Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit, for a fun bike to ride--this bike is just plain terrible to work on. How the hell do you get to the spark plug? I can change the plugs in about 30 minutes on my Hayabusa--yet on the Burgman, 4 hours later, all I have is a pile of plastic and 4000 plastic clips laying all over my garage floor. Seriously, there has to be an easy, efficient and logical way to change the plug right...right? If anyone can help me, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
605 Posts
A ton of plastic sitting on your shop floor and you still can't get at the plug. There are two ways to approach this. First and probably the easiest is to access the engine from under the seat:

1) open the seat and remove the top centre panel by removing two screws and wiggling it out.

2) You have to remove the air box. It is held on by two 10 mm bolts. One in the center and one at the back of the box. You have to unplug one electrical connection that crosses over the box and remove a connector's holder that is attached to the box

3) Watch for the PAIR hose beneath the box (this must come off) and the crankcase breather at the back(this is the tricky one that had me jumping up and down cursing CAD design).

Once this is removed you can access the plug very easily. BTW if you don't have hi mileage why bother changing the plug. These things last a lot longer than the manufacturer claims.

Re-assembly maybe a little more fiddly.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
ScootaBusa said:
I have to admit, for a fun bike to ride--this bike is just plain terrible to work on. How the hell do you get to the spark plug? I can change the plugs in about 30 minutes on my Hayabusa--yet on the Burgman, 4 hours later, all I have is a pile of plastic and 4000 plastic clips laying all over my garage floor. Seriously, there has to be an easy, efficient and logical way to change the plug right...right? If anyone can help me, thanks in advance!
Hi

I cannot see why you are having such difficulty you only need to remove 3 screws and one ikky piece of plastic, the little cover (called Frame Cover) immediately below the front of the seat. Item 12 in this picture:http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0350/frame_cover/frame_cover.jpg

You can then remove and replace spark plug.

The whole serial is no more than a 20 minute job.

Hope this is helpful to you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
NormanB said:
ScootaBusa said:
Hi

I cannot see why you are having such difficulty you only need to remove 3 screws and one ikky piece of plastic, the little cover (called Frame Cover) immediately below the front of the seat. Item 12 in this picture:http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0350/frame_cover/frame_cover.jpg

You can then remove and replace spark plug.

The whole serial is no more than a 20 minute job.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Just have a "feeling" he's gonna feel REAL bad now? :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doh! Doh! Doh! (banging self over head with copious plastic parts strewn across garage floor). Thanks for the help--I must admit, though the book calls for a plug change at 7500 miles, it's still running strong, same mileage, no missfires--so I may keep the plug in until I hit 10,000 miles. In the mean time, let me start putting the plastic puzzle parts together... :oops:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey do not worry, we all have to start somewhere :wink:

Consider this - you have just made an investment in time, in learning how to get your bike naked. You learned a lot taking it apart and you will probably learn a whole lot more putting it back together. But at the end of that process you will know your bike a whole lot better. Any future operations will be tackled without fear or that sense of trepidation.

When it is all back together AND you do not have parts left over you are entitled to feel real SMUG!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Did you check/adjust your valves while you had it naked? Thats the easy part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm...

Good point about the valves--as much as I stripped it down, I could probably port and polish the heads, but I will slip off the valve cover and check :p clearences. I did enjoy the cathartic experience of the teardown--did learn a lot--not sure about the goal of 100% parts used in putting it back together--I'm hoping for 90%. Anybody give me Vegas odds on the likelyhood?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
My guess is that you will have 2 plastic rivets left over. :wink:

I don't bet - I don't have the financial headroom to take gambling risk. 8)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Did you get all that plastic off without breaking any of the little black grommets/rivets? If so, you get 10 extra points for that!

Took me awhile to learn that the secret is not to push the plunger in but just a tad. Too much and it causes the underneath to expand and then if you can't get to it from the underside to pull it thru, then the alternative was to pry/rip it out with a screwdriver or somesuch.

Another tip regarding the airbox: pull the drain hose off...the one with a stopper in the end...and go to your local Lowes/home supply and get about a foot of similar hose to replace that. The new hose can protrude beneath the scoot so that it can be reached for drainage without pulling any plastic off. Secure the lower end with a nylon tie. Could prob find some suitable rubber hose as well..wouldn't matter what the composition is..its just that I had some of that tubing laying around.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oops...I guess I gave you the hard way to do it. Can you remove the side plastic to get at the spark plug?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All Good

All information is appreciated, though I think I will shell out the clams for the service manual. Going to stitch Frankenscoot back together this weekend, so, until then, enjoying riding my 1985 Yamaha Riva 180 around--it felt a little neglected since I bought the Burgie. Have all plastic fastner--undamaged--mostly from years of snapping them and having the pin launch into some remote corner of the suspension. Thanks again for everyones help :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts