Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions.

what's the factory runout spec for the front wheel both laterally and radially? I'm kinda guessing at the terms but they seem OK. I have the needed mount and toolmaker quality gauge to do the measuring. I'm worried that I'll find runout and that means my cast wheel is somehow distorted and / or cracked within ( I can't see anything on the wheel exterior that indicates a problem.)

Here's what happens. If I take both hands off the bars within a second or so they will start to oscillate like crazy! If I don't grab them to stop it I think I'm guaranteed a crash. I can ride any of my other bikes with no hands at highway speeds for short intervals with no problems.

If you remember I asked about an oscillation when I applied my front brake extremely hard, which I've learned to live with and I compensate when I
need to brake hard.

I wasn't sold on my Bergman until recently, for the first few weeks it was very weird to ride. When I rode my other bikes, ranging from a CBR125 to a C40 Suzuki and my old 750 Sabre. (It goes like ****) they all felt normal the the Burgie was so different feeling. But now I like my Burgman and want to make it as safe as possible for people like my SO who might want to take it for a spin or errands.

I have to get rid of this weird shake/oscillation.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the same thing. When I have the cruise control on, it doesn't do it. But when I'm just coasting, it will do what you described. The theory I e come up with is 1. The mirrors are affected by the wind and that makes them shake. 2. Because it's a CVT and not gears, it won't hold a speed. It just starts slowing down which also makes the bars shake. I can and most likely am totally off with these, but that's what I've come up with.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Balance front wheel and check wheel bearings.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Balance front wheel and check wheel bearings.
Yup, that was my first thought. Bike should ride true without your hands on the bars, at least for a while.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes to what Jim said also.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How would we go about checking them? I know my wheel is balanced, but the bearings for the steering head and wheel I have no idea how to check. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the helpful info.

My bike just had a MOT inspection before I got it, the MOT inspection is required to register the bike in my name.

It covers the entire steering assembly, bearings, bars, wheels, and they are supposed to pay close attention to the head/frame.

So...I guess a wheel balance problem then? Shouldn't the bike bounce up and down and get worse at speed if the wheel is out of balance? , Like a car where you can feel it quite easily.

I really want to fix this as it's the only thing that bothers me about the bike. I'll check the wheel balance and report back.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The wobble is apparent on all Burgman's.
It is enhanced by the engine/tranny braking when you release the throttle. If we had a true neutral this would not happen.
If you have an unbalance front tire or bearing issues it will be worse but......It Is Just Physics and Unavoidable!

Bottom Line - KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE HANDLE BARS!!!

PS- If it wobbles with your hand on the bars....then you need to worry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been giving this more thought and yes, it seems like an unavoidable consequence of the driveline they have. I'll remove the plastic and check the bearing tightness in the next week or so but I don't think I'm going to find anything out of the ordinary from the answers I've had here.8-9

Oh well, it's still a great little? bike and I'm amazed at how well it runs with traffic, even 80+ mph stuff. The high rpm's don't faze me, my vintage Silverwings turned 8000 at 80mph and never missed a beat nor suffered horrendous wear. My CBR125 turns 10,750 at 75mph and just keeps on going.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wally,

My 2004 Burgman 400 has the similar head shake issue. Like you, my other motorcycles have not had this problem except for one my 2002 Daytona 955i Triumph. The Trumph had a slow weave not really a head shake and got worse with speed. Long story short a change in the brand of tires and everything was "normal".

My 400 seems to be getting worse as the front tire wears and now has about 8,000 miles. I'm in the middle of moving from one state to another so checking/adjusting the steering head bearings will be a winter item.

It does seem to be most noticeable coasting because under power (throttle lock) I can usually take my hands off the bars for a few seconds without a headshake. However, the road surface (grooves) makes a big difference too.

My assumption has been it's just a odd quirk of the CVT transmission/scooter layout. Otherwise, I really enjoy the Burgman over a traditional motorcycle.

The headshake doesn't really bother me to bad because the Daytona mentioned above was a road race bike. I spent and entire season racing that bike and doing the "weave" down the straights. it cornered normal though. The bike scared me more than once since the topspeed was over 160mph. Funny now, but I didn't take the advice of the experts and just change the tires which ultimately cured the "weave". Yes, this bike did have a steering damper installed (required equipment to race).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts