Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the horsepower of the Burgman 650?

I have read different numbers in different places ranging from 40-50. :?

Please give your number and source of information.

Thanks.

Janine :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Look here: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki ... n_2003.php

They state 55hp @7000rpm.

Dave B.
------------------------------------------------------
By the way, you can find this information the same way I did... Go to http://www.google.com. Search for "Suzuki Burgman 650" in quotes, followed by +hp. Not every site found will have the info you want. Sooner or later one will, though.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Horsepower rating is more significant with a standard transmission. Peak horsepower is at high rpms - and with skill, and a standard transmission, you can keep it in the max powerband. Most street motorcycle riders do not have that skill, so they are not ever experiencing max horsepower from their bikes. Those who could, would be flirting with a major ticket (or worse) by riding that way on the street.

The Burgman with it's ECVT transmission does not operate that way. The ECVT thrives on torque. The Burgman engine is tuned for high torque, at the expense of horsepower. I read a magazine road test that pointed out that the Burgman engine produces almost as much torque as horsepower - quite remarkable. The CVT is programmed to hold the engine at it's torque peaks. If you modified the engine to get more high rpm horsepower, you would lose mid-range torque, and the scooter would perform worse. It is entirely different technology, and it dilutes the significance of horsepower.

Trying to explain this to a motorcycle rider is going to be more trouble than it is worth. However, getting the jump on them pulling away from a stoplight, is something they can understand. :lol: It is easy to do, because you almost instantly in your torque band, and they are not usually going to be in their horsepower band.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
JKerstinJ said:
What is the horsepower of the Burgman 650?
Please give your number and source of information.
37.4 horsepower at rear wheel (dynamometer test)

Top speed: 101MPH (RADAR measurement)
0 - 1/4 mile: 15.19 sec. @ 84.9MPH
0 to 60MPH: 7.0 sec.
60 to 0MPH: 120.8 feet
Power-to-Weight Ratio: 1:16.23 (607 pound wet weight & 37.4 horsepower)
Speed @ 65MPH indicated: 59.8MPH

The above chart is from Motorcycle Consumer News' test of an AN650K4 last year.
MCN commented on how flat the 650's horsepower curve was as a result of the CVT.

JKerstinJ said:
I have read different numbers in different places ranging from 40-50. :?
The different figures are because some people give the horsepower at the engine, and some at the rear wheel (where transmission losses reduce it significantly).

It's at the wheel that it really counts, though, because some bikes have greater losses than others.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:D All i know is it gets off the line very quickly. My freind and i were out one night. And i got the jump on him. And he didn't strat climbing on me till we reached 93mph. He was on a 800cc intuder. He couldn't belive a scooter stayed ahead of him like that. It was all in fun. I wanted to see what the 650 would do. I think performance of what you got. Is more important than whay have. If that makes any since. :wink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Horse Power

The difference in the title HP is because it will be higher and some states charge the licence fees from that number. That figure is crankshaft horse power and the last I checked you need a trans and drive line to make it go not to mention some place to sit while getting there. The only number that counts is rear wheel HP. Also don't forget that you can multiply torque through gears but you can't do the same to HP.
When I had my Burgman on the dyno with the changes made to it I pulled 39.18 at the rear wheel in 4 gear at 7125 rpm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts