Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Scenario:
You are on a 4-5 day tour on your Burgman, staying at hotels along the way. There is no parking in front of your room, so you'll have to park and secure it overnight around the corner from your room (i.e., no peeking out your window to see if its OK).
The Questions:
(We'll assume that it's a given that we will lock the steering wheel, cover the key access, and maybe set the parking brake).
Are wheel locks adequate, or can the bike be (relatively) easily loaded on a ramp and trucked away (let's assume 2-3 nasty thieves)?
How about those super ultra 5 ft. chain cables? Is running one of those through one wheel and around something permanent adequate, or can the wheel be removed by someone who's a good thief?
What have you done?
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
On the right side of the Burgman, there is a cutout on the body panel just for securing the bike with a chain. It is there to allow the chain to go thru the frame easily. A deternined theif will just cut the chain with a set of bolt cutters. If I couldn't park close to my door, I'd look for security cameras and make sure the bike was in line of sight for them or try to park where the bike is in a heavy traffic area, like close to the front door of the hotel. Theives hate to be seen.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:p You could try parking in your room. Put a blanket over it. And bed it down for the night. :p

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Chain & locks are great but also quiet if cut. I would get a cheep LOUD alarm like you mite use on the motel door, or a cheep motion sensitive (mercury switch) alarm.
The ones I am thinking about are under 20 or 30 bucks, put it in the seat -no you will most likely not hear it but the crook will and it may be just enough to get him to run.
Also recommend a full cover ,I find them to be a pain in the a** but it stops people from putting there kids on your bike, and most crooks want to see what there trying to steel -anything to make them spend more time - you should park under a light ! And sometimes the night clerk will let you park right out front.
And last of all, make sure you have theft insurance on the bike (at least for the trip)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It depends a bit on where you are staying. I stayed mostly in small rural towns and didn't worry too much. Just locked the forks & used the ignition cover plate thingy. In one town I had to park on the street. It was an older hotel that didn't have a parking lot. But I was usually able to park in front of the lobby windows. When I can, I try to find one of the older style motels where I can park right outside the room. A well lit area is also good to look for. I additionally carry a disk lock, and use it if I feel at all uneasy with the surroundings.

Basically, you are securing the scooter against a "joy ride" type theft. A professional thief is just going to pick it up with a sling (or a couple of accomplices) and slide it into a van. They'll deal with any locks later. But a professional thief is going to prefer to steal a more mainstream motorcycle. Their goal is usually to chop the machine up and sell the parts, and the market for Burgman parts is quite limited compared to a Harley or another popular cruiser or sport bike.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
pauljo said:
Basically, you are securing the scooter against a "joy ride" type theft. A professional thief is just going to pick it up with a sling (or a couple of accomplices) and slide it into a van. They'll deal with any locks later. But a professional thief is going to prefer to steal a more mainstream motorcycle. Their goal is usually to chop the machine up and sell the parts, and the market for Burgman parts is quite limited compared to a Harley or another popular cruiser or sport bike.
Good advise

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Texascycle,
Were they ground floor rooms or a little more challenging? :p
Don't know if the 650 would fit through a standand door?!
Hmmm..I like it, something to think about.
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most of the in room motorcycling was with a KLR650 ... so upstairs would have been fine if the stairs didn't wrap around. The only bike I managed that with was my little YSR50, but it isn't that good for touring, especially two up :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Here is a really good system I'm considering.
Lets you kill the engine as they drive away, pages you if anyone even touches it, etc., etc.
A bit pricey but very comprehensive

Has add on modules too like battery backup and perimeter/proximity alarm.

http://www.scorpioalarms.com

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Here is my take on "pager" alarms. If three big bad outlaws are lifting my bike into the back of a van, do I really want to run out and have a chat with them? Probably not. My continued health and well being is worth more than the bike. The pros aren't going to ride it away, so the engine cutoff won't come in to play. I could call the police of course, but these guys are quick & they will be long gone by the time the police respond. A simple inexpensive disk lock or U-lock will discourage most "joy ride" thefts. Nothing is going to stop the pro thief.

These pager alarms have been around for at least 20 years. If anyone here has actually averted a theft by using one, it would be interesting to hear your tale.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I agree with the posts that you won't stop a determined pro from taking your bike. That's what insurance is for. One suggestion I can make is don't leave ANYTHING on your Burgman that can be easily removed.
Years ago my wife and I parked our new Venture at a motel in Niagara Falls and parked it right outside our door. I left a nice VentureLine rack bag with all of our rain gear strapped securely to the rack on the traveltrunk. The next morning all that was left of the bag were half of the straps hanging from the rack. The straps had been simply cut with a knife.
Don

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree with the others that you will not stop the pros no mater what you do but I do not believe that our Burgman is not on any list of bikes that has been stolen. A good disk lock and some other kind of lock for the rear like a chain to some kind of a pole or fence and a cover should keep away most thieves.

Covering the bike is a good way to keep them away as well, if they can't see what it is or if there is anything that is easy to take off they might just move on to a easer target. Saw somewhere that they are also disk locks with build in sound if it is touch or moved, that also would deter most would be crooks.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Roger - you have v/g point/thought there! :idea: And I agree!

Too bad we can't purchace those exploding bags of dye that could trigger off in the event of tampering!

Sounds like good "inventor-izor" smart-gal-with-a-workshop, ponderder-izer/fiddle-izer!

ding dang blingitty....

fiddle-izer :?:

hmmmmmm. :lol:

ps - Getting a HUGE lightning storm here right now and I LOVE IT!

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
How about 100 ' extension cord attached to the metals parts and plugged into your motel room wall socket. :twisted:

Quick fried low life :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Someone needs to make a bike cover that looks like sh**, I mean a dirty, scrounge cover.
Something that looks so bad you don't even want to touch it. Note the key word here is "LOOKS" - sitting in a motel lot at night no one would want to steal what mite be under it for fear of catching something. :lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That's a good idea. Get a cover and paint on what looks like seagull squirt all over it. :wink:

·
Registered
136 Posts
stolen bikes

I rode Harleys for years and we'd toss a goldwing cover on our bikes. Motto in NZ is the best anti-theft device for a Harley is a goldwing cover.
Don't know about Burgmans though...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts