Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stuck in a major traffic jam this morning and the heat outside was unbearable! I've got a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that is ok when moving, but at a stand still it's terrible. I just ordered the Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 jacket here http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eSho ... i?pid=1300 for $59 plus shipping. Apparently the 3.0 model is out now so this one's a bargain.

Andy

·
Registered
409 Posts
Andy:

looks like a great deal. Buy the dry tek liner. It is worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Fieldshear summer jacket and I love it. Hot when you're sitting still, but the air really circulates well when you're moving. The removable liner also keeps me comfortable down to 50 or so.

Are you commuting in to work? I take Old Keene Mill to I-395 into the District. I love riding the scooter to work - it's the absolutely fastest/easiest way to get into the city.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Commuting

Yeah...I've been riding 395 into DC for about 4 months now. I don't miss the VRE at all. I'm just waiting to see if I get pinged by all the cicadas that are starting to fly around now.

Andy

·
Registered
320 Posts
Jackets

I've got a Joe Rocket Ballistic (sp?) tex jacket with mesh vents. It can get warm if I'm standing still--I unzip it as soon as I get off the bike--but the venting really circulates air well. For stand-stills, I wet a bandana and wrapped it around my neck. (Minimal dripping so that's good even for commuters.)

Bryna

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Jackets

Invincsum said:
I've got a Joe Rocket Ballistic (sp?) tex jacket with mesh vents. It can get warm if I'm standing still--I unzip it as soon as I get off the bike--but the venting really circulates air well. For stand-stills, I wet a bandana and wrapped it around my neck. (Minimal dripping so that's good even for commuters.)

Bryna
I've got one of those. My brother just bought the Alpinstars summer jacket for $200.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Joe Rocket jacket

<<I've got one of those. My brother just bought the Alpinstars summer jacket for $200.>>

Do you like it, Aaron?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If your looking for something a little different very light weight yet fair to good protection (even better w/ armor in place) try the Brosh Sportex jacket This jacket is made for motorcycle riding and does work in hot weather..
(site does not work w/ Netscape ) 8)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Commuting

avgibson said:
Yeah...I've been riding 395 into DC for about 4 months now. I don't miss the VRE at all. I'm just waiting to see if I get pinged by all the cicadas that are starting to fly around now.

Andy
The cicadas have been horrible! Thankfully, my riding gear (full-faced helmet, gloves, and jacket) have saved me. :lol:

In addition to the windshield, I've been struck on the helmet visor (scary!), hand, and chest. I had to wipe my helmet visor with a towel when I was struck at 75MPH on I-395 yesterday. Talk about a violent explosion!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cicadas

Man! I never thought to keep a towel handy. I had one nail my windshield this morning and one pinged my helmet at a traffic light. Also, when I pulled into the parking garage today I found two "hitchhikers" on my pants.

I saw a "Super Scooter" rider today on "E" St.. He was riding a Blue Silverwing. That's the first one I've seen downtown. What time do you usually get onto 395?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, I always keep a towel in the glove box. I usually use it to wipe off the seat before I ride in the morning. I don't have a garage at home, so the seat's sometimes wet with dew in the morning.

I like to head out between 6:00 and 6:30 in the morning. Any later and there is just too much traffic on 395.

Do you pay to park in a garage downtown? Is it the same rate as for cars? The garage in my building (1800 G St.) charges $16 per day, so I just park on the street at the corner of 18th and G for free. If that spot is full, I'll try to park in front of the World Bank on Penn, but you have to feed the meters there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh man, living in the Carolina's you guys got me thinking about them cicadas now. I ride without a jacket and only a half helmet and goggles - mebbe I need to rethink my wardrobe.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts