Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the outside possibility of getting a White and Black jacket to replace my current all black jacket. My scoot is white as is my current helmet.
White is considered a good visibility following Hi-Viz. Some safety organizations consider white to be better than simply yellow. All jackets I am considering have retro-reflective stripes.
I am actually leaning more toward Hi-Viz but the model jacket I like (TM Pivot) is getting hard to find in my size and is a discontinued model. The second choice (TM Intake Air 5.0) has some Hi-Viz but their White/Black model has more of the white than the Hi-Viz has of the Hi-Viz color.

I am expecting that this color would really get dingy fast and show more dirt than other colors (Correct me if wrong there?). Not so sure it would be all that different than Hi-Viz panels though. I know that most jackets with Hi-Viz panels do fade, at least the Hi-Viz parts, after a little time.
But wondering for those who have a jacket of this color... How hard is it to clean and how do you go about it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
There may be a label with laundering instructions.
If the armor pads are removable, take them out before washing.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
all depends on what gets on it, and how, blood is notoriously hard to clean off white textured materials, if it's from bullet holes acquired while wearing the jacket,, you may need some professional help.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Some technical info in case it’s helpful:

Fluorescent colours will return more light to the observer than plain white - so they are better in low light conditions.

This is because white only reflects the visible light that hits it, fluoro reflects more visible light than hits it (because it converts uv light to visible wavelength, hence the “glow” in such colours).

Apart from looking grubby, it’s important for hi—viz of any colour to be clean to be properly effective.
I have a fluoro airvest and it’s a bit of a pain to keep clean. usually when I clean my helmet liner I use the same baby shampoo on it and scrub with a softish nail brus.

Don’t use ordinary detergent on waterproof jackets. The wetting agents encourage fibres to absorb water in order to get them clean; exactly the opposite of what the jacket is for, so it destroys the waterproofing. Detergents for waterproofed “performance” clothing will help keep the water out.
Plus clean performance fabrics work better, dirt and gunk help hold/transmit water.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update.
I did get a good price through "Buy on Google" for a Tourmaster Pivot jacket in Hi-Viz. Decided I liked the idea of the Hi-Viz more than trying to match with my Burgman 650. Besides, now there is significant contrast with having white and black and Hi-Viz all in one place when I ride.
1581887498174.png

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I want to look cool I wear my solid black 40 year old Tour Rider jacket. Heavy nylon fabric with enough lining for cool weather yet I rarely overheat in it.
Visibility? You bet! It's jet black in daytime, but shine a headlight on it at night and it reflects pure blinding white. I've never been able to find this reflective material in the 40 years since I got this. Let me know if you find it- it's great! I see someone on ebay is selling one (I'll paste his picture here); but he doesn't realize that it is a reflecting material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts