Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 650 standard model and my wife has the 400. I just did her oil and filter and check up/ test drive. While I was riding her 400 I was thinking, I would really like to have the simple cvt drive unit on my 650. I never use the standard option or the power button. I just twist and go. It would eliminate a lot of extra machinery that could go wrong. I wouldn.t even mind changing a belt every 15 or 20k. I quess I just like things uncomplicated. I have only had my 650 for a short time and am not completely trusting of it yet. Anyway Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Sounds like you should look at a Honda Silverwing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My past 4 bikes have been suzuki so i'm not about to jump ship. Like I said it was just a thought.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not know honda had that kind of set up on their bike. Just thought I would try to get a little talk going. It seems kind of quiet. Maybe just the time of year.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The only thing wrong with the 400 is that it doesn't have the 650 drive system. :thumbup: There's a whole lotta drive slippin' and high motor revin' going on with the 400.......the 650 (drive) just grabs and goes. With that said, if the 650 would just flick like the 400.....then the grin would be unbearable. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Probably because it has been discussed over and over on this board. If you want a larger displacement scooter with a conventional CVT then there are options available like the Silverwing. Many people want what the ECVT can provide and would not want Suzuki to go back to a conventional CVT.

By the way, the manual shift and power functions do not add any mechanical complexity to the ECVT. Those things are accomplished with software in the computer that controls the CVT. I've taken both apart and "mechanically" the ECVT in the 650 is as if not more simple than the conventional CVT in the 400.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think from now on i'm just going to sit back and read. It seems too easy to to upset folks.

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
Ernie M said:
I think from now on i'm just going to sit back and read. It seems too easy to to upset folks.
No, no ones upset. Just so many people tend to bash the 650's Ecvt. It starts with an innocent post like this and then turns into a "Darkside " type BASHING FEST. So most of us just leave these posts alone.

This is one of the best forums on the whole WWW. If you get out of line, a MOD will snap a virtual "KNOT" in your back side. One of our best informational posters was a Brit named SNAVE. He could not play nice with others (and some of those OTHERS were very good at pushing his buttons) so he was exiled.

I could not stand changing a flippen belt once a year. It would drive me nutts. I'd go with a modern chain drive bike over a rubber band drive belt that 100's of smaller scooters use.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Ernie M said:
You didn't upset me. You gave me quite a chuckle since I have a 400 and totally prefer the simple, yet efficient CVT drive on it over the 650's CVT. ;)

It actually makes a lot of sense. Few riders put on the miles of someone like Dave_J and Buffalo. Some folks consider making it to 10,000 miles in 8-9 years of ownership a major milestone...and it is for them. For the casual weekend rider, a CVT belt like a 400 has would perhaps never need to be changed. You won't get the sudden push into the rear seat because a rubber band CVT varies the gear ratio infinitely. But you'll still get great acceleration.

BTW, keep posting. It looks like you woke up some of these folks around here. :lol:

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Ernie M said:
You didn't upset me. I'm just stating my feelings on the subject. You did succeed in getting a little talk going :) .

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Well I just read the whole thread and you've upset the crap outta me.

:D

j/k

:wave:

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
rustynail said:
Well I just read the whole thread and you've upset the crap outta me.

:D

j/k

:wave:
And like a good Marine, you take it, forget it and move out smartly. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Didn't upset me at all.....I consider myself one of the very lucky ones as I get to ride both.....my signature calls them both The GRINerators for multiple distinct reasons. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the Silverwing 600 and it had more than enough power to go an indicated 85+mph all day. It maxed out at an indicated 110mph. The speedometer was also optimistic like the B650. The Silverwing was very reliable with people easily going 100,000mi. The belt change was every 16,000mi. The Silverwing feels much smaller than the Burgman 650. On the Swing, you swap out the rubber band and some swapped out the roller bearings every 16,000mi. Performance wise the Swing 600 and the Burg 650 are somewhat similar.

I realize how heavy and big this Burgman 650 is the longer I have it. I am going to take one more 600+mi ride on my B650 when the deserts of AZ and NV cool down. I find myself not wanting to ride the B650 because it feels clumsy compared to my former BMW F800GS and R1200R. The comfort level on the B650 is more comfortable on highway cruising than my BMWs. I would have no problems going coast-to-coast. I don't know if using the B400 drive or Swing600 drive would remove some of the weight of the B650 :?: Most people don't mind the CVT, I think it is more of the headache when the CVT breaks down. Many will like not having to periodically change out the rubber band and roller bearings every 16,000mi.

In reality, I can find nothing wrong with the B650 as it has been flawless. I may look into something a little smaller that the B650 after this summer. It will be just because I change bikes so often and not because anything is wrong with the B650. On most bikes you add a windshield and luggage to tour. The B650 comes with all this and more :D If I do trade in my B650, it would be to downsize to something smaller even though I do have my Honda SH150i as my daily commuter.

In some cases the best 650 with a 400 drive is the Burgman 400 :wink: or the Silverwing 600 :idea:

·
Registered
842 Posts
The best of both worlds would be for suzie "Q" to upgrade the 400 to a 600 and the 650 to a 750. That way i could go back to the 400/600
and leave the 650/750 and it's cvt issues behind.

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
See, told ya so. :twisted: :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
wayneman said:
The best of both worlds would be for suzie "Q" to upgrade the 400 to a 600 and the 650 to a 750. That way i could go back to the 400/600 and leave the 650/750 and it's cvt issues behind.
I am seriously considering getting the Honda Shadow 750(shaft drive) and use this as my B650. It has been so busy and I don't get much of a chance to tour. When I decide to tour then I'll either rent a B650 so I don't give a darn if the CVT breaks down :lol: I "baby" my B650E so it might as well be a B400 or a Swing600. When I swapped out the rubber band on my Swing600, it was in amazingly good condition and I was told it could have easily gone another 16,000mi. I did ride the Swing much harder than I do the B650.

I'm not into performance as I've had all the Gixers and Superbikes with the last being 2 Hayabusas. The Honda Shadow 750 has shaft drive so I don't have to worry about rubber bands, chain or CVT. If I do light touring I'll just throw some soft luggage. The B650 is really a touring bike and for L.A. bump-to-bumper for me is impractical. I have to pull the mirrors in when splitting traffic. The bike is heavier than my last R1200. If I did more touring I would keep the B650. Again I'll put another 600+mi on my next trip and decide whether or not to keep the B650.

Keep in mind, there is nothing wrong with the B650. It rides smooth and touring is very comfortable. The B650 is not a flickable bike. I keep it in auto mode to take it easy on the CVT. In other words I don't use the power mode or manual mode again to go easy on the CVT. So I'm thinking that I have all these options on my B650, but I never use them so I don't tax the CVT and instead use my Honda SH150i. I flog the SH150i, with full throttle on the freeway, stop and go so everything I would never do on the B650. I know in another 10,000mi I'll be swapping rubber bands and roller bearings out of my SH150i. Anyways I'm keeping the Honda SH150i :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts