·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know

1 - What tire pressure you use Front & Rear
2 - do you consider your bike loading to be "normal" or "two up" weight
3 - how many miles on the tires.

Personal observation that may help others. What brand tire....first or second set..... What scooter 400 or 650

Maybe we can come up with a better recommendation (and starting point) for tire air pressure then the manual .

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Burgman 650. I weigh 220 lbs, and always have some stuff in the trunk (contingency items like extra tools, tire patch kit, air pump, heavy duty tire gauge, flashlight, etc.). Some weight there, not sure just how much, but I keep it in a hump bag shoved back in the tail section so it is basically over the rear tire. Riding style involves brisk accelleration, lots of 65 to 70 mph cruising on rural highways, some suburban stop & go. I've done several tours with the scooter loaded up and flying down the Interstate at 80 mph all day (which I think accelerates tire wear considerably).

I run 33 psi In the front tire, and 41 psi in the rear, in accordance with Suzuki's recommendation.

The stock Bridgestone rear was replaced at just over 5000 miles. It had worn very flat in the middle and was very close to the wear bars. Note: I had not always run that tire at 41 psi. I had put some miles on it at 36 psi, which is the lower end of Suzuki's recommended inflation range.

I replaced the front Bridgestone at about 9500 miles. It still had ample tread, but the tread pattern had chopped badly and was having a nasty effect on handling. We have many cement roadways here, which tend to chop front tire tread (as opposed to the cupping you get with crowned asphalt roads).

I have been running Pirelli's ever since. I got 8500 miles out of my first rear Pirelli. It was getting close to the wear bars, but had not flattened out much in the center as the Bridgestone had. I had kept that tire at 41 psi throughout its use. I have a fresh one on now. The front Pirelli has about 4000 miles on it and appears to be holding up well.

There are two things I really like about the Pirelli tires. They provide a much smoother ride than the Bridgestones. They also wear better. Handling with the Bridgestones deteriorated as the rear tire wore flat in the middle and the front tread became chopped. The handling of the rear Pirelli remained consistent from new until replacement. I don't have enough miles on the front Pirelli yet to tell if it will do the same, but I suspect that it will wear better than the Bridgestone did. The Pirellis cost less too, but I would buy them for their ride and wear characteristics even if they cost the same as Bridgestones.

What I don't know, is if the longer tire life from the Pirelli rear tire was due more to it's design - or the fact that I kept it at the high end of the inflation range. What I do know is that it rode fine at 41 psi, while the Bridgestone felt quite harsh at that inflation.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have 9,036 miles on my original OEM Bridestones. Currently 2mm tread depth on the rear (within specs) and 1.3 on the front (slightly low). I need to measure again, though, because I forgot that the last time I measured I hadn't calibrated my caliper/depth gauge and it'd been in the box for a while.

I run 41PSI in the rear and 36 in the front (slightly above recommended). I tend to measure after riding a bit, though, so I'm probably running cold-tire pressures slightly lower than what I listed.

I have my shocks set at 3 now, after having tested everything from 1 to 5. This seems to give me the best compromise between handling and comfort. I ride almost exclusively solo, and more than 50% of my riding is on the freeways.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Randy said:
I would like to know

1 - What tire pressure you use Front & Rear
2 - do you consider your bike loading to be "normal" or "two up" weight
3 - how many miles on the tires.

Personal observation that may help others. What brand tire....first or second set..... What scooter 400 or 650
1. 36 front 40 back, cold. feel a bit stiff (even at 1 setting). Houston streets are rough...very rough.
2. light...i ain't heavy, i am its brother
3. OEM (rear) let go at 12,500. 200 miles on Pirelli right now. It works great, but I am watching the wear closely.

95% of my riding are on freeways.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
650 1st
33F and 36R on Bridgestones per manual solo riding. Around 2,500 miles, I noticed the tires starting to cup and changed the pressures to 36F 41R. 7,500 miles - rear developed a flat area in the center and hit the wear bars. Front still had about half the tread. Sold bike

3 to 4 lbs over on front solo recommendation and two-up rear recommendation (do not remember exact #s). Bridgestones. Around 7,500 miles, front starting to cup, rear flat in center and may need to be replaced in 1,000 to 1,500 miles – sold bike

650 2nd
35F 41R – 2,500 miles so far - Bridgestones. Dropped the rear to 40, I assume it will develop a flat area in the center anyway. Will be changing to Pirellis when these were out.

Riding – solo 185lbs, most riding on two lane twisty roads and mountain roads, ride fairly aggressively.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Okey-dokey...
  1. 33 psi front / 41 psi back (The two-up recommendation by Suzuki)
    [/*:m:1elzyt7i]
  2. In the past, 80% of the time I was riding two-up. With riding gear my wife and I add around 380 lbs to the scoot, more if touring. Don't bother to change shock settings or tire pressure for the 20% of one-up riding I do. This may change as now my wife is licensed and rides my old Reflex. We still plan on doing the touring part two-up, but local rides will probably find us on our own scoots.
    [/*:m:1elzyt7i]
  3. 10,890 miles out of the OEM rear tire, more from the front. To make things simple, changed them both at the same time with another set of Bridgestones.[/*:m:1elzyt7i]

·
Registered
969 Posts
When I check, which is rarely, I usually add enough to get to Suzuki's recommended single rider pressure. I don't readjust for two-up, as we don't get together that often. With 10,747 miles on the original Bridgestones, the rear has probably a 3 inch wide flat spot, the center 3/4" or so of which has no tread whatsoever. Truthfully, I'm not all that concerned about it, and I ought to try to get a couple thousand more miles out of it, but I've ordered another rear, and will replace the original before the middle of next month, when I'll be riding to Deal's Gap.

The front is fine. I suspect it'll go three rears to one front. But I could be wrong - usually am. :wink:

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.Now were are the 400 riders ?

I don't think we can mix the two bikes together-different size tires-

·
Registered
135 Posts
650 factory set of tires
36psi both front and rear at all times
13000 miles and going strong
mostly normal loading sometimes 2up
a ot of miles are from highway riding

·
Registered
62 Posts
10300 miles on the original OEM Bridgestone tires, with a lot of tread left.

Ride single most of the time, I weigh in at 250+.

Run 33 in the front, 41 in the rear, shocks at 4.

I commute 14 miles to work, do most of my riding on backroads.

·
Registered
300 Posts
tire info

Interesting responses.

Check pressures regularly 33Front /36 Rear on OEM tires w/ 7800mi.
I ride the superslab a lot and ride the FM roads pretty aggressively on the weekends.

If convenient, I will adjust for 2 up riding which is about 50% of time.
We are lightweights me: 128lb and wife: 115lb (she'd be mad if I gave her measurements! HAHA)

Rear is getting close to being replaced - 800 miles? I have a Pirelli in the garage waiting to be put on. I just need a Pirelli front from somewhere but I imagine I will go through another rear by the time I need a front tire.

I should get a comission from Dealer. I just convinced a buddy to buy one but he bought the slower one - blue

Ride safe, Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts