Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops:
ok - Winter is over and it is time to get back on the bike. Rolled it out to the driveway today and the battery is dead. Got the jumpers out and my husband wanted to jump it from his car. We got the covers off and the leads attached - but nothing. Couldn't get it to crank. It won't run with the seat up and we couldn't put the seat down because of the cable wires. He held the switch for the seat but we still didn't have any luck.

We moved this winter and the manual is somewhere in an unpacked box. <sigh>. What are we missing?

Thanks in advance
Pearlsmomma

·
Super Moderator
18,092 Posts
1st: do you have lights on the bike when the key is on, (with or without the cables on), you may have blown a fuse.
2nd: make sure the kill switch isn't on.

Be very carefull you don't put too much power to the cables, Don't have the vehicle running, who's giving the jump. You may fry something electrical.

You might want to check this thread.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4061

·
Registered
605 Posts
Take the battery out and charge it overnight on a trickle charger. I would be careful jump starting. Just make sure you don't mix up the polarities because if you send an "electrical" spike down through to the ECM (electronic control module) then poof!!! I don't know what the price of this is but proceed carefully.

It makes me wonder if there is an ignition cut off switch when the seat is in the upright position???

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Negative. Bike will run with seat open. However that pesky sidestand has tricked me a couple of times!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Pearlsmomma said:
ok - Winter is over and it is time to get back on the bike. Rolled it out to the driveway today and the battery is dead. Got the jumpers out and my husband wanted to jump it from his car. We got the covers off and the leads attached - but nothing. Couldn't get it to crank.
All the posts above sound right to me:

Make sure the car you are jumping from is NOT running.
(Trickle charging out of the bike would be better.)

Make sure the bike is on the center stand. (It won't start if the side stand is down.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Pearlsmomma said:
ok - Winter is over and it is time to get back on the bike. Rolled it out to the driveway today and the battery is dead. Got the jumpers out and my husband wanted to jump it from his car. We got the covers off and the leads attached - but nothing. Couldn't get it to crank. It won't run with the seat up and we couldn't put the seat down because of the cable wires. He held the switch for the seat but we still didn't have any luck.

We moved this winter and the manual is somewhere in an unpacked box. <sigh>. What are we missing?

Thanks in advance
Pearlsmomma

It is my understanding that you need to make sure that the vehicle you are jumping from is not running because the alternator on a cage puts out way too many amps for the bike when running. But also if I remember correctly your battery should have "some juice" already in it before you jump it because it should not be able to charge a "dead battery"
It could also do damage to your charging system, just like on a car if you replace an alternator and have a dead battery and jump it, it can knock out your new alternator. I learned this the hard way. I think you are better off to put your battery on a trickle charger and charge it up.

my two cents,
Steve

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Another side note!

If your bike was in storage all winter on the sidestand than you may want to check if the side stand activated micro switch is stuck. This will prevent the bike from starting as well as it will think the sidestand is still down.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To prevent this situation again, you may want to acquire a Batter Tender, Jr. This is a smart trickle charger. You can permanently install a small receptacle on your bike and plug in the charger anytime you are not riding, including all winter. The "smart" charger will maintain optimum battery charge and not overcharge as a standard trickle charger will do when left conncected. Your battery will always be ready. Pep Boys carries these, or check the Battery Tender website.
In the past, I used to keep a trickle charger connected to my bike battery and plugged it into the light bulb on my garage door opener. Every time I used the garage door, the battery charger came on for a minute or two with the light and went off with the light. Though less elegent than a smart charger, his worked well, but was not as good as the new technology.
Both these methods will work on any battery that is not in regular use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all fixed

ok - we followed suggestions and went and got a trickle charger ... been out riding this afternoon. Thanks !!

·
Registered
52 Posts
docta said:
Your battery will always be ready. Pep Boys carries these, or check the Battery Tender website.
I do the same thing. I got mine from Wal-Mart for $19.95 It has the wiring harnesses to connect to your battery and leave it and then when you want to hook up the charger you just plug it in.

Red

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
gruntled said:
I wonder if something like this would be of any value?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=44768
I use this method. Not this brand mind you but I use the solar powered panel. I found one at a garage sale 2 years ago for $3. I remove my battery over the winter and stick it in the window with the solar panel attached. Last year worked great . I just checked the voltage on the battery with a digital meter and I'm reading just over 13 volts. I don't forsee any problems again this year. It's worked well for me so far.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts