Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks-
This is my first post here. I have been admiring scooters and riding motorcycles for 40 years or so, and when the Helix first came out I swore one day I would have one, only I was hoping for a bigger motor.
Now I have choices...
Here's the problem- I am 6' 9" tall, weigh..maybe 320, and wonder if I'll fit on one of these scooters. My wife likes to ride with me and she's no midget so together we can put 500 lbs on 2 wheels.

My Honda VTX 1800 takes the weight with ease, and it's like they built it for me as far as general fit- reach to the bars, floorboard placement, etc.
BUT
I am getting too old to hold up an 800 lb. motorcycle when it tips a bit like it did the other day- I almost had to abandon ship and jump off as I was trying to hold up 1300 lb worth of bike and passengers with one leg and it was tipping further and further, finally I gave a mighty heave and got it back upright but I decided it was time for something much lighter, say 500 lb max give or take a few lb.
Are there any folks here my size or near it? How do you fit?
( if there are none I guess you don't fit eh?)
I haven't even seen a Burgman in Eastern MA, though I haven't scouted the dealers yet.
Thanks for being here- this site is very informative

best
jgwoods

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome jgwoods!

Thanks for asking. Long story short - I dunno.

Seems to me that you still have a bit "of grunt" left - so don't sell yourself short! The big burg could haul your (singular) heft w/o a prob. I think it would be a thing of "fit."

Dude - all I can spout is - crank yo ass down to the local 'zuki dealer and give it a "test fit!"

I only weigh ~ 200# fully clothed and am only 6 foot (with reg. shoes). I know (sorta) that with this gigantic corbin seat that I have, you (without the squeeze) would have a very good ride. Add her and then you'd be looking at gross GVR etc.

Other voices need to "speak" here 'cause I am outta that envelope.

Pete.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am 6'6", 34.5" inseam, and about 220 lbs. A bit smaller than you are. I had to go to a Clearview XXL windscreen (the largest they make) for adequate wind protection. I also removed the backrest and had the seat recovered to get about 2" more legroom. Depending on how your height is distributed (legs vs upper body) you may be challenged to find a really good solution to either the seat or windscreen. Corbin does make a seat that gives even more legroom than just removing the backrest. I would say that finding good ergonomic solutions to the seat and windscreen will be more of a challenge than the weight thing. Manufacturers tend to rate carrying capacity very conservatively (lawsuit avoidance) and in practice, the bikes often do fine carrying more weight than they are rated for. But I think you'll be somewhat close to the practical limit. I do run Ikon shocks, which have stiffer springs than the stock ones, so that might also be an option for you.

Probably can be done, but you are looking at a project and some aftermarket expenditures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me help ya, 6'1 @ 331lbs Bike fits fine. I sold my 750 honda to get my 650 Burgman and it has far more power. as for passangers, The GVWR or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the 650 Burgman is 455kg or 999lbs. Quoted from page 44 in my user manual. Yup it will hold you a passanger and a picnic basket. As for the keeping a bike from dropping it, make sure you remind the passanger to sit STILL. Hope this has helped you.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
blade45102 said:
...The GVWR or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the 650 Burgman is 455kg or 999lbs. Quoted from page 44 in my user manual. Yup it will hold you a passanger and a picnic basket....
It would have to be a small passenger and a small picnic basket.

A. GVWR = 999 pounds
B. Vehicle Weight = 524 pounds
C. Useful Load (A-B) = 475 pounds
D. Full Fuel Useful Load (C-(4*6.1)) = 450.6
E. Rider's stated weight = 320 pounds
F. Passenger and Cargo weight (D-E) </= 130.6 pounds

As Pauljo stated, the manufacturer's limits are conservative, but you would be pushing the envelope to ride 2-up. Proceed with due caution and at your own risk.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Earlier this week I went with a friend to get new tires installed on his Concours. We had a couple of hours to kill and decided we'd take my 650 to go get breakfast.
I weigh 260 (6'-2") and my buddie weighs 240 (6'-1"). We both fit on the bike with no problem - plenty of room. The scoot had enough power but sure wasn't quite as quick off the line. The biggest problem was that the heavy weight on the passenger's seat did make the front end light and you had to watch the "twitchy" feeling at low speed and when starting off or stopping. The suspension bottomed out on some relative minor bumps.
The tires were at factory max recommended pressure and both shocks were set to 5. The bike was able to handle the load but I wouldn't want to ride any extended distances with that weight.

Don

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I'm 6'2" hight wise, I fit using an GIVI windscreen, you may need a Clearview XXL. For your size you will probably need to remove the rider butt stop, but a lot of members do that anyway. As for the weight, me and my wife went around the state (1,200 miles) in about 5 days. The GVW was maxed out with all our gear (1,000 lbs.). There was plenty of power and the ride was better with a heavier load. The shocks were set at #5 and we were able to cruise fine @ 70-80. Handeling was more sluggish, but your not going for performance, or agressive riding 2-up anyway. I would try a test fit if possible. Hope it works, and WELCOME.

·
Registered
857 Posts
JG - if I were you, i'd worry about legroom on the Burgman 650. At your height, you may need to modify the seat so that your knees aren't pressing on the front panels. Mine do a little, and i'm only 6"2" with a 32 inch inseam. Removing the butt-stop on the stock seat would help, but if your inseam is greater than 35 or 36, you still might be a bit tight.

Just my opinion. Go sit on one in a showroom and check it out. Put it on the centerstand so you get the "typical" effect of a riding position.

·
Registered
307 Posts
jgwoods

Where in eastern Ma are you? I'm up on the North Shore and own a 650. I'm 6'5" 240 lbs. After making some changes to the seat at a local shop, I can ride fine.

If you live relatively close to me, you're welcome to try my 650 out for size before you make any decisions. I know finding one in stock in Ma can be a pain.

Bill

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
JG,

I'm 6'4" & 320, not a small person at all. My 650 fits me great, I've added a Laminar Lip to the stock windsheild & thus far have been quite happy with it.

I have a 31" inseam, so most of my height is in the waist, I sit tall in the saddle.

I also added Jac Vinson's backrest with the lower panel. On the unmodified stock seat, my knees kept brushing the dash panel constantly, even with the butt pad all the way back. After adding Jac's backrest, I still adjust it all the way back, but only because that's where my severely bad back likes it. I now have plenty of room around the knees & can change positions easily to accomodate my back.

All that said, you are still quite a bit taller than I, & if that height is mostly legs, you may need to look into a custom seat. The Clearview XXL will almost certainly be a worthy investment as well, as mentioned above.

Riding 2 up shouldn't be an issue if you adjust the suspension & properly manage your tire air pressures to suit the load put on it. The 650 won't make near the HP you're used to, but the torquey nature of this beast will offset that difference somewhat, I think.

Welcome & enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies- I feel welcome!
It sounds/looks like it's going to be a close one but I might fit and better go set on one.
It's kind of funny- I always say that at least there's no headroom problems on a motorcycle, and that's true, but instead there's windshield height issues. It sounds like there's some alternate, taller shields avalaible so that is good, and I duck going under bridges :lol:

The total weight issues seems about as I suspected- I might exceed gvw by some but it likely won't matter much as long as I jack the shocks, set the tires on the high side and expect some lightness in the front end- I may have to go with heavier rear springs to keep the front down. Paul mentioned Ikon shocks as having heavier springs.

Bill I am in Chelmsford, not too far from the North Shore and it would be a help to try sitting on one that is already modified in the seat to see if it will work for me. Maybe we can find the time for a look see sometime in the near future? I'll be glad to make the trip.

Thanks very much to all for the responses- now I have to see how much I can get for a 2002 VTX...

best
jgwoods

·
Registered
307 Posts
jgwoods,

I'm just down in Burlington. LMK what you want to do. By the way, any 650 seat can be 'modified' just by taking off the operators backrest. It's just a matter of removing a couple of screws. I have a customized backrest, but sometimes if I know I'm going riding on just possibly bumpy backroads, I take of the backrest to gain even more legroom.

pm me with what you want to do.

By the way, there's another new Burg rider up your way. In Methuen.

Bill

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam - and I'd imagine that you'll be removing the buttstop as I had to. I went to Bill Mayer Saddles and got the seat re-covered which helped with shock absorption through the seat (when you remove the buttstop your tailbone is riding against a metal panel in the seat pan). Even though I'm not through with the break-in period I notice a remarkable improvement in the quality of the ride.

The next thing I plan to do is add RaceTek cartridge emulators and Ikon shocks. I weigh 250 lbs and plan on riding with the better half and a great deal of gear in tow, so this is a must before we roll into the fall touring season.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
For what its worth, the B650 weighs +/- 630 lbs full wet. With a GVWR of 1000 lbs - 630 lbs wet = 370 lbs remaining for passenger(s) and any gear. The ability to stop safely has a lot to do with determining GVWR.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Yet another reason to drop 40 lbs... :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Another suggestion would be to look at different bikes besides the Burgman 650 (sorry to the faithful). I'm know it isn't as powerful or sophisticated as the Burgman family of scooters but check out a KYMCO Xciting 500. These are big scooters, too big for a lot of riders. It has a wide seat and plenty of leg room. Also it is a real nice looking bike.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scoote ... index.html

Good luck and hope you find a bike you like!

- wisart

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
That looks just like a burgman 400

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I think I saw one of these at NoHo Scooters - and mistook it for a Burgman...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Waldo said:
That looks just like a burgman 400
Really??? Which model the pre 07 or post? I really don't see the similarities other than the sport bike touring look that a lot of maxi's have. I have heard it compared to the T-Max on quite a few occasions though.

Also KYMCO makes it in orange!!!!! Nice to see a vibrant color on a scooter this size.

- wisart

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Not knocking, but just pointing out that the OP posted this in 2005...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts