Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

How do you ride your bike, or, how do you drive your bikes?

• straight armed with weight against handlebars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sitting upright in neutral position

• leaning back, slouching with arms straight pulling against handlebars

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been attempting to find a comfortable riding position during my last several trips. I have not had much success. Either my wrists will hurt, my back will hurt, or my elbows hurt.

So, I thought I would ask the professionals how they ride?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I selected "B: Sitting upright in neutral position" because you didn't have a "D: All of the above."

95% of the time I ride sitting upright, with arms relaxed and almost but not quite straight. Unless I'm maneuvering, I have very little pressure between my hands and the bars. (The Throttle Rocker helps immensely in that.)

If I need to stretch on a long trip, though, I'll sometimes lean way back against the lower-back rest (AKA, the butt stop) so that my weight is lifted off the seat. I'll do that off and on for a few miles then go back to my normal position.

Also, when I'm riding a little harder than normal through twisties I'll lean forward a bit, in a semi-/pseudo-crotchrocket posture. It lowers my CG and shifts some weight to the front wheel, and I feel that I get better handling that way.

Mostly it's just a matter of finding what works for you, since we all have such wide-ranging body types. Because of your prior back injury you may not be able to find a position that's truly comfortable, but will have to choose among the lesser of evils.

HTH.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
You might try something like a throttle rocker, or cramp buster, to relax your grip. If it's sore wrists, try Vitiman "C", I take 1 a day and the soreness in the wrist is gone. Also an aftermarket windshield does relieve the wind pressure, allowing you to relax a bit.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Jim said:
...try Vitiman "C", I take 1 a day and the soreness in the wrist is gone. ...
I think that's excellent advice. Even for those who try, it's hard to get a well balanced diet in today's world.

1 multivitamin and 1 vitamin C per day (but not more except on the advice of a nutritionist, physician, or CAM practitioner), along with glucosamine/chondroitin is a good way to keep the aches and pains, along with the so-called "normal" effects of aging, at bay.

Also, lots of water to keep the old synovial membranes plump, and lots of gentle exercise (Tai Chi, Yoga, etc.) to keep things strong and stretchy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts