Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

How did you find out about Burgmans. ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We seem to have a ride that few folks know about. So I was wondering how you found out about Burgman Scooters?
I found this site & checked it for a couple of weeks before deciding to buy.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My group of friends ride weekly through the mountains. We were riding BMWs and Harleys. One BMW riding friend bought a 05 650 in early spring and rode it on most of our rides telling us how good it was and he would rather have it than his BMW. He tried to get me to ride all summer and I finally relented on a Wednesday in October. After I rode it across the Back of the Dragon, I bought a 400 on Thursday (just happened to be a good one within 75 miles of me). Rode it 4,000+ and it was hit in the rear and totaled on July 1st. I then bought a 650. My friend with a Harley bought a 650 late in the fall and looks forward to spring.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Went to buy a Silverwing after talking them up during my motorcycle safety course, found the three I had my eye on all sold to other people in the same class. Googled for something 'similar' and found something much better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Almost six years ago I was sitting in a pizza place with some co-workers and was discussing that my son wanted a scooter (a Piaggio MP3 to be exact). When a total stranger came up and stated that if he wanted a scooter he should check out "Bergmans". I was curious so I did a search on "Bergman" only to find out it was actually "Burgman" and that lead to this site. Turns out my son wasn't interested...but I was, and the rest, as they say, was history. I bought a new 08 Exec on August 8th 2008 and have enjoyed riding it virtually every day since. :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Until my back got so bad I could no longer ride my Harley I had little interest in scooters. I wish I'd have investigated maxi-scooters sooner. Its unreal how much more I use the Burgman (and occasionally the Majesty) over what I would use the Harley. It was a full dress Electra Glide Ultra. Nice bike but not practical for day to day use.

I bought the Majesty thinking it would do me just fine. And it would have been just fine - but that ****!#% salesman at a local Yamaha dealer offered me a ride on a near mint 650 - it was on consignment - I made them an offer and the owner took it - and the rest is history! There is nothing to compare between the Majesty and the Burgman. And for that matter the Silverwing. The SW has better power than the Majesty but is no better in windy conditions and the SW has a bit more room. Both are eclipsed by the Burgman in handling - wind/rain protection - power - smoothness - and of course that lovely electronic transmission.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As for me, I saw them at the International Bike Show in Michigan 2006 or 7. Liked the 400 better than the 650. Then riding on the freeway, a 400 was ahead so I caught up with him and was asking about the scooter. When I sold my E.G. a 2008 650 Exec was for sale,so I bought that. Had for a couple years, bought a regular bike, had for a year. Sold it and bought the 400. Happy with it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It was 2006, and I was riding my 13 year old Honda Helix into work one Saturday and a Suzuki Burgman passed me by on the freeway. I had never seen such a beautiful bike in all my life. Never heard of Burgmans. And the way it passed me by doing 75 mph told me it would more than beat the Helixs performance (which had been bothering me for a while). I'd been wanting to upgrade and had long since given up on MCs. I thought the helix was the biggest scooters got, but I was SO wrong.

Well don't cha know there's a Suzuki dealership down the street from my work, so I pulled into it instead of work. They had a brand new blue '07 400 on the showroom floor and it was love at second sight. Sat on it, haggled a bit and went into work. Did some research, read some articles and I was convinced. This was the bike for me.

Called the wife, worked out the money and bought it that day. There were no used ones as it was the brand new model. Rode it home that afternoon and it has been a love affair ever since. BY FAR, the best material possession I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I first heard about the 650 Executive when a guy on the iPCRC (the Honda Pacific Coast Riders Club) started talking about he was going to buy one back in 2005 or 2006 (they had just been announced for a 2006 model year release). He did buy it and sold his Pacific Coast. I went to the dealership and looked myself but thought they cost too much. Been following them since.

This past spring I had a medical problem that I thought was going to keep me from riding a conventional motorcycle for good (arthritis in my hands, had trouble pulling the clutch). I had a 2001 Honda Helix I was riding at the time (bought it almost new in 2003) but two-up it was less than pleasing for me or my wife. This past spring I saw what is now my Burgman on my local Suzuki dealers floor. After going home and trying to find one close by cheaper I returned to the dealer and haggled. We decided on a price, I went to the back and withdrew the money from savings and the Burgman came home. I do love this bike.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Went' and Got One after Being Ripped Off for two CHINA scooters that did not last a Year! Purchased Suzuki from local Suzuki dealers floor Bell flower Motor Sports of CA at a cost of $5800 April 5 ,2007 Purchased Date.

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Dad always said, "buy it right or buy it twice"...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Your dad makes perfect sense! But a Scam is a Scam!! What people do now is erase all the China and make Look U.S.A Such as Assembled Here, is just a term as Made in China, He He

the first one was a Geely, the website did a good job on removing the Geely name.

Second bike Vento, Looks like somebody, old chap has been using a Soldering Iron Melting away that Made in China logo..

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was a regular on a Volusiariders.com (Boulevard C50 site) and one of the members mentioned transitioning from a Burgman.

I went the other way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My uncle was a long time biker - mostly touring bikes and he put the miles on them. When he got into his seventies the weight of the big bikes, changing gears etc. just became bothersome so he got a Burgman 400. A couple of summers ago he got up one morning and decided to come visit me so jumped on the Burgman and arrived in my driveway for dinner - 300 mile trip, mostly on four lane. Stayed overnight and went home the next day. He couldn't say enough good about that 400. He always rode alone and said he kept it 75-80mph with no problem. So, last year when I too was getting a little tired of shifting gears and the overall comfort level of my Intruder
my first look was at a Burgman and after researching it thoroughly and not really finding anything negative it was pretty much a slam-dunk. I opted for the 650 because my wife does like to ride with me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Several years ago I went on a two day round trip ride with a group of other riders from the Boise area to Lewiston and back taking one way up and another back. Part of the route was very twisty (loved it!) and some of it would allow you to shoot up to 100 mph on occasion. Great ride.

Two of the bikes along on the trip were 650 Burgmans. One was a guy that had a leg disability and walked with a cane so foot controls were out for him. Anyway, back then I was riding my 2000 BMW R1100RT. A fellow on his R1100RS and I starting having some real fun in some of the twisty sections and after a good half hour or so of (almost!) knee dragging we pulled over to let the other riders catch up. And there right behind us was that guy on the Burgman 650! A bigger grin on his face could not have been more possible or a more astonished look on ours I don't think. He could hustle the Burgman!

Anyway, my thoughts of scooter ownership changed forever on that day. I don't think that I will ever try to ride it like the guy with the cane did, but it is nice to know that I could if I wanted to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
walked into a dealer to check out a kymco after finding out i could be on two wheels and not shift gears...saw the bike sittign out front and thought that is a sharp ride...took it home a few days later. no regrets at all!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I hadn't ridden in many years and decided to investigate big scooters for fun and economical transportation. Before I had gotten vary far into my investigations, my wife and I decided to head down to the local MC dealership (wasn't a Suzi dealer, either) to just check out what the maxi's were like. The only thing on the lot was a 2009 400 with 185 miles on it (this was in early 2012) which, they were asking $3200 for. That sounded good and I quickly did some additional research. I couldn't get to the bank fast enough! I've now put about 22k miles on her.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I finally got the "bug" again after being convinced it was gone forever. The "bug" i refer to is the need to ride, and after 14 years I was sure it would never return, but it did except after 3 hospital stays from motorbike crashes this time I decided a scooter was the way to go and since they had gotten so big, they are like motorbikes anyway. My attitude is go big or go home so I got the 650. The first 650 I had died at 30,000 miles even though I looked after it which is proof that you should never buy the first generation of anything. Now I have an '08 Executive which is much better than my '03 was.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I stumbled on my 2008 400 in Craigslist. Didn't know a thing about scooters much less Burgman's. Hadn't ridden in over 30 years. Took a $2000 chance.
Best stumble ever!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just wanted to add something different that I have never owned or ridden before. Inquired about them at some group rides when one would show up from time to time. Looked for a website and this one came up, read a lot of post and got a good general idea of the 650 Burgman. After three or four months one appeared on Craigslist, low mileage, and in excellent condition, I purchase it. Can't say it will be my only bike/scooter that I will ever own, but it is a fun ride and I think for the time being I will keep it with the others. At 68 I still enjoy my dual sport bikes, but the Burgman is a fun around town ride. Not to take anything away for the Burgman, I think I would like to try the new Honda Integra if it ever comes to the U.S. I would like to say that the 650 Burgman is much better then I thought it would be.

John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Back in 1971, being at the tender age of 18 and in my last year of high school, a mishap occurred shortly after purchasing a Yamaha 250 (against my parents wishes) that put me in the hospital for 2 weeks. After that, I never thought about 2-wheelers again.

I retired back in 2007 and after some time, I discovered that most of my driving was only around town for small odds and ends using my 10mpg Ford Super Duty truck. I started to see some scooters of various sizes showing up around my area and got interested.

I started off with buying a 2012 Yamaha Zuma 50cc, since Virginia only required a helmet and enough stupidity to ride on the roads anywhere in the Commonweath with one of those. I ws only going to use it for around town driving, since the max speed limit was 35mph. Next thing I know, I started trying to go places outside of town that I had no business being at on such a small machine and the riding bug had hit me, so I decided that I must take the next step up and get something larger and safer, But where to start? :confused:

I then recalled when shopping for the Zuma, I saw two Burgmans in the MC dealership and recalled how elegant-looking they were, so I started researching scooters, not wanting to deal with clutches and gear-shifting at my age. Of course, my local dealer had so such machines left so on went the online and dealer searches in my locality, The Burgman still stood out in my mind as the one I liked most and I was impressed by the reviews and stats over the other brands.

My search finally turned up a new 2012 400 in May last year at a dealership in West Virginia that had that one left and was trying to get rid of it at a reduced price, which was very hard to reject. I looked at it and loved that look and the way it felt sitting on it.

Back in 2 days with my trailer and carted it home. Been enjoying it ever since and been traveling around the DC/VA/MD, and WV area all over. :thumbright:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts