·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lumens:

If you having Problems Finding a Bright LED to replace your Old Light bulbs

LEDs that are bright enough to replace incandescents bulbs who want to replace

for a 40-watt bulb, look for 380-450 lumens
for a 60-watt bulb, should look for an LED that produces close to 750-850 lumens
for a 75-watt bulb, should look for an LED that produces close to 1100-1300 lumens
for a 100-watt bulb, should look for an LED that produces close to 1600-1800 lumens
Direct sunlight = 100,000 lumens

Myth 1: LEDs last forever:
LED sources slowly fade over time. This light output degradation, or lumen depreciation, is determined by testing LED sources over a period of 6,000 hours or more. Factors that can cause lumen depreciation include drive current and heat generated within the device itself.

Myth 2: LEDs are not bright enough:
If you compare the raw lumen output of conventional lamps with the lumen output of many LED lighting fixtures, it often seems that LED fixtures deliver less light than the conventional incandescents. Such comparisons, however, are inaccurate and misleading, as they fail to account for the significant amount of wasted light in conventional lighting solutions.

Myth 3: White-light LED sources produces more lumens:
The typical expected output of LED sources integrated into lighting fixtures. Although percentages vary, it is not uncommon to see efficacy losses of up to 40%.

Myth 4: Three-watt LEDs are brighter than one-watt LEDs:
Because of incandescent light bulbs, you’re probably used to looking at wattage to determine the light output of a light source: a 100-watt lamp puts out more light than a 60-watt lamp.

Myth 5: LEDs generate no heat
light from an LED source is cool. However, waste heat is produced within the LED itself during the conversion of electricity into light. This waste heat must be properly removed from the lighting system to maximize fixture performance and to avoid damage to the LEDs. Heat removal is accomplished through carefully designed and engineered heat sinks that draw heat away from the LEDs and dissipate it into the air.

How many lumens for an led replacement vs stock 1156 or 1157 bulb?:
A standard 1156 bulb puts out about 400 lumens when new. In some cases haven't found an LED replacement that puts out any more, and most are only 50 lumens or so, not enough for a standard 1156 housing.
Stop/Turn 21W bulb puts out 460 lumens. For a 5W Side marker / Tail bulb puts out 50 lumens ,strangely low, I know and 10W Tail light 125 lumens.
Using a Red LED for a brake light or an Amber LED for Turn signals, then less lumens are needed. This is because the Red lens of a brake light filters out all the blue, yellow, green, etc out of white light, but filters nothing from a Red LED. The question now is: What is the percentage of Red in the light output of a White incandescent bulb?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
http://www.superbrightleds.com

also, when I replace automotive bulbs with LEDs, I put AMBER LEDs behind amber lenses, and RED LEDs behind RED lenses.

An incandescent bulb emits light in all colors of spectrum, so using a white bulb behind red or amber really wastes light, so the lights are of far more wattage than needed to be visible to specs. If you take RED LEDs behind RED lenses, you are literally not wasting any light.....

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=561417

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRTuhjHltE

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. QuantumRift, that is the Question? i was wondering why i was not getting any Lumen behind my Red plate, using a White 650 Lumen Module, im gonna have to get a red one. :thumbup:

Elliott,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts