Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - Around the first week of April I'm going to be flying from Ohio to Florida to pick up my 650 - it's getting a trike kit put on. I'm going to be staying at a Comfort Suites on the way back. It just hit me that I should probably take my trike cover with me when it's parked at the hotel with some kind of bike lock.

So now I'm curious what other people do when they go on a multi day trip. Do you do anything special when staying at motels/hotels ??????

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
When traveling, I have tried to park where my scoot
can be seen from the front desk & office area.
Disc-brake lock in the front wheel, & weather cover
over the whole thing to 'hide' it. Also discourages
the birds from leaving a 'deposit' on my seat.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I ask if I can park the bike under the drive through in front, most will allow this. If not then I park directly in front of my room. I put my disk brake lock (it has an alarm too) on the bike and then cover with my heavy canvas, ratty old motorcycle cover. So far in over the last twenty years I have never had anyone disturb my bike. I really think my stained beat up ratty motorcycle cover has as much to do with my bike never being touched as anything else I have done. It looks ugly and I think that most thieves will just move on to where there is a nice bike left out that they can see rather than gamble on there being a nice bike or a ratty bike under the cover.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2012 650 Exec - can you recommend a disc brake lock?? - an alarm would be cool.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just an old MC tip, I park at the rear of any parking spot, so my tail can be seen. If you're too far forward, cars cannot see that the space is occupied and can whip into it, seeing your bike too late. Even if it's just a bump, down goes your bike.

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
While on my first Motorcycle trip in 1969, parked at a Motel in TN my bike was covered and the other couple with us was not, parked right outside our rooms, his bike had a lot of stuff stolen while mine was untouched. Only one time did we have a problem, came out of the Motel in the morning to find the cover on the ground and a piece of trim missing from the edge of the Gold Wing fairing, guess some one needed a gold painted trim piece.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't do road trips on my Burgman but I will take long trips on my other bikes. I always try to park the bike where I can see it from my room, preferably parked right outside the room's front door or back window. I always remove the side and top cases if removable or remove the contents of the cases if not removable. I always use a full cover and all my touring bikes have alarms on them which are turned on when I'm sleeping in the room. So far after 15 or so years of taking trips on bikes I've never had anything stolen or any of my bikes messed with. Crooks are opportunist and look for things of value that can quickly be grabbed. If you leave a $900.00 Garmin Zumo 590lm attached to the bike uncovered, don't be surprised if it's gone in the morning. But if you leave nothing in plain sight that's worth anything then you shouldn't have any thefts.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sure appreciate everybody's comments. Sounds like if I take everything in with me, put a disc lock on it, and cover it - the odds are with me. I plan on doing at least one "big" trip a year, so I'll get my procedure down.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
197 Posts
As others have mentioned, I always ask if I can park under the overhang in view of the front desk - you'll be surprised how often they don't mind. Most bad guys go after the accessories - I don't have any so it's not a concern for me. Disc lock is an absolute must.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Is the steering lock easy to break or something? I don't know how far you could possibly get with the steering locked!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I use the same advice as above when staying at hotels with my Burgman

But for the very same reason not to use a disc lock (bent rotor)

I use this -

http://www.grip-lock.com/

Holds the front brake in some and locks down the throttle

Get it at Amazon

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
besides the disk lock and cover, make sure you take everything you need out of the bike, if you got sidecases, take them away with you.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I put the kickstand down, and if it's a strange place, I may even take the key out....
There ya go...my style too....forgotten the key in the top case a couple of times.

I generally park outside the room or where the front desk is but never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Like others have mentioned I try to park right in front of my door or room window. If that is not possible I ask if I can park in the front entrance where the bike is visible from the desk. You may not be able to do that with a trike kit on the bike as it would be to wide and block to much of the entrance drive. I don't have a disc lock and I don't take the top box off the bike or cover the bike.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a 2012 650 Exec - can you recommend a disc brake lock?? - an alarm would be cool.
I am out of town today but will be back tomorrow. I can look at my disk lock with the alarm then and will get back to you then.

Doug

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
Dave, I use a disc lock on front with a bright orange lanyard to remind me the lock is in place. It only takes once to forget and you have a bent rotor. You can buy one form about any motorcycle shop. I have this one: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2767/i/kryptonite-kryptolok-dfs-10-disc-lock

And yes always pull in and stop short from the back so others can see your bike.
I use a Orange Lanyard that has loops on the ends, one end goes over the disc lock and then I stretch it up over the right handlebar "Throttle" grip. I can not ignore the lanyard and drive off with the disc lock still locked on the rotor. One like this will work, look at the bike picture to see how it's used: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2739/i/bully-disc-lock-reminder

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 52 Posts