Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a burgman 650 with no owners manual. It has sat for quite a while. We bought and installed a new battery yesterday. The power comes on w hen we turn the key, but we can't figure out how to start it and i can't find an owners manual online. Any help? Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
For me it's the left break lever that needs squeezed to start mine a 2006 model.

If it runs sluggishly like mine did I doubled the dose of Techron and it cleared it up.

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
For me it's the left break lever that needs squeezed to start mine a 2006 model.
Your bike should start with either brake lever pulled. If it is only starting when the left lever is pulled then you may have a brake light switch problem. You should check to see if the brake lights are coming on when you pull the right lever. If not you likely need to replace the switch on the brake lever.

·
Registered
201 Posts
1st-Check the side stand, it must be up.
2nd- dbl-check the kill switch.
3rd -Squeeze the brake levers.
Then press the start
Every now and then I forget one of the steps and am temporarily baffled.
On my first test ride, I stopped the bike and put down the side stand.
When I was ready to go again, the scooter would not start.
Someone had to remind me to retract the side stand.

I almost never intentionally move the kill switch
yet every now and then it gets into the kill position
Some owners will always leave the switch in the kill position as an additional theft protection. .

There was one time when I followed all the steps but the scooter would not start.
A squirt of WD40 under the throttle grip solved that problem. See another thread for details.

·
Registered
585 Posts
What can I say?

Attachments

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
These Resurrections are great, bringing up these old threads! That maclac only posted that ONE TIME! Did he ever get it running, I guess so! He never came back to say thanks or nothing! Oh well, some people!
Anyone can download the owners manuals and the service manuals for free easily now. Just look around.

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
These Resurrections are great, bringing up these old threads! That maclac only posted that ONE TIME! Did he ever get it running, I guess so! He never came back to say thanks or nothing! Oh well, some people!
Anyone can download the owners manuals and the service manuals for free easily now. Just look around.
true but some of us is computer illegitimate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me where the kill switch is, I inherited 400 and no manual but followed steps above to crank, it turns over after battery charging but will not start.

I appreciate your feedback

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
@Jdowne3 , If it turns over at all then the kill switch is not the issue. If the kill switch is set to "kill" then the engine will not turn over at all, the starter simply doesn't spin.
ALL motorcycle/scooter kill switches are in the same standard position. It is located on top of the right grip control cluster and is usually a flat red toggle switch on top the control head.
The kill switch is the red switch in this photo on top the control cluster for this 2019 model. It should be the same on your 400... though you don't say what YEAR you have (very important information to provide when asking about most things on any bike since there are sometimes significant differences, but not with this).
Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 1.16.21 PM.png

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Is that you on the right of your avatar photo:eek: or on the left:love:?
;);)

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
you say inherited, does that mean it hasn't been run in a while, ? possibly bad gas? pop it up on the center stand, give it a handful of throttle while cranking, it may take a couple of seconds, any fault indication codes? I'm thinking probably no codes, tell us the year , that helps diagnosis , and mileage, and your location if you want someone who is close to come over , stare at you while you try to crank it , and drink all your refreshing beverages :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts