Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. How bad is it to have old gas in a bike?

2. Is injector cleaner the best first option to try here?

3. How much or little cleaner should I add to the tank? Is it dangerous to put in too much? The bottle just says to dump the whole thing in with a full tank, but I think it's referring to a car's tank, which is far larger than the bike's tank.

4. How much fresh gas should I put in the tank with the cleaner? Can I get things going with just a 1/4 tank, or would a full tank be better?

5. And can I put the cleaner in by itself and let it do its work for a couple hours before adding the fresh gas?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think your over thinking it. Gasoline is hydroscopic substance meaning it absorbs water from it's surroundings. Gas isn't a bottle of milk on the shelf with an expiration date. It's the water that slowly contaminates the gas. Once you cranked the engine the water/gas entered the fuel system(pump, fuel line, injector). Your spark plug might be fouled now. Now all that has to be circulated out so the fresh gas to get to the spark plug. You can add 2/3rds fresh gas to the tank and it may be strong enough to start the bike up. You can drain the old gas from the tank if you feel motivated. You still will need to crank the engine to clear the lines of the old gas. I would also change to oil afterwards since the unburned fuel in the cylinder will contaminate the oil. Fuel cleaner is a good thing but may not be necessary to start it up. So the bottom line is it's the water in the gas keeping it from starting.

Save your self a lot of trouble next time and add fuel additive like stable to keep the gas from absorbing water.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
For storage you should have a full tank and use stabilizer as noted. You could have corrosion or rust in the tank above the fuel level that could end up clogging the fuel filter. I don't know if it's possible to see the inside of the tank, but take a strong flashlight and see if you can see the tank through the fill tube.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
I would try to sphion out as much of the old out. Then mix a good 1 ounce shot of SeaFoam in a 2 gallon can of FRESH gas.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!!! Thanks for all the good advice, guys - much appreciated.

I did siphon out 98% of the old gas that was in there. Put in about 1/5 of a small bottle of STP concentrated injector cleaner and then filled with fresh gasoline. Rocked the bike back and forth a bit to mix it and then gave her a start. Caught right away and sounded great!

I think it wasn't just the bad gas but the combination of that plus the weak battery not able to turn it over very well.

Anyway, it's purring nicely now. Tomorrow I'll do an oil change just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again, everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts