Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hot does the muffler get on the 650?
What I really mean is how hot does the heat shield get?

Can you get burned from it, or does it just get warm?
Is it plastic or metal? If it's plastic that answers the heat question.

The exhaust pipes are kind of tucked under where nobody can touch them unless they really work at it, so I guess that's not a problem.

My concern is for my passengers or little children.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My aftermarket Remus does not have a heat shield. It still is not a problem. These mufflers don't get as hot as you probably imagine, and they cool down rather quickly once you turn off the engine. They are also positioned where a passenger is not likely to come in contact with them.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Especially if they mount/dismount from the left side like they're supposed to. :)
Same as a horse isn't it? :lol:

Is it because the side stand leans left that we mount from that side?
With the burg we could use either side actually. :wink:

BTW, where is the side stand on a horse?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
...Is it because the side stand leans left that we mount from that side?
Or maybe the side stand is on the left because that's the side we traditionally mount from. Chicken and egg question, isn't it?

I find it interesting that American and Japanese/British bikes lean the same way, even though we ride and park on opposite sides of the road.

Is to the topic at hand, although the heat shield won't get too hot, exposed parts of the muffler can...enough to melt a plastic tarp thrown over the bike in haste. (No, I didn't do that; but someone I know did.)

Best to teach children and folks new to motorcycles and scooters to watch out for potential danger zones.

I always go through the same routine with everyone, experienced or not, the first time they ride with me:

Don't get on or off until I say it's okay.
Always get on or off from the left.
Don't touch the engine or exhaust pipes; they'll bite.
Don't put your feet down unless I tell you to.
Lean with me.
Hold on to me or the rails any time the engine is running, even when stopped at lights.
Etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Brian said:
Always get on or off from the left.
This brings up a question - although I haven't had my Burgie out on the road yet (I've got an appointment at DMV for next Tuesday!) the wife and I have "tried it on for size" in the garage. But, she has medical issues with her knees that preclude her getting on the left side - she can only get on and off from the right side. When we start riding together are we going to get yelled at a lot when people see her using the right side of the scoot?

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
As for passinger boarding, as long as the rider knows up front about it, and approves, and can brace as required, no one will say much. Usually the bike is vertical when the passinger mounts, but the rider must brace a bit differently.

I think the left side is easier for most because that's where the side stand is, even on bicycles. It leans toward you, the handlebars are closer, like a invitation. thats just the way is has been, and probably will be. I like the horse analogy, probably thats how it got to be that way. If they were on the right side, I think we would be getting on from the right.

The rider is in charge, however, the rider must have consideration for the passinger. If the passinger is not comfortable, with speed or riding habits of the rider, no one is happy, or safe.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My passenger gets on depending how I park. Sometimes it's the left and sometimes the right. The bike is always upright and under my control no matter what side the passenger mounts the machine.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, and we face forward on a horse too, because that's the direction it wants to go in. (usually) :twisted:

I suppose the only other mounting option for the burg is the "take a run at it and leapfrog legs spread" style on to the rear seat. :lol:
OW!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian said:
I find it interesting that American and Japanese/British bikes lean the same way, even though we ride and park on opposite sides of the road.
Gotcha :shock: - see you guys DO ride on the wrong freaking side of the road!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We can mount from the pavement (sidewalk)! :lol: 8)

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
My aftermarket Remus does not have a heat shield. It still is not a problem. These mufflers don't get as hot as you probably imagine, and they cool down rather quickly once you turn off the engine. They are also positioned where a passenger is not likely to come in contact with them.
Paul,

I am ONE STEP from sending you my camcorder so you can record a sound file of this exhaust for me! I wish I coul HEAR that sucker...... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts