Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help,

I just wondered if anyone could give me a tip for opening the ignition switch key hole shutter.

Bought the bike just a few days ago and am very pleased with it, but couldnt help having a good old poke about earlier this evening.

I have closed the ignition key shutter thing and now cant get it open. Yeh i know.

Thing is the manual says match the ignition key head to the square hole on the ignition switch and then depress the shutter release knob.

Only problem is, is the bike wasnt supplied with an original key, so my aftermarket key doesnt have the square head at the top of the key.

Any help to open it up would be appreciated, all the best.

Greetings from England.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Any key will close it but only the matching magnetically coded key will open it.
You can order a whole new shutter and it comes with coded key heads but kind of pricey.
You could also remove it all together and use your key without the shutter. Probably safer so it doesn't happen again.
Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Greetings from England
You did a NO! NO! Without the right key the shutter will not open. A new shutter assembly will be required that cost about $100 for the part. :(

It would be nice if you could take the number of the key and buy a replacement but you can't.

BUT if you have as 400 2005 like mine you can do the following. Disassemble the dash area just below the steering. If you open the long stowage box and look up there is a screw that keeps the bottom of the panel that covers the shutter (right in the center) and ignition in place, Remove that screw and you can pull the panel off. Now you can get to the shutter and ignition switch.

I removed the magnets from my shutter assembly and it can be opened and closed mechanically with little trouble.

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I guess the thing to do is be careful not to close the shutter if you do not have the correct key in the first place!!!

Anyway, if anyone finds themselves in the same position as me, heres what i did.

I now know that the key hole shutter is seperate to the Ignition switch and is held in place by one 8mm bolt on the top of the ignition switch barrel, if you can access the bolt to undo it then the shutter just comes off.

Leaving the ignition switch completely undisturbed.

I took off the front cover (black bit that says suzuki on it above the headlight), 4 screws , 2 in the middle, and 2 high up either side as you sit on the bike and face forward.

i then removed the screen, pretty straight forward. you may then be able to access the 8mm bolt to remove the shutter.(maybe if you have little fingers which sadly i dont)

I then removed the instrument binnacle that contains the clocks. All the screws are obvious, but beware of the 2 at the very front, under (effectively) the handlebars, i had to remove the handlebars, and some of the screws on the plastics on the inside, legshields of the bike. removal of handlebars and associated plastics again was pretty straightforward.

Once the shutter was off, i just drilled it out and put it back on.

I wouldnt try to drill it out in situ, because you will almost certainly damage the ignition key barrel.

hope this may be of help to someone.

Thanks again

Greetings from England.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Has anyone tried to insert a screw driver or something in the shutter as it is almost closed and then force it open? I was wondering if this would break the magnetic lock of the cover and make it just a non-locking cover.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
It is a magnetic devise but it is mechanically locked when it is closed. It will not open. As for drilling it I would rather remove the three magnets. Then it is 100% mechanical and anything will open it.

Anyway glad you got into it. The older scooters must be easier to get to the shutter than the new ones.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
donec said:
Has anyone tried to insert a screw driver or something in the shutter as it is almost closed and then force it open? I was wondering if this would break the magnetic lock of the cover and make it just a non-locking cover.
I was at a rally where someone closed the shutter on a 650 and the owner did not have the key head to open it with him. After studying the thing for a while the owner and another fellow figured out they could turn it just enough to expose a small crack on the right side. They stuck a screwdrive in the crack and twisted and the shutter popped open. So the answer to your question is yes it can be done. Don't expect to be able to lock the shutter closed after doing this though.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Buffalo said:
So the answer to your question is yes it can be done. Don't expect to be able to lock the shutter closed after doing this though.
Can it be closed but not locked after doing that?

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
On that bike it could as it broke the magnetic lock but I can't say for sure that will always be the case.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I was afraid that would be the case. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are in SE Asia, or Vietnam, you can call a locksmith or motorbike repair person and they will come add the magnets to your generic key. It cost me $3 USD ($50,000 dong + $10,000 dong tip) for parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
stick yer pinkie in the hole and then flip the bike over to the right it should unlock when it's up side down

Reactions: ducati14

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
not so much to lock it but to keep out dirt rain and dang bugs

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its something I have started to use since the increase in bike thefts here in the UK. Anything that stops thieves sticking a screwdriver in the lock has to be a plus.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought a spare key on e-bay that had the square head on top. It was delivered with three loose magnets that I had to mount by myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts