Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling then buying back my Burgman 650 (previous posting)... I know that long distance touring is no problem for the Burgman 650. After trading in a Honda Metropolitan to get my B650ex back, I am using my Burgman 650 for long distance, but now mostly for city commuting in Los Angeles.

Previously the weight of the B650 was a problem, but after having it for several years now.. the B650 is just as easy to drive as any mid-size motorcycle with lots of advantages with storage, twist-to-go, windscreen, etc.

1) Is there any one else that uses their B650 for stop & go traffic?

2) How does the B650 hold out for daily commuting traffic.. sometimes bumper-to-bumper without being able to split lanes even with the mirrors tucked?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I commuted everyday with my 400 now on my 650, the only differences are the fuel mileage and the width of the 650 which make one triple guess splitting lanes. Here in NYC, traffic, lousy streets and bumper to bumper are a way of life and I find the 650 to handle it well it would be a lot better if the suspension wasn't so crappy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had a '05 650 and now have an '11. Both have been my main commuter vehicles. Neither one has ever let me down, but then I do all my own maintenance. I ride year round in all weather except ice. These machines are very well made and with proper care can go a long way. The only thing that I get paranoid about is the battery. Since you can't push start or kick start it, I change the battery after about 4 years whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me have own 2 Burgman 650, presently have 2009 that purchase new in may 2010, both burgie be extremely good bikes, me only use for touring, do not commute, Burgie 650 solid well built machine, never have problem in past and these such fun machine to ride, make riding so pleasant and not stressful. Like all bike it has some + and - but best allaround bike ever have.

Purchase Executive model with electric folding mirrors and electric windshield for commuting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwXi60p7wY

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Jetfixer said:
I've had a '05 650 and now have an '11. Both have been my main commuter vehicles. Neither one has ever let me down, but then I do all my own maintenance. I ride year round in all weather except ice. These machines are very well made and with proper care can go a long way. The only thing that I get paranoid about is the battery. Since you can't push start or kick start it, I change the battery after about 4 years whether it needs it or not.
I always have these under the seat http://store.yuasabatteries.com/p/jumper-cables but have only used them 2 time to start hardlies never for me. Suzuki battery in me first Burgie last 6 year and was still in bike when me trade on new one and worked excellent still. Me cables only 6 feet long take no space under seat, good inexpensive insurance if ever need boost.

OEM battery in present 2009 burgie starting 5th year now and show no sign of problem.

When get home after ride battery immediately connect to small battery charger to maintain battery in good condition.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Chérie said:
presently have 2009 that purchase new in may 2010
Chérie said:
OEM battery in present 2009 burgie starting 5th year now and show no sign of problem.
Battery only activated during assembly before sale, does not compute. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey! I also have a Meteropolitan and a 650. Small world.

I use both for commuting. In my case, it is only 5 miles to work, most of it in stop and go and 30mph roads.
It was ruining my car engine as it would never get up to operating temp. and the oil would collect moisture and debris from never getting hot enough to 'boil' it out.
I take the Metro to work if I am coming straight home and the 650 if I 'have' to go someplace afterwards. (I almost ALWAYS have to go somewhere afterwards donch'ya know.) :D
I ride two weels in all weather except tornados, monsoon downpours and ice. My daughter had a bad wreck in her car two months ago and appropriated the Metro so, I am on the 650 100% now. (Oh darn!)
So far, so good. I have put a little over 4,000 miles on it and have had no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I grew up in the LA area so I know how bad that traffic can be. I have used my 09 for work commute of 50 miles round trip for 2 months now. No problems at all. Traffic here is worst in the winter when all the snowbirds are in town. Does let up come summer & as the temp pushes 100 less and less bikes are on the road. Should be 100+ today but not a big problem for me or my 650. Only lived in the desert for 43+ years............that's why I'm a Desert Rat. :lol:

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
R1200 said:
After selling then buying back my Burgman 650 (previous posting)... I know that long distance touring is no problem for the Burgman 650. After trading in a Honda Metropolitan to get my B650ex back, I am using my Burgman 650 for long distance, but now mostly for city commuting in Los Angeles.

Previously the weight of the B650 was a problem, but after having it for several years now.. the B650 is just as easy to drive as any mid-size motorcycle with lots of advantages with storage, twist-to-go, windscreen, etc.

2) How does the B650 hold out for daily commuting traffic.. sometimes bumper-to-bumper without being able to split lanes even with the mirrors tucked?
My 650 spends most of its time in LA and is the perfect companion for daily commuting, especially in stop & go traffic in LA, and I have large saddle bags on it at all times.

The trick is finding those open spaces between cars and slipping through, I seldom get stuck in traffic with the 650 or any other bike.

practice practice practice...

make sure that your service it regularly and it should hold up well...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I've been using my '09 for two years now to commute with, a couple miles here/there on the street then carpool lane 30 miles roundtrip each day.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
In common with previous posters, I use my 650 as my daily commuter (at least while my 400 is still down), and when both bikes are available, then 2-3 days/week.

I do prefer the 400 for the commute, in some respects, but principally beacuase it "seems" more fun because I'm having to push it harder than I do the 650. But it's not as though it's any better, or worse, just different.

The 650 copes with stop and go traffic just fine, in Florida temperatures, with no lane-splitting.

I think the 400 is the perfect commuter bike, but the 650 is a close second, and on those days when I feel like riding home in "sportbike rider' mode, the 650 delivers there too!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
R1200 said:

Just got back in on my purchase of a 2011 model. I hit a lot of traffic and with the weight so low, it isn't an issue. I've owned them before and they run cooler than any other bike I've owned.

R1200 said:
The scooter does fine. I as the rider could fare better. I hate stop n go traffic and lane splitting isn't allowed here.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I forgot my '03 (26K) I used mostly for commuting also for years (same route), at least until the CVT bearing/splines went.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
MJR said:
Chérie said:
presently have 2009 that purchase new in may 2010
[quote="Chérie":3g8i5dir]OEM battery in present 2009 burgie starting 5th year now and show no sign of problem.
Battery only activated during assembly before sale, does not compute. :D[/quote:3g8i5dir]

MJR bike in showroom May or June 2009, recession at peak no buyer, make better deal in May 2010 than 2009, battery was in bike for 1 year already when me purchase in May 2010.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Chérie said:
MJR bike in showroom May or June 2009, recession at peak no buyer, make better deal in May 2010 than 2009, battery was in bike for 1 year already when me purchase in May 2010.
It happens I guess (I think my '87 Helix and '03 Burgy did for a short time before I bought them) though my new '09 (same with my '86 Honda Helix back in the day) I bought in April 2011 sat in a crate which was only assembled after I made a deal online for it and prior to pickup so the battery didn't sit activated on mine (they usually don't like sitting).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad to hear that the Burgman 650 holds up in city commuting and bumper-to-bumper traffic. Previously I was using my B650ex mainly for touring and longer rides. Now I use it for both commuting and touring. I ride 12 months out of the year.

When I sold my BMWs, my B650ex felt heavy compare to my lighter R1200R. After a several years of riding the B650ex... the low center of gravity does compensate for the lighter, top heavy R1200R.

My B650ex was almost sold several times and I told the dealership that they could make a profit from the sale, but if my B650ex was not sold... I was going to buy it back.

I was also worried about not touring on in and not burning out any water condensation; however, I've seen some Triumph 800+cc owners who say that they would never take their Triumph 800+cc touring(too uncomfortable, not practical -for city commuting only!).

Even though the Burgman is only a 650, the ability to tour at an indicated 80+mph smoothly and commute in the city is an all around better choice. Having the windscreen and under the seat storage makes it even better for touring and long distance riding without buying add-on accessories. The back rest even better for carrying a passenger.. All comes standard on the B650ex without buying optional accessories.

I just got back from work in Santa Monica and saw someone with a grey Burgman 650 with hard side saddle bags and top box. I was in a rush so I couldn't talk to the owner, but it looks like his Burgman 650 was set up for some heavy summer long distance touring :D

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
R1200 said:
... I just got back from work in Santa Monica and saw someone with a grey Burgman 650 with hard side saddle bags and top box. I was in a rush so I couldn't talk to the owner, but it looks like his Burgman 650 was set up for some heavy summer long distance touring :D
that was my scoot, my daily commuter, saw you leave the parking lot with your backpack on....
I often park there when I go to REI or the promenade.... hope to catch you one of these days....

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Lanes are too small for the amount of filtering (lane splitting?) that I have to do on my commute. I much prefer my SH300i for the daily commute - it's just that little bit thinner. I keep my Burg under covers at my workpace and apart from the odd European trip, I only use it when I have to or on sunny weekends! If I had the sort of commute that involved mainly motorways or major roads it would get used much more. Joe_90 on here uses his every day for commuting but he only works about 5 minutes from where he lives!

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
I commuted to work on motorcycles for over 15 years then took a break. In 2005 I started again with a Suzuki GS425 but found that commuting in stop and stop traffic was not so fun.In 2006 I bought my first Burgman, a used 2003 650. I put 54,000 miles on it, about 90% commuting. Bought a wrecked 2008, rebuilt it and got 15,000 commuting miles on it and crashed. Then my second 2008 bought used with 305 miles on it. Again, 90% commuting and its at 39,000 miles.

SO, IMHO, NO! NOT a good commuter. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts