Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no shame in admitting that I "nicked" this thread from another forum as I found it quite informative and a little amusing.
It all started when I was 12 with an old Vespa 125 "Field Bike" in 1964.
Then at 16 first road bike was a BSA Bantam D14/4 I can't remember the dates forthe rest but here goes.
BSA C15, Suzuki B120P, EX-Plod BSA Lightning, Suzuki TS185, Honda CB 750, Yamaha 350LC X's 3, Yamaha 350 YPVS X's 2, Honda 600 Hornet, Yamaha XJ 900, Honda VFR 750 then 2 X's 800's, another Hornet, HondaST1100 Pan, BMW R1100RT, Yamaha Fazer, Honda ST1300 Pan, Yamaha FJ1200, BMW R1150RT, Honda CB1300, Suzuki Burgman 400 X's 4, Triumph Bonneville X's 4, Honda SH300, Honda Lead, Vespa GT200, Yamaha Majesty 125, Suzuki GXF 650, Harley Davidson 1600 Street Gluide(tha t was a very low point), Vespa 125 (geared) the list is not in "Chronological" order but I am currently running a 2010 Burgman 400 and in the round it is probably a better all rounder than any of the above especially in the enviroment that we currently live.

How did you get there.

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
THIS IS MY STORY AND I AM STICKING WITH IT.!!!! I test drove a Burgman 400 and the whole time - the smile never left my face!!! Simple as that! :lol:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Wow a BSA Bantam. I had on back in the day (very distant day).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
First bike bought in 1995, a 79 Harley Shovelhead, I was 41 then. What a mistake. Didn't listen to friends telling me "buy a little Ninja". Glad to see it leave my driveway! [New Harleys just haven't fallen apart YET.] Just HAD to have a stupid Harley.
Second bike 1997 Honda Shadow, in 1999, new, an excellent machine. Nearly zero maintenance. Of course Honda discontinued the 1100 motor with its hydraulic valves for the crappy 1300 series. Sold in 2008
Third bike 2005 Concours, nothing like a 4-cyl. Japanese bike. Good touring bike but top-heavy and heavy in general. Sold in 2008 when I moved. Wow it was fast.

Bike-less for 4 years....

Was looking for a "medium" sized bike, Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500, maybe a KLR650, scooters were not on my short list originally.

Test-rode a Burger 650 and 400. Found the 400 in Lower Alabama, had a free ride down from OH anyway, so bought it. Still have the grin :D Hope this Burger lasts as long as my 97 Saturn (bought new and still running :) ) I am an over-maintainter anyway.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Had a few bikes in my youth but hadn't been on a bike of any sort for nearly 30 years. Ended up buying a bargain 6 week old 125 Honda Pantheon scooter for about half the new price off eBay six years ago - great commuter bike. Rode it for a while and took my bike test. Passed that and then after a while I traded up to a Honda SH300i. Just over a year ago a mate of mine bought a Burgman 650. I had a go on it and have to have one. Kept the SH300i which is great for commuting and use the Burg at weekends when the weather is fine. I prefer scooters over bikes for the ease of use, storage and weather protection. :thumbup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Lets see - 47 years ago - (1965) after getting back from a West Pac cruise (USN) I got tired of walking around Long Beach Ca. so a buddy and I rented a couple of Honda 90s for the day. I was hooked! I took a look at a 63(?) Yamaha 80 they had for sale. After some haggling I ended up buying it (forget the price). I rode that thing everywhere. It ran pretty good until the rotary valve broke - a common problem with them. I bought a new one and put it in. I sold it just before we headed out for another cruise.

I ended up buying a new Yamaha 90 twin for $190!!!! (Japanese domestic version of the 100 twin export - and yes that price was no mistake!) in Japan during that cruise and brought it back on the ship with the understanding that if it got in the way of operations it'd be chucked overboard. Thankfully we weren't called to some hotspot - got it back to Long Beach just fine. It was a great little bike and could cruise on the freeways at 60 pretty good. I stayed in the slow lane. I kept that until I was discharged - selling it a few days before heading home. I also had a 64(?) BSA 441 briefly - great machine but needed constant maintenance - it was pretty beat when I got it.

From there: New 1968 Honda CB350 ---- Kawasaki 500 H1 triple - 1965 Matchless (worst bike I ever owned!) --- 1968 Triumph T120 Bonneville that I rode for several years (sigh - still in love with that bike!) 1962 Triumph Thunderbird - a beautiful bike but it vibrated a lot!
-- 4 years hiatus from motorcycles - In 1980 I bought an almost new 1977 Yamaha 750 triple that I rode for 4-5 years - then to a very low mileage 1982 Yamaha XV920, rode this for many trouble-free years - great riding bike with excellent handling, almost as good as the two 650 Triumphs ---- 1990 Harley Fat Boy - rode it for 7 years and picked up a 1995 Harley Ultra with sidecar in the meantime - found myself riding the Ultra almost exclusively and let the Fat Boy sit in the garage for 2 years before I could part with it. Rode the 95 Ultra up to 2005 and sold it to a friend and bought a 2001 Harley Ultra and rode it to Sturgis that year. Been to Sturgis twice - one time too many!

I sold the 2001 Ultra in March and bought a Yamaha Majesty 400. I made the mistake of taking a dealer up on the offer to test ride a 650 Burgman they had on consignment. Oops! Made the dealer an offer - and bought the Burgman a few weeks later - could not get that test ride out of my mind. The Majesty is a good little scooter - trouble is - its little!

I'm sure I owned a few bikes that I've forgotten about. I had some that I bought and sold in the same week and can't remember what they were. In my 47 years of riding I've had one 4 year gap that I didn't own a bike of some kind. The oldest bike I've owned was a 1954 BSA 650. I never got to ride it - I bought it to restore it but never got around to it so I sold it after a year of putzing around with it. It did run but needed work on the front end and rear suspension - gas tank was shot - etc etc. I kinda wish I still had that. It'd be pretty cool to have it now.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
After too many bikes to remember and one or two scooters but they were a long time back
my daughter was given a twist n go, I rode it and thought this is handy and fun, so part ex'd
my Versys in for the 400 but kept my Morini could not part with that.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
first bike was a honda metropolitan, I was 48, it was stolen from me God bless that thief, I had been researching bikes and was on this site, so I bought my 400 as soon as the metropolitan was stolen (that weekend when I could arrange transportation to go pick it up )

·
Registered
338 Posts
Interesting---I started with Travis Bike Motor, purchased over 75 new bikes/scooters, most expensive=new HD factory sidecar outfit, lots of Japanese bikes/scooters,Daelim, 4 Vespas,TMAX,SilverWing 600, 4 Helix, ReFlex, Since I have been around a while HD 45 WLA-----ride daily and always have---on second Burgman, past 40 years always purchase new for my use as I soon turn them into used----current annual mileage 20-40,000 miles, no longer have to commute. Don't like trailer bikers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I injured my neck a little over a year and a half ago and it manifested itself as extreme pain in my left arm when squeezing. That pretty well eliminated using a clutch on a motorcycle. I was pretty bummed because i've been riding motorcycles since 1969 and didn't want to give it up.
I didn't want to lose a whole summer of riding and at the time I was commuting through about 13 miles each way of stop and go traffic. I looked at the options and concluded the 400 Burgman was probably the best bet.
As it turned out the Burgman worked quite well and I came to enjoy riding it a lot. Fortunately the neck healed up and I went back to riding my motorcycles but decided to keep the Burgman because it is so useful.

·
Registered
492 Posts
cor how many some of you guys have ridden
BSA C10, C11, C15
Velocettes Mac,MSS, Venom, Venom Clubman
Raleigh Mopeds
lambrettas 125 ,150
Vespa 90 and 150
Bella scooters
Norton Dominator
Triumph speed twin and tiger cub
Grieves 90
Honda C90, 250 dream
The burgie i saw when looking for a step through bike and fell in love with it on sight.
The bikes reflect my motorbiking fortunes as a young man as i tried out different crazes and as money came and went! :D

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
This is more than a bit verbose, however the question put forth is "How did you arrive at your Burgman?"

I have ridden since I was 12, starting with 1xx cc dirt bikes, and have owned too many to list since then. In early 2011 I had an opportunity to ride a neighbor's Yamaha Majesty 400 and despite my having been a "big iron" guy for years found that my arthritic old body liked not having to horse 800 lbs around, so I started looking at maxi-scooters: finding there was no shortage of them here in NE Florida.

I looked at a 2003 Burgman 650 with 43k miles, clean but with a very feminine looking pinstripe theme, that "dieseled" so badly I thought it had no rod bearings left (at the time I did not know of the "dieseling" issue). Fortunately the dealer would not go any lower than $3200 or I might have naively ended up owning the not-to-far-away from being a major project POS;

Next was an '09 Aprilia 500 with 10k on the clock. Nice and clean, and only $3800 because they have low resale value here in the States due to parts availability. I halfheartedly offered $3000 which the dealer (a used bile shop) rejected--just as well as I didn't really want it unless it would be a steal;

Then came a 2008 Majesty 400, 8k miles local private sale (not my neighbor's). They were asking $3500 but I sensed they were motivated sellers; a younger fellow and his wife not yet done moving into a new condo, with a 6 month or so babe in arms. I am sure I could have picked it up for less than $3 grand, however having already seen a Burgman 400 the in-your-face "pogo-stick" rear suspension was a turn off;

A local scooter sales/rental, mostly tourist rentals, shop had a new "left over" 2010 Kymco 500 at a very attractive price. However comparing it to the Burgmans I had seen I found it to be quite a bit larger and a bit chunky. Not unattractive, but sort of like the nice looking "big boned" girl in high school that led the softball team. Walked away from this one too.

Exploring several Craigslist offerings for 400 Burgmans resulted in no response, one fellow did get back to me but was "too busy to show the bike right now" and promised to call me when he had time (I did not hold my breath). Another that I did go and see revealed that the seller and I have widely divergent opinions of what constitutes "excellent condition";

Craigslist also led to the local Kawasaki dealer's listing of another 2008 Majesty "in great condition" for $3300. Less than 1/2 mile away I walked up there to have a look to find yet another "failure to communicate". First I could not find it anywhere on the lot. Asking, I was told it was "in the back" and sure enough there it was; sandwiched in amongst a bunch of trade-ins in various stages of decay, and covered with water stained and streaked dust from having been out "in the back" for who knows how long. Feigning interest I asked about the price, $3500 said the salesman. When I pointed out it was advertised on Craigslist for $3300 I learned that that had been an error and that the price was $3500 firm--so much for that one, but I didn't really want a Majesty anyway;

Having been worn down by all of this I put the recon project on hold for a month or so, and then one day found an '03 400 with 12.3k miles on Craigslist. Located in Port Orange, some 60 miles South of here. It was claimed to be one-owner, always garaged, in "like new" condition and "recently serviced" to boot. Owned by an "older gentleman" (actually he was 5 to 7 years younger than me)--asking $2500.

He called me withing 30 minutes of my email, and we set off for Port Orange late on a Friday afternoon with 20 $100 bills in hand. The scoot was in like new cosmetic condition, and recently serviced (he had the receipt), however it had a subtle odd ticking, ratcheting, sort of noise in the rear end when rolling it about--which the seller pointed out, He said the dealership could not identify the problem and he had been told to not worry about it.

I offered $1800, he said "OK", and I got ready to ride it home--but then the afternoon storms rolled in and we had to bail on that idea and go back the next morning. I rode it home, 50 miles on I-95 at 70-75 mph, and it ran like a champ.

The ticking turned out to be hardened grease in that inner roller bearing of the driven pulley/clutch assembly. There was no damaged to the shaft. I replaced the bearing, however it probably could have been cleaned in situ and regreased--something I would likely have done in my younger/poorer days. That was the only immediate problem. I did flush and replace all fluids as is my practice with any "new" used vehicle, this even if the dealer/previous owner swears on a stack of receipts that it had all just been done.

So there it is, that's all I have to say about that...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As a commuter, durability, simplicity and maintenance inline with my abilities was paramount in my purchase decision. I was riding a C50 with 62K on the clock and it was near time to pull the engine, replace the timing chains, maybe do the rings and look at the top end. Since this is my commter vehicle I couldn't tolerate a lot of downtime and to get this work done at a dealer is $1500-$2500. A 'vintage' C50 with lower miles wouldn't have been a lot more and would have probably been my preferred path if I was simply looking to keep on commuting.

But after 3 years and 50K miles of riding a cruiser, I had been looking for something with different handling (a little lighter in the turns, a little more fun to ride). I was thinking a weestrom or other dualie. I considered a Concours, or Beemer. Never even considered a scooter. No way that would fit in with my personal rider image. Confirmed this impression by going to look at Vespas and I just couldn't see myself riding a Vespa to work. Then I stumbled on the Burgman scooters. Here was a scooter with presence (and a stupid amount of storage built in). I was figuring I'd need at least a 650 for my tastes and riding style and was looking at them pretty seriously. Then I ran across some of the maintenance threads surrounding them as well as some of the drivability descriptions (mostly their engine braking characteristic) and it just sounded like I was settingmy self up for more than I was willing to take on. Then I ran across this forum (specifically Chris {Daboo}) and read some of the 400 threads and thought this could be a possiblity.

It seemed like, since I'll be putting about 18K per year on the bike, that I was really looking for a post 2007 AN400. And they are in pretty short supply in my neigborhood. Lots of 650's around a couple of pre 2007 400's and some NOS 2011's. I did, however, find a ridiculously low mileage 2011 400 ABS at a nearby dealer that would sell as used.

So I took a 5 minute test ride on one visit, to the dealer's dismay. He expected me to be gone much longer and figured this deal was not going to 'get done'. But in reality, I had never ridden a scooter and just wanted to be sure it was not a toy; would serve my purpose and not make me more likely to be roadkill like the 50cc, 35 mph varieties I see all around here. Having decided that it could fulfill my needs, I went back the next day to nail down a price and see what my aging C50 ride would fetch. It was enough and now I'm a 4 day veteran scootster. And I love the 400. It's agility relative to the sled I was riding is beyond compare. The refined acceleration from the CVT and the peace and quiet make it a totally different and pleasant riding experience.

For me, an AN400 is the right tool for the job. And waaaay too much fun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm such a two wheel noob: Three years ago, bought an electric bicycle (no license at all at the time). Two years ago, bought a 50 CC BWS (Beginners license required). Last year, bought the B400 (Probationary license required). I was going to buy a Silverwing, but I oversold it to everyone in my Class 6 (motorcycle) course and they ran out and bought them all up before I could. So I wandered the internet, came here and was sold on the Burgman. Best string of bad luck I ever had.

Was going to 'upgrade' to 650 this year, but the 400 is so sweet that I'm keeping it until/unless it needs some major repairs. Then I'll think about something bigger/quicker.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I started "scooting" with a Kymco Bet&Win 250. It was actually quite by accident. My daughter was coming home from her first year at college soon and would be needing a car to get to her summer job. With two cars and three drivers, I could see how we would be scheduling the vehicles by the minute, not the hour.

A car was the first idea, but then I thought there is probably a Murphy's Law out there somewhere that says the car you need to drive, is always the one that is blocked by another. Besides, she was only home for 3 months...what do I do with an extra car? Ahh! I'll buy one of those 50cc scooters for about $500 and just travel the back road to work. It'll work fine.

Got to a dealer and my jaw dropped at the prices they wanted for a 50 cc scooter. So I decided to get something that would fit for all my transportation needs and do like I did in England, and ride it all year long. I was involved in a homeless ministry in downtown Seattle, the jail and the prison. If I could travel on the freeway, I'd be able to do all three...and get to work. I asked the salesman, what the minimum engine size would be to travel on the freeway. He said 250cc's. The price for that wasn't much more than for the 50cc bike. In the end, I found a deal on the leftover Kymco.

I loved the Kymco, but didn't love the seat or suspension. It handled somewhat like a sport bike, with little to no compliance to the suspension. And the seat was true to Kymco's reputation...hard and uncomfortable. I wouldn't sell it, but had started looking for what I'd replace it with if it was wrecked, stolen, or died. It seemed like the 400 cc range was about perfect. Just marginally larger in engine size for more power on the freeway, yet not so large you lost the great gas mileage. But it seemed like I'd be keeping that bike for a long long time.

Then my boss told me I'd be transferring to another work location in Seattle. Instead of my 15-20 minute 9.5 mile commute each day, I'd be working 30 miles away. Seattle's freeways are lousy. Studded snow tires eat away the concrete and asphalt. Potholes abound. And the seismic activity and frost heaves can make the joints between sections of concrete so jarring they'll toss you in the air. This was not a ride for a Kymco with a buckboard suspension.

So I already knew the two bikes on my short list were a Yamaha Majesty and a Suzuki Burgman in that order. The Majesty was rated as the number 1 maxi-scooter in that size, with the Burgman 400 in second place. I called both dealers. The salesmen both said they'd check on what they had and call me back. The Yamaha salesman never called back. The Suzuki salesman did. I went to see it that night...and fell in love.

The salesman handed me the keys and told me to take it out for as long as I wanted. I loved everything about the bike...especially the color. But...the CVT vibration was horrible. I wondered if there was a defect in the bike, or if this was just the way they were all designed. I asked to ride the other one they had in silver in the parking lot just to see if it was that way too, or not. It was. And then I did a last minute ride on the blue 2007 and found it had smoothed out overnight from the test ride.

Months later, I had a chance to see a Majesty in person...and I knew I'd made the right decision. The Majesty was better (at least in magazine reviews) than the older 400, but the redesigned Burgman 400 in 2007 had upped the ante.

@48,500 miles later in April 2011, I was bored one day at work. I clicked on a search engine called Search Tempest and did a search on Suzuki Burgmans. One link came up for "Suzuki Blowout Sale" at a dealership in Port Angeles. I clicked on it out of boredom. There was a long list of motorcycles with one that caught my eye. It read something like "Suzuki Burgman 400, 2008, New, Black...$3995". I read that a couple times trying to figure out the catch. Finally, I called the dealership and asked what additional fees there were. He said there were none. Just tax and license. I thought about it for a couple hours, telling myself how crazy and stupid I was. Most people sell their old motorcycle and buy something different. I was going to sell my Burgman 400 that was running perfectly well....and buy another? Was this making any sense at all?

Finally, I called the salesman back up and said I'd take the bike. A few weeks later, I picked it up. True to his word, it was new. There was one mile on the odometer from when they test rode it. It was a left over 2008 that had been in a crate in Japan untouched. I looked at the prices on the 2011's and the price for a new 2011 would be double what I paid after paying transportation and assembly. So it basically cost me a few hundred dollars to get a bike with 49,000 less miles.

I did a search using Search Tempest for months after that looking for others that Suzuki was dumping in 2011. It looks like I got the last leftover 400 in the entire Idaho, Washington, Oregon area.

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
In 1969, my first bike was a Sears (Gilera) 124? single. Sold it when I left Puerto Rico in '72. Bikeless until 1997. Then it began :shock: . Virago 535, Virago 750, Virago 1100, Honda ACE 1100 Tourer, Honda Spirit 1100, another Virago 1100, another Spirit 1100, Valkyrie, Honda 750 ACE Deluxe, another 1100 Spirit, Kaw Vulcan 1500 Classic, a used Kaw Vulcan 1500 Classic, a '98 Honda 750 Magna, 2010 Harley Street Glide Trike (back surgery went bad last year), and finally 2011 Burgman 400 bought last May, when I realized I couldn't get my leg over the tour pack of the trike, and needed to be able to "step through" to get on any bike if I wanted to continue riding.

Don't have many miles on the Burgman yet (less than 1000), but if the epidural injection in my lower back last Tuesday keeps working, I'm gonna be having a lot of fun :D !

My first ever scooter, and I'm really having a great time on it...can take it anywhere (according to most enthusiasts), and just simply have fun riding it. After all the cruisers with their different maintenance routines, having a bike that I basically just have to change the oil/filter on is a real pleasant surprise.

In the mid-50's, there was this kid a few blocks away that had a Cushman scooter, and although I was only 8 years old at the time, I just knew that some day I'd own a bike similar to his. And so in a very roundabout way I came to the Burgman, and am happy/grateful that I did.

--Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
50 years ago it was an Allstate moped and a bunch o bikes since, all shapes and sizes. We bought my wife a 2012 Burgman 400 a few months ago. I had to give it back so now I have a 2011 Burgman 400. We have 6 scooters and 1 V-Strom and the Burgies are currently getting most of the attention.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
1st bike was a new Yamaha Radian 600 (5 yrs.), a great starter, limited wind protection and no carrying capacity; 2nd bike was a gently used ST1100 (4 yrs.) which I referred to as my gentleman's express - a fine machine to cover long distances but limited wind protection for my pillion; #3 was a new 2003 GL1800 Goldwing (5 yrs.), a fantastic tourer (50,000 mi. across the continent, many National Parks), etc. but really only suitable for touring; fixed pegs = lower back pain; 1,200 lbs. loaded @ 5' 6"/70 yrs. of age = I'm going to drop it sooner or... #4 tried a 250cc Honda Reflex (2 weeks) but really too small for my needs; #5 Honda Silverwing (3 months) a fine scoot until you try a 650 Burgie (no comparison). #6 a 2009 650 Burgie Exec.(3 yrs. now), a very comfortable, useful machine, ideally suited to the mature rider, perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I started in 1980 with a new Vespa P200E. After 10,000 miles and challenges with potholes in Pennsylvania, I traded it in on a new 1981 Yamaha 650 Special II. I kept that bike until 1986. I then moved to New York and the wife did not want me riding a motorcycle. We moved to Minnesota in 1990. I found a new 1989 Honda PC800 that had not been uncrated. Honda was offering all kinds of incentives for the dealer to sell the bike. I rode it until 2005, when I hit an oil spill on as I was exiting a highway in Arizona. My wife limited my budget, and I wanted something that was shaft or belt driven. My interest in scooters began with seeing scooters with larger diameter wheels (ie. Piagio B200) I looked at an x9 and then thought I ought to look around and see what else may be available. I walked into a show room and saw a Burgman 650. It met the criteria of having larger wheels, no chain drive and the cost was within the budget. My daughter called it an alien. It was almost too practical. The underseat storage was similar to what I was used to from riding the PC800. As with every other bike purchase, I had not ridden the Burgman before purchase. It was the first bike that I added farkles to beyond a backrest. It gave me the Burgman grin until I was T-boned by a Chevy Tahoe. I enjoyed more than 36,000 miles on the bike. In the gallery, there are pictures of the bike loaded for camping. Great fun.

Rather than convert from Vespa,I really should have called myself a convert to Burgman. :)

Thanks for the opportunity to tell my story.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts