was entirely impulsive - got up early on Friday cuz I was still time shifted from Australia and it was dumb cold for mid May and just pointed it south peeling layers the whole way. Got home Saturday night.....

Oddly enough - have ridden very little since. :confused:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This, folks, is inspiring!!:D
Or fattening as I'm hungry now and realize I've got two bikes fully fueled, ready to ride for the weekend... and a day off.

I wonder if that Mexican place is open on the 4th of July?

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Or fattening as I'm hungry now and realize I've got two bikes fully fueled, ready to ride for the weekend... and a day off.

I wonder if that Mexican place is open on the 4th of July?
Its the 4th of July even in Germany. But Independence Day is different. :D

The old joke, "Do they have the 4th of July in China" :twisted:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
900 miles (round trip) to get my favorite hot sauce. Now granted, I got to see two of my brothers while on the trip as well but the goal was the hot sauce. The sauce is Mexican Villa hot sauce and is only available at their restaurants in Springfield, MO.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have no commute . All of my rides are for Real reason other than to ride. So a 200 mile round trip ride to get breakfast or a 700 mile one way to stay at a road side rest are all part of it.

The ride is the reason the destination the excuse .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went out for soap powders the other night and got back two hours later after a nice ride...did i mention I hate to do laundry?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I road 400 miles yesterday just to take a picture of a road sign.

On another board we are playing a game trying to get a picture of a bike beside one of the road number signs for every FM road in the state of Texas. We are doing them in sequential order. I've made quite a few 300 to 400+ miles rides picking up road sign pictures.

BTW FM stands for farm to market. They are basically two lane rural highways. There are over 3600 of them in Texas and we are working on the 2800 number range right now. Most are identified as FM roads but some are identified as ranch to market with a RM prefix or ranch roads with an RR prefix. As time has gone by some that were originally rural roads have been taken in by urban development. Those are sometimes renamed as urban roads with a UR prefix.

·
Registered
350 Posts
400+ miles round-trip to grab the ADV West Virginia Tag (see Post #3110) . I live on the north edge of the state and the tag was sitting within a stone's throw of the south border. It was a nice day, the gas tank was full, and the Burgman was calling my name......... :D

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Either 251 or 202 miles from Ogden, UT for a raspberry milkshake in Garden City (on Bear Lake). It was probably the 251 mile loop rather than the more-entertaining but slower 202 mile route that day, though.

If you're ever out that way, it was I-15N to Brigham City, UT-89E through Logan to Lake City, then UT-16 to Evanston, WY, and back via I-80 and I-84. The "shortcut" comes back via UT-16 and UT-39.

Man, I miss those Wasatch Front backroads, even if they did take out all the tight corners between Logan and Bear Lake.

The "shortcut" I mentioned above includes a 48.5-mile stretch of winding and twisty mountain road without a stop sign... (UT-39 between Huntsville and Woodruff)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was visiting my parents in Wilmington, DE one summer when I got a call from my daughter's boyfriend. She was in jail back in Tampa. So, instead of riding out to Gettysburg for a romantic encounter the next day, I threw my leg over the bike and burned off a quick 1,024 miles to bail her out. Didn't even take the time to collect receipts for an Iron Butt award.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was visiting my parents in Wilmington, DE one summer when I got a call from my daughter's boyfriend. She was in jail back in Tampa. So, instead of riding out to Gettysburg for a romantic encounter the next day, I threw my leg over the bike and burned off a quick 1,024 miles to bail her out. Didn't even take the time to collect receipts for an Iron Butt award.
Well I don't think bailing a daughter out of jail quite qualifies as inconsequential, but heck of a ride all the same. You must be a great dad!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts