Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred USB cable route from Glove BoxCig lighter socket / USB outlet up to dash / handlebars area ?

Or are you drilling a hole somewhere ?

I'm working on a Ram Cell Mount....

TY mucho - David

·
Super Moderator
15,719 Posts
I just used a flat USB cable from the cig lighter/power socket that I'd stuck a converter in. Never had an issue whether running it to my mount on my left side brake fluid container or into the big.
Just make sure the bin and the glove compartment latch properly or ya get a rude surprise when ya hit the first bump. Kept meaning to do something more fancy, but ended up riding instead.

·
Super Moderator
6,044 Posts
You can go out of through the back of the battery box following the existing cable run and then up through where the existing wiring passes through the dash to the bars.

Note that you probably have a spare auxiliary power connector on the existing harness in the nose. This is used for heated grips etc, usually has an orange and a black wire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My GPS is attached directly to the battery on my Burgman 400.

GPS is mirror mounted on left mirror stem. Cable drops down and routes through the handle-bar cover. It enters right next to the brake reservoir and exits down in the middle along with the brake and throttle cables. The cable then enters the battery compartment through existing hole where it is then connected to battery.

Only piece of Tupperware I took off to do this was the same piece necessary to remove if you were to replace or upgrade the windshield. Then used stiff wire to fish the wire through where I needed it to go.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
Is there a preferred USB cable route from Glove BoxCig lighter socket / USB outlet up to dash / handlebars area ?

Or are you drilling a hole somewhere ?

I'm working on a Ram Cell Mount....

TY mucho - David
Well, here's my experience, which I understand is not everyone's cup o' tea, not everyone is as cavalier regarding drilling through plastic, etc., etc. But I don't like having USB cords try to sneak out of cubbies, nor having them directly connected to a battery.

Having said that, I am pleased with my USB setups -- this is sort of obvious, because I've made the same mod to my last three bikes, from about a decade ago to three months ago:
  • Buy 3BR Powersports Panel TAPP.
  • Drill a hole and put that in.
  • Wire it such that it is hot only when the ignition's on.
Here are some pics.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour (look way over on the bottom right of the dash area, partially hidden in this pic):
Speedometer Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Odometer

2008 Exec (purchased in 2016):
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Personal luxury car Automotive design

2022 BMW C400GT:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I use the USB port almost exclusively to power successive models of GoPro cameras. The caps from 3BR make this a rainproof proposition, which is important to me -- but may not be to you -- as they also include a rubber boot and some sticks-to-itself silicone stretchy tape; you put the boot over the end of the device to be plugged in, and wrap the tape around it, e.g.:
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

3BR has modified their product line-up a little since I bought my last Panel TAPP about three months ago, but the concept is the same.

Also note that 3BR used to have a note on their web site that warned against having their (or anyone's) USB products hot all the time, i.e., even when the bike is off, because of the parasitic current draw of USB ports even when nothing is plugged into them. Now, however, they assert that their latest versions have such minimal not-in-use draw that this is not an issue. Nevertheless, I would still wire up their USB products to be powered only when the bike is: better safe than sorry.

If you're curious about this, I have a half-dozen or so pics of this farkle that I took just a couple of months ago, when I did this to my brand new C400GT, starting with this image/caption in my gallery for that scoot:

I'm not very familiar with the 400 Burgers, but I assume that there's some vacant tupperware area to be able to do this sort of mod, if you're interested in it.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to put this link in somewhere:

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang you guys don't disappoint.

You all offered
1 - a casual method

2 - a moderate method

3 - a Pro / Fancy method

For me to follow

I gotta do this quick so I'll go basic for now.

Winters the time for Fancy upgrades lol !

TTY So much - David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts